It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 90
<< 87  88  89    91  92  93 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 9186830614

They explode all the time!
Start your adventure in 1908!

But it is actually quite common to have a number of these every year, mostly in the middle of nowhere and over oceans, so most get missed. However many have been captured exploding, check out youtube "bolide" for instance.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 9186830614
I'm no expert, but I do know that meteors do not explode. They can burn up with a lot of crackling if your close enough to hear, or they can crash. They do not explode, so this was not a meteor.

They most certainly DO explode.

They are a chuck of rock/metal that is traveling at incredible velocity and have a LOT of energy simply from that.

When they impact with our atmosphere, friction from that heats it up, basically vaporizing the rock/metal, and it does this in a explosive form.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 9186830614

The original 1908 Tunguska air blast was attributed to secret experiments done by Tesla at his Wardenclyffe Tower in Long Island New York. Tesla was apparently trying to heat the ionosphere to increase reflectivity for his trans continental "world wireless" technologies.

www.teslasociety.com...

UFO speculations claimed the experiments were intended to create a nuclear bomb and had caused the air burst in Russia.

Nothing new here?

Don't forget to follow the rabbit down the hole to HG Wells "war of the worlds" the Hindenburg disaster and WW2.

Tesla overheard secret messages from aliens on other planets. Turned out to be a phenomena of "negative resistance" in his radio sets that he never patented. He must have been bipolar.

edit on 16-2-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I thought they were from Planet Cheeba..

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
You are mostly unlettered jerks, but you are #ing the whole world with your money. That.
edit on 2/16/2013 by dragnik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
There are some large asteroids, a lot of small asteroids and literally millions of small objects like the one that hit Russia. This video caught an object over the Grand Titons in 1972 that skipped in and back out of the atmosphere into space. Its size was estimated to be between car and house sized. fortunately in this case there was no explosion or shockwave that caused any damage. these things happen, albeit infrequently and since the planet is 75 percent ocean, most times it happens far out to sea with no witnesses. The problem is now there are SO many people on Earth that the chances of something happening, be it an earthquake, storm or meteor impact over a populated area increases every year.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatedobserver
reply to post by Human_Alien

Craters on the moon. I've asked the same. If the moon has no atmosphere or a small one, then the asteroid would still be in the crater. But it's not. No where to be found. Nothing to slow the asteroid. It makes me wonder.....

the craters are thought by creative design adherents to be remnant a great flood. ever drop drops of water or see light rains on fine dirt? they leave irregular craters. makes the area look like the moon.

It's cheese Gromit, cheese! I'm just crackers about Cheese!

edit on 16-2-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tropic
A 10+ Ton Meteor landed in the lake?

What about the possibly 2 other reported impact sites??

looks more like a large ice fishing hole

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
we had a small piece of meteor hit a tin roof on a building in the philippines this piece was very small yet it ripped through the roof with such a bang everyone was shocked. luckily it was off to the side and no one was hurt. the shape of the hole. slightly round at the center of the impact but ripped the metal a bit to form a tear about 3 inches long. I doubt it was a falling bullet. the Philippines is one location on the planet that gets lots of little meteorite strikes.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
hey, was the ground track the same of the two objects that passed us by?......meaning they were traveling in unison?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
news.softpedia.c... om/news/Russian-Meteorite-Was-US-Weapon-Test-Liberal-Leader-Vladimir-Zhirinovsky-Says-329933.shtml

In all fairness, some say that the meteor fall was actually an UFO crash, so at least from this standpoint, Vladimir Zhirinovsky's conspiracy theory makes a tad more sense.

I thought it was nice to read about aliens landing on earth.. from all the alien related events that you read about online i still have faith that they are out ther watching over us

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Quibbler

Talk about a lucky shot,what are the chances of video taping this event just at the right time.
anyways just wanted to comment that I heard this event and the flyby where coming from oppisite directions at least thats what the msm was reporting.
To me though loked more like a missile.

Now that I see how long this thread is,I'm sure what I said was already mentioned,sorry...
edit on 16-2-2013 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I wonder if the oil wells and pipes were damaged!? Russia is the largest oil exporter in the world. Guess the oil price Monday will tell.

Seriously, that would be scary.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Again, more PRESUMPTIONS.

I am educated, not stupid. I question things. Get over it.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Revised data valid as of 1900 PST Local Time via NASA JPL

Update: February 15, 2013 7pm PST

New information provided by a worldwide network of sensors has allowed scientists to refine their estimates for the size of the object that entered that atmosphere and disintegrated in the skies over Chelyabinsk, Russia, at 7:20:26 p.m. PST, or 10:20:26 p.m. EST on Feb. 14 (3:20:26 UTC on Feb. 15).

The estimated size of the object, prior to entering Earth's atmosphere, has been revised upward from 49 feet (15 meters) to 55 feet (17 meters), and its estimated mass has increased from 7,000 to 10,000 tons. Also, the estimate for energy released during the event has increased by 30 kilotons to nearly 500 kilotons of energy released. These new estimates were generated using new data that had been collected by five additional infrasound stations located around the world – the first recording of the event being in Alaska, over 6,500 kilometers away from Chelyabinsk. The infrasound data indicates that the event, from atmospheric entry to the meteor's airborne disintegration took 32.5 seconds. The calculations using the infrasound data were performed by Peter Brown at the University of Western Ontario, Canada.

"We would expect an event of this magnitude to occur once every 100 years on average," said Paul Chodas of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "When you have a fireball of this size we would expect a large number of meteorites to reach the surface and in this case there were probably some large ones."

The trajectory of the Russia meteor was significantly different than the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, which hours later made its flyby of Earth, making it a completely unrelated object. The Russia meteor is the largest reported since 1908, when a meteor hit Tunguska, Siberia.

----
Previous Data

Preliminary information indicates that a meteor in Chelyabinsk, Russia, is not related to asteroid 2012 DA14, which is flying by Earth safely today.

The Russia meteor is the largest reported since 1908, when a meteor hit Tunguska, Siberia. The meteor entered the atmosphere at about 40,000 mph (18 kilometers per second). The impact time was 7:20:26 p.m. PST, or 10:20:26 p.m. EST on Feb. 14 (3:20:26 UTC on Feb. 15), and the energy released by the impact was in the hundreds of kilotons.

Based on the duration of the event, it was a very shallow entry. It was larger than the meteor over Indonesia on Oct. 8, 2009. Measurements are still coming in, and a more precise measure of the energy may be available later. The size of the object before hitting the atmosphere was about 49 feet (15 meters) and had a mass of about 7,000 tons.

The meteor, which was about one-third the diameter of asteroid 2012 DA14, was brighter than the sun. Its trail was visible for about 30 seconds, so it was a grazing impact through the atmosphere.

It is important to note that this estimate is preliminary, and may be revised as more data is obtained.

www.nasa.gov...

DC Agle 818-393-9011
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
[email protected]

2013-061

LINK containing latest upward revision: www.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northisland
I wonder if the oil wells and pipes were damaged!? Russia is the largest oil exporter in the world. Guess the oil price Monday will tell.

Seriously, that would be scary.

An excellent question, and expand it to include a nearby nuclear weapons depot. Press reports are now coming out that the energy facilities appear undamaged, but there was some comm trouble [perhaps unrelated] with the weapons depot.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by gemdog

Should I be comforted thinking we have a system in place, or pissed I'm being lied to, or uncomfortable knowing they don't know at which point upon entry to blow it up safely?

Theres no need to be mad or afraid. Its over. The once every hundred year rock has come. As far as we know, nobody died.

About shooting it down? Nothing but nothing comes into the atmosphere as fast as objects from space. Since science hadn't foreseen this one nobody had time to point let alone shoot any kind of interceptor at it. If they had it would have been tracked as a launch (or multiple launches) from somewhere. Which it wasn't.

"Russian space agency Roskosmos said:
“According to preliminary estimates, this space
object is of non-technogenic origin and qualifies
as a meteorite. It was moving at a low trajectory
with a speed of about 30 km/s.”
RT reported that according to unconfirmed
reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air
defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near
Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the
meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20
kilometers."

30 km/s, damn that's fast! When I first read it, I was thinking 30 km/hour. (duh on me)
Good ol' "unconfirmed reports" though, says they intercepted and blew it up from below. "Unconfirmed" reports could easily be BS, then again, lots of "confirmed" reports are often BS.
Guess we'll find out sooner or later (or maybe not).
I agree that it's all exciting and amazing, nonetheless. I feel lucky to be alive and aware during such an interesting time. I remember a standup comedian doing a funny bit about dying in the apocalypse vs. choking on a ham sandwich. It was something like, if the apocalypse happened now, we may die younger than we'd hoped, but at least in Heaven we could brag "You choked on a sandwich and died? Yeah, I went out in the MUTHAFU**IN' APOCALYPSE, BITCHES!! It was awesome!"

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
For those that cannot see the merit of questioning things if they don't look right or don't fit general science, or suspect media of fakery, governments of lies etc, don't bother going on conspiracy sites. If you are here just for bullying then go be bullied right back but 10 times more.

Let me step in to defend the time for questioning and ask people to hold off on authoritative judgments [me included], since so much of what we 'know' about this event remains rumor, supposition, and previous false-knowledge [like: "meteors DON'T explode" -- tee hee].

Questions, even the weirdest, help us bound the range of our ignorance and motivate us to seek information that's bouncing around out there but could soon evaporate.

So QUESTION.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It's up to "500 kilotons" now.

Originally posted by DangerDeath

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by DangerDeath

More like 300 kilotons according to preliminary analysis from NASA

No wonder they mobilized 20.000 people. This could have been a real H-bomb, how could have they known so fast what it was?

top topics

<< 87  88  89    91  92  93 >>

join