It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Size comparison of things in the universe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I found these two videos, on youtube,

It is amazing how big the size difference between stars, and size difference of galaxy's too.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

This one is an interactive one that gives some other good comparisons. Been around for a while but it does put things in perspective from the smallest to the largest of all known objects..

Scale of the Universe 2

Edit: Use your mouse wheel (if you have one) to scroll in and out. Otherwise use the slider bar on the bottom of the graphic.

edit on 15-2-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Pretty crazy how inconceivably giant the universe is, yet at the same time it is so ridiculously complex even on the smallest of scales.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wait, you mean objects out in space? Oh okay whew! I was going to say...I'm not giving ATS my measurements!

On topic: It's amazing just how incredibly massive the universe is. Now, imagine if you were a cell in your body. Imagine how large the body would seem to you then?

Its amazing to put things into perspective every now and then. It does make me feel small sometimes though.
edit on 15-2-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
When I was a kid, around eight years old, my dad bought me a piece of software for our computer. It was an astronomy thing for kids, because he knew how much I loved constellations.

It had all of the constellations, explanations about what the characters used in them are, pictures and information about planets in our solar system, and many nebula.

I used to be scared to death to look at nebula, and would avoid them like the plague. I don't know, maybe they were just too vast and dark for me to look at when I was a kid.

But, I kinda teared up a while back when I looked at one of those interactive scales of the universe. Because I realized I had nothing to be afraid of, that though they were far away, and big, and we as people are so tiny and seemingly insignificant, we're really not. They're really quite beautiful, and we're not insignificant. We're lucky to be here, to be a part of this beautiful cosmos, to BE this cosmos.

It's a remarkable thing.

top topics

join