It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horsemeat found in Norwegian microwave lasgne, and the nation goes crazy!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It's a nasty scandal, i agree.

But is that really news to ATS-readers, that some company tried to do dodgy things to improve the bottom line ?
If there is some meat for a conspiracy (pun intended) here the scandal would have been contained, and the media would have shut up about it, but they don't. Why?

And seriously. Who knows how REAL meat taste like, without all the crap they inject and feed them with these days? I'm pretty sure i read elsewhere that there are laws in every country on how you should threat cattle, from birth to death, if you wish to sell the meat as food. Some vaccines and other injections are forced by law in some countries.

Then there are all the "add-ons", like growth-hormone, anti-biotics, cheap gene-modified food, and what other kind of horrific methods, to improve the holy bottom line.
edit on 15/2/2013 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Its funny and sad how double standards are just kinda intrinsic to humanity. SOME animal flesh is ok to eat, but some OTHER animal flesh is NOT ok to eat, even though its basically the exact same thing.

Cow meat good. Horse meat bad.

Pig meat good. Dog meat bad.

Chicken meat good. Cat meat bad.

Anyone know that human actually tastes like pork?

It's not about horse meat is bad, it's about false declaration.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

Even more than so,
false marketing is one thing, and not a minor either- what the hell should they label it with in the future, just plain "meat (of some sort, probably of animal origin)" or what?
This is a huge issue.
Second; animals meant for human consumption has regulated medication and feed that is (supposed) not to harm the human organism. If they "sneak" horse meat into the food originated from animals not predestined for human consumption we might have a serious poisoning scandal on our hands (and in our stomachs).
Third; at least to me eating horse is like eating dog. I don't feel OK with doing so. Hypocritical as that may be, it is my own free choice as a consumer to control and condone to my own habits and preferences. They can't just sell food under one label and include something totally different. It is just plain wrong.

This exposes how little respect the food industry has for their customers. Who cares about anything when you can cut costs and maximize profits, ey?
Disgusting.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Replace horse meat, with rancid Romanian donkey and you can understand the outrage?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

The motto after BSE was documents from stable to table. That obviously is not the case and appears now to be little more than a PR excercise.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Well, the whole passport thing can and does work, but because there is no standardisation, some places could easily forge passports while others were nigh-on impossible to forge. The passports don't seem to be issued by the State either, but by the industry, which in my opinion is a bit daft - it's like us issuing own own driving licenses or other ID ourselves....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

When it comes to hormones and other additives (not including anti-biotics), they were all banned in the EU during the 1990's, which caused a bit of a stir with the US were food standards don't really exist and they do use all sorts of nasties in their meat.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yep. The idea was good but we don’t seem to have the ability to make good ideas work anymore. Once the photo opportunities dry up so does the interest.

Also on QT last night it appears the number of inspectors has been reduce

I think the thing that annoys me most is those that buy cheap food (I am not one of them) seem to be identified as part of the problem and people talk about getting back to the days when we ate good quality food. Ignoring this has never been the case. The poor have always sourced its food from the poor end of the market evident by things like haggis, Tripe and other peasant foods.

But as you and I have both said this is about crime

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't know what people are upset over this, its horse meat not rat poison.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by norsefire
Most of you won't have heard of this bit of news, and will probably think "why should I care?".
Well you most likely should not, this is just typical Norwegian hysteria over nothing, they found out that a cheap brand of tv-dinners contain some horsemeat, big deal, but what caught my attention is that this is plastered over the news like its a big deal, what are they trying to direct attention away from?
Either its a boring newsday, or they have something they want attention led away from.
Is this practice exclusive to Norway? Anything big that happend internationally today?

This is a prime example of the idiocy of the Norwegian press, and they can be quite idiotic at some times, watching Norwegian media can make me cringe with embarrasment sometimes, from my perspective it seems their target group is a smiling bunch of idiots who will buy anything.

Its scary to see the big media outlets in this country feeding us sheepfood for the mind, and this is just a prime example, horsemeat, seriously? Is that such a big deal? So ok the producer did not specify this on the box, but I don't mind eating a little horse, doesn't make me rile up in anger. Gives me a little, "Meh" thats all.

But no matter, the Norwegian press has splattered this case all over their front pages like its 22 July(Breivik Terror attack) all over again, 3-4 articles covering this on the same site! Given top priority! And these are newssites that cover international affairs as well!

The sheer stupidity of our media is horrifying! We're supposed to be the most developed country on this planet, and we get riled up over this #? Goddamn....
edit on 15-2-2013 by norsefire because: (no reason given)
would you eat your dog? You should not eat horse, they are sacred.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by norsefire
Most of you won't have heard of this bit of news, and will probably think "why should I care?".
Well you most likely should not, this is just typical Norwegian hysteria over nothing, they found out that a cheap brand of tv-dinners contain some horsemeat, big deal, but what caught my attention is that this is plastered over the news like its a big deal, what are they trying to direct attention away from?
Either its a boring newsday, or they have something they want attention led away from.
Is this practice exclusive to Norway? Anything big that happend internationally today?

This is a prime example of the idiocy of the Norwegian press, and they can be quite idiotic at some times, watching Norwegian media can make me cringe with embarrasment sometimes, from my perspective it seems their target group is a smiling bunch of idiots who will buy anything.

Its scary to see the big media outlets in this country feeding us sheepfood for the mind, and this is just a prime example, horsemeat, seriously? Is that such a big deal? So ok the producer did not specify this on the box, but I don't mind eating a little horse, doesn't make me rile up in anger. Gives me a little, "Meh" thats all.

But no matter, the Norwegian press has splattered this case all over their front pages like its 22 July(Breivik Terror attack) all over again, 3-4 articles covering this on the same site! Given top priority! And these are newssites that cover international affairs as well!

The sheer stupidity of our media is horrifying! We're supposed to be the most developed country on this planet, and we get riled up over this #? Goddamn....
edit on 15-2-2013 by norsefire because: (no reason given)
would you eat your dog? You should not eat horse, they are sacred.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Its funny and sad how double standards are just kinda intrinsic to humanity. SOME animal flesh is ok to eat, but some OTHER animal flesh is NOT ok to eat, even though its basically the exact same thing.

I've heard a person or two who have actually eaten it (heard it on film, of course) that people do taste quite a bit like pork.

And I found a website that sells dog meat and "kitty beef." I spent several bemused moments trying to decide if it was a joke-- but I decided it seems legit.

Regarding the outcry and this issue-- I don't know how it is in Europe or the UK or elsewhere.... but in the US, the ingredients are supposed to be listed on food products like a frozen lasagne. So to write "contains beef, etc" and not list horse meat, when horse meat is actually in the product, would be a misrepresentation of the ingredients.

And yeah, I'd be pretty upset over something like that.

On the other hand, at a burger restaurant, unless they are advertising it as 100% beef, they might be able to better get away with it. I do wonder, though, if even in using the term "hamburger" or "burger" might imply "hamburger meat" aka beef aka cow....

edit on 15-2-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Not many are upset about eating horse... however, many are upset by the lies and by the fact that horse, that has been injected with a carcinogenic drug, has entered the food chain (horse are inject with phenylbutazone)

Just to add my own thoughts... I am more shocked that people believed that their crappy £3.99 microwave meal contained 100% beef. I am completely shocked at peoples blind faith in the whole system... “Oh the shock, the corporates have lied to us”

They have been poisoning the general population for decades! Wake up sleepy heads!

edit on 16-2-2013 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Why shouldn't people get upset about it. If the products were advertised as meat, not beef, I'd agree with you. But we are not only talking about fraudulent advertising of a consumer product, but a supply chain that goes to Romania, where we have no idea what's going in. So there may even be a bit of rats poison somewhere down the line. The fact is we don't know and that's why people are upset.

And if I bought a 3.99 lasagne that was advertised as beef I would expect it to be beef. Maybe a bit of scrotum and trotter and other cheap cuts, but still from a cow.

We have never bred Horses for eating in this country, yet cows have been a staple and there are fields full of cows all around the country. You can't say the same for the horse. It maybe a cultural thing, but so is eating dogs in Korea and we wouldn't do that either.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I would never knowingly choose to eat horse or dog, but I also know what you mean that this sort of scandal seems a bit...too big almost. I've wondered why something like this gets so huge while other outrages never quite get as much attention...

My own answer as best as I can convey it here in a post...really, it's about the fundamental sort of selfishness in human nature.

Mel Brooks said something like 'Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall in a hole and die.'

Most people would care way more about the quality of what they themselves eat or could be eating than thousands of other people starving to death. They wouldn't say that if you asked them, but it's something that is true enough if you judge them by their own actions.

There are studies showing that purchasing pricey and/or high quality food such as organic food correlates very strongly with selfishness.

Written back in the early 1900s, Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle" was supposed to be about the horrible working conditions in the meat packing industry. The novel DID cause an uproar, but few cared about the plight of the workers. The ensuing uproar was all about the shockingly unsanitary practices behind the food that THEY were or could have been eating.

So all in all I'm not surprised it's a huge scandal. For most people, despite what they may say, the idea that they may have eaten horse meat is more horrifying than the idea that other people got blown up by a drone or starved to death or whatever, because it's about THEM and not OTHER people.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by norsefire

meats meat as long as its not human cause i think you start to get some type of sickness from it but yea meats meat big deal brings new meaning to being so hungry you could eat a horse har har har i kno i kid i kid

but idk what would be directing attention from you know i hear that all over this site but i dont understand the conept of it havent seen an example yet either you know lol its either there or it aint but thats just me

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I can only assume one thing...

You've been in hibernation!

As I've said in all the horsey threads, stop buying packaged garbage anything could be in it.. ANYTHING!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Happened in Germany a few days ago as well. Made headlines even.

www.bild.de...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Again you are missing the part that these products can contain medicines that are harmful to human health in many ways.
And why should not people being upset about being scammed like this?? I have nothing against horse meat as long as it is labeled correctly and in the ingredients list.
If i buy a hamburger or lasanga that contains beef then i expect to get that.
And if they cheat when it comes to meat what else do you think they cheat with?? Who knows what other stuff they put into their products to save a few bucks??

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Here in Norway most people arent even against eating horse meat so that does not have anything to do with it.
The problem here is that it is labeled as beef and instead you get horse meat of uknown origin that might contain chemicals that are both carcinogens and harmful in other ways.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

So you say. But that horse meat has been allowed into our food unchecked for so long, who's to say that there isn't rat poison and other garbage being sneaked in there too?

It's bigger than horse. you completely miss the point. People are entitled to know what they're eating, and they're entitled to know whether it's fit for human consumption

you would need to be psychopathic or unintelligent on a different level to think it's acceptable for this to be happening.

I don't know why so many idiots are trying to turn this into an argument about "but there's nothing wrong with horse meat".

It doesn't matter! There's nothing wrong with snails either, but when I buy a packet of prawns I don't want garden snails courtesy of the eastern european mafia mixed in with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join