It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Rage against the Chilli Peppers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
You're probably wondering wth this has to do with relationships. My son was over last night(he'll be 23 in 6 weeks). And we all got to talking about music. About 10 years ago Zack was getting into pop and crappy hip hop. I thought to myself, "Well I can turn him on to good hip hop or, hopefully, metal." Nope. Wouldn't have metal at all. So I changed tactics. I turned him on to:

Rage Against the Machine:

And the Red Hot Chilli Pepper:

BINGO!!!! He ate that up.

A few years later his favorite band was Billy Talent:

Progress. So getting back to last night we were discussing Canada's best new bands. I thought Zack would say BT and he did BUT it's not his favorite bad anymore. That would now be Disturbed:

Mission accomplished.

Zack and I have a pretty good relationship. Bonus. Dad and I didn't get along at all. He and I read the same books, listen to the same tunes, enjoy the same movies. It's good. I'm sure some might have an issue with my manipulating his musical tastes but it has made for a decent relationship and quite frankly, he's better off with metal.

edit on 15-2-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Your close, now turn him on to the dark side. Occult Rock is waiting.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Congrats with taking part in your sons life. You are doing everything you are supposed to. Helping your son in a pisitive way is honorable.

My father turned me from Dr.Dre to the Beatles. So this all sounds familiar.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ManOfHart because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Way to go Intrepid.
My daughter's into pop, I'm sorry pop fans, but I can't stand that drivel. My son loves AC/DC, Black Sabbath, The Doors so I'm pretty happy with that. And he's 9 so probably gonna take up after me. I've been listening to the Doors since I was 10. I'm gonna try your tactic for my daughter.
Do the ol switcharoo on her.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Great job on getting him to the metal, albeit roundabout. My oldest is 23 and now introduces me to metal bands I've never heard of, from other countries.

Gotta love them!!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

my 6 year old has expressed interest in pop, im sad, but my 3 year old when we walk down the street listening to pandora requests CCR bad moon rising, so i guess 1 out of 2 aint bad. im not saying all pop is bad but about 99 percent is; so i may have start using the dad influence on her before its too late and she becomes just as stubborn as i was when i was a kid.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
my dad tried to get me to listen to manhiem steamroller.

new topics

top topics

join