It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something just went bump (2:50 pm pacificFeb15

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tropic
Interesting! Nevertheless uncalibrated.

Where is this Java applet reporting seismic activity, from???

Washington state.
But trust me it picks up pretty much everything around the globe, if significant.

There's a news story from years ago, I recorded a 6+ here on van isl, sent the screenshots much like i did with my insignificant "bump"
-changed my name up a bit tho lol

THIS is what happens when the sh1t really hits the fan! No calibration needed lol"

Woke up with my house shaking, checked the link out and saw that! I was shaking as well lol, three mintes later it showed up on usgs, ten to twenty before msm reported it.
edit on 15-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555

Originally posted by tropic
Interesting! Nevertheless uncalibrated.

Where is this Java applet reporting seismic activity, from???

Washington state.

There's a news story from years ago, I recorded a 6+ here on van isl, sent the screenshots much like i did with my insignificant "bump"
-changed my name up a bit tho lol

THIS is what happens when the sh1t really hits the fan! No calibration needed lol"

Woke up with my house shaking, checked the link out and saw that! I was shaking as well lol, three mintes later it showed up on usgs, ten to twenty before msn reported it.

The guys here are simply asking much needed questions about what is some kind of seismograph, You could have obviated the need in the first instance, instead of coming over a bit arrogant, start again, without the internal workings of the graph, just what it represents.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Sorry if I came off as arrogant, that was a cut and paste

Here hope this helps

What

The seismograph applet is a Java applet that displays real-time data obtained from a real, live seismometer located at Western Washington University, in Bellingham, Washington. This means that if you so chose, you could spend hours upon hours sitting and staring at the seismograph, waiting so that you could call you're friends up and say,

"Hey, , wakeup! What? Yes, I know that it's 3:00 in the morning. But guess what? There's an earthquake happening somewhere! 'Cause I can see it! It's on the Web! Yeah, because I've got the Internet in my computer!"
The seismograph updates once every second, and has a data point for every 1/2 second. It displays the output voltage of the seismometer, pictured above, in millivolts. The range is adjustable, so that users can magnify the everyday background-noise to make their lives more exciting, or be more realistic, and watch a nearly straight line. If you are wondering how an applet can read a seismometer, see How.

Why

The Seismograph Applet has several possible uses, one of which is demonstrated above. In addition, it:

demonstrates that Bellingham isn't a completely quiet town.
shows that Java has at least one use other that scolling text in fourteen different colors.
will enable Aaron to finally graduate from WWU. (See Who.)
allows an incredibly lucky visitor to witness actual seismic activity, complete with P, S, and Rayleigh-waves!

Other uses may be invented in the future.

benioff.geol.wwu.edu...

And again sorry for the non-event, I guess that friken exploding rock last night has my science hackles up, lol.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join