It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWW SNAP!!! Food stamps and minimum wage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
So, below is post I made in another thread. As you can see I killed another one
thread

I was really hoping someone would tell me I’m wrong, tell me my numbers are messed up...anything. Anyway here it is, tell me if you think this is crazy.

Did you know a single man, working forty hours per week at minimum wage, falls short of the income limit by $330 that qualifies him for food stamps in PA? ($40 short and STILL qualifying during the five pay months?)

What’s up with that? I think that’s the problem. Maybe the answer is a higher minimum wage?

SNAP

Working people are receiving food assistance, not only lazy bums. I'm pretty sure i read a few times that the majority of people benefiting from that program are working.

If you raised minimum wage by 2 dollars, he would still be under the income limit by 10 dollars !!

Maybe big companies can afford to pay their employees a higher wage? If they did, maybe the government could chalk over a couple bucks an hour for the small business minimum wage earners? Might not cost as much. Then... ONLY the jobless people would be eligible for government food assistance, right? Then we could call all the food stamp recipients lazy bums YAY!!!

Seriously, just thinking out loud and I have no idea about financial crap and how the money flows...
edit on 15-2-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Raising the minimum wage will not help it just makes it more expensive for businesses to hire people so they will hire less and lay off some they cannot afford who are working now.

Watch the video in this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 15-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

The elites -both dems and repubs - have been pocketing as much money as they can because they know the dollar is going to crash and they're going to run away and hide, while there is no food - not even if you have money. You can wipe your a@# with the food stamps.

Did you really believe any of the crap that obozo was spewing in his address?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Okay, I sure will, thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
How does one wind up with a minimum pay job? What does an average carpenter’s wage pay in the US? I’d guess 98% of the companies can easily afford a $2 an hour raise for their workers. But they probably use it as an excuse to sack people to save money on the sacked employee’s wage and place the bigger workload on their remaining employees. Banks in Australia make between $4-6b+ profits each year, with record profits each quarter, yet still cry poor and sack literally thousands of employees.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Raising the minimum wage would not work as it would just drive the cost of goods up landing right back at square one. I do think people should be paid more but not be made to pay more than the government. I do think its funny when people claim they want less government control but also ask for more.
Companies should individually do it on their own, there is no reason for Corporations to be laying people off and still paying huge bonuses to the people on the top.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Rather than raise min wage,I say companies of a certain size that pay employees min wage should be taxed for the extra burden on the system. When a company manages to make outlandish profits, but can't afford to pay enough for employees to eat all the time that's not right. Big companies can afford to pay a living wage and still rake it in profit, the little guys cannot. Even the companies that can afford it would scale back on how many they hire.
I know people who work at Walmart on Government assistance. They work hard too, just because it's considered a min wage job doesn't mean it isn't physically demanding. I think Walmart (and any like business) should either pay them enough to afford to eat, or pay into the system that does. Raising min wage would mean the big guys just lay off undeserving people, and the little guy is just totally screwed.
edit on 15-2-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Thanks for your 2 cents PutAQuarterIn, your post made a lot of cents

Seriously, that's exactly what I'm saying

They all need to pay a higher minimum.

I didn't consider the higher tax, but i guess that could work just the same.

reply to post by BlindBastards

Banks in Australia make between $4-6b+ profits each year, with record profits each quarter, yet still cry poor and sack literally thousands of employees.

Yuck
While people starve to death, wtf is wrong with people?
edit on 15-2-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
Raising the minimum wage would not work as it would just drive the cost of goods up landing right back at square one. I do think people should be paid more but not be made to pay more than the government. I do think its funny when people claim they want less government control but also ask for more.
Companies should individually do it on their own, there is no reason for Corporations to be laying people off and still paying huge bonuses to the people on the top.

Wrong. That's the right wing simplistic view of the economy. The situation is far more complex but the overall conclusion is thath a minimum wage does NOT adversely impact the economy and instead stimulates better paid work which results in increasing demand and thus economic growth, for example:

us study:

raisetheminimumwage.org...

uk study:

www.lowpay.gov.uk...
www.smf.co.uk...

global:

www.ilo.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
I do think people should be paid more but not be made to pay more than the government. I do think its funny when people claim they want less government control but also ask for more.

Except they won't, which is why they have to be forced to by means such as raising the minimum wage.

top topics

join