It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by piotrburz

thank you, exactly what i've been saying. at least two rare astrological events within 24 hours. and notice how long the media has been "advertising" the 2012 DA14 event, and had constant "breaking news" about it passing and watching it as a little dot online, all while they were still counting bodies. why all the effort?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutsideTheBox1006
reply to post by Mianeye

and you don't think its odd that the shockwave damaged a factory so much more than the surrounding buildings, especially considering the area is known for industrial sites for bio/chem weapons disposal?

www.manufacturing.net...
No! I see an old building with a weakened structure overloaded with snow, nothing unusual.

Same as an earthquake, one building survive's without a scratch, nextdoor building demolished completly.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Oh I don't know if this has been posted before.

Maybe it can help in this thread.

A meteorite is a meteoroid (a solid piece of debris from such sources as asteroids or comets) originating in outer space that survives impact with the Earth's surface. A meteorite's size can range from small to extremely large. Most meteorites derive from small astronomical objects called meteoroids, but they are also sometimes produced by impacts of asteroids. When a meteoroid enters the atmosphere, frictional, pressure, and chemical interactions with the atmospheric gasses cause the body to heat up and emit light, thus forming a fireball, also known as a meteor or shooting/falling star. The term bolide refers to either an extraterrestrial body that collides with the Earth, or to an exceptionally bright, fireball-like meteor regardless of whether it ultimately impacts the surface.

en.wikipedia.org...

Asteroids are small Solar System bodies that are not comets. The term asteroids historically referred to objects inside the orbit of Jupiter. They have also been called planetoids, especially the larger ones. These terms have historically been applied to any astronomical object orbiting the Sun that did not show the disk of a planet and was not observed to have the characteristics of an active comet, but as small objects in the outer Solar System were discovered, their volatile-based surfaces were found to more closely resemble comets, and so were often distinguished from traditional asteroids.[1] Thus the term asteroid has come increasingly to refer specifically to the small bodies of the inner Solar System within the orbit of Jupiter, which are usually rocky or metallic. They are grouped with the outer bodies—centaurs, Neptune trojans, and trans-Neptunian objects—as minor planets, which is the term preferred in astronomical circles.[2] This article uses the term "asteroid" to the minor planets of the inner Solar System.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zoomer72

There is going to be a difference in the sonic boom intensity between a giant rock and aerodynamic jet breaking the sound barrier.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Yes i know, during the 80:s they broke the sound barrier many times, over populated and unpopulated areas until it was forbidden... Not once it took down windows (trembled them yes) or made certain parts of building roof to collapse

That's a pretty big claim...not once...

This event would also be a much bigger boom.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Yes i know, during the 80:s they broke the sound barrier many times, over populated and unpopulated areas until it was forbidden... Not once it took down windows (trembled them yes) or made certain parts of building roof to collapse

That's a pretty big claim...not once...

This event would also be a much bigger boom.

A series of booms, actually, and some waves adding to their strength.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OutsideTheBox1006

We knew 2012 D14 was coming and have known so for a year. It did it's thing (nothing) exactly on schedule.

We don't usually know anything about fireballs like the one in Russia and Cuba, but they happen. Statistically, meteors like the one in Russia would hit Earth about once a decade. The one in Cuba probably a number of times a year.

Sometimes you roll the dice and come up lucky. Sometimes someone gets a royal flush. But never me.

edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The building just collapsed by the heavy load of snow? just the same moment as the blast? come on Phage... even you know thats a slim chance, you think for example that zinc factory just happened to collapse by snow?

No, that's not what I think.

The building may have been carrying a heavy load of snow and when the shock wave it, it was sort of a "last straw" effect. Or maybe it was just shoddy construction.

Then it would of taken the whole roof down... not just the part in the middle....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix. Once in a while I look at the The Phuket News website ("Your Island, Your Paper") from far away in wintery Canada.

This is how they reported the meteor on the homepage:

www.thephuketnews.com...

Would've made nice beach reading.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Then it would of taken the whole roof down... not just the part in the middle....

Are you a structural engineer?
Can you explain how you come to that conclusion in bit more detail? Why do you conclude there would be no weak points anywhere in the roof structure which could lead to a localized failure? Do you think a localized failure would necessarily propagate through the entire structure?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by Creep Thumper

Sure didn't you see the video's? The trails could be plainly seen ,meaning the object had already passed.The sonic boom came afterward's.I.E the meteor was traveling faster than the speed of sound.

light travels faster than sound. the actual event happened pretty fast flash with smoke, and then just smoke. depending on how far away your were as to how long it took before you heard the report.

Just like when you see lightening and then count till you hear the thunder.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You didn't get the point

The meteor in Russia broke the sound barrier bigtime, the resulting shockwave hit the weak spot of that factory, and the roof collapsed.

The same thing with a jet fighter, they can cause building damage from breaking the sound barrier, and a fighters boom isn't a fraction of the boom from Russia.

That was a big badaboom...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Windows break after sonic boom from air show

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 11:33 PM

TUCSON - Property all over town was damaged after a sonic boom.

At least 4 windows in a Speedway Boulevard strip mall were blown out.
A jet broke the sound barrier around 2:30 p.m., according to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base officials.

www.kvoa.com...

Not the 80s but still a sonic boom breaking windows.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
FPS Russia.

They really out did themselves with this one.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You don't need to break the sound barrier to break glass.
Imagine someone breaking a crystal glass with a high tone note.

Also, imagine this in a bigger scale:

www.youtube.com...

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
could it be Iran's spaceship with the monkey coming back to earth?

Or North Korea's satellite they put into orbit?

Maybe one of those lost US secret supersonic aircraft they claimed went into the sea that no one could find?

Maybe Russia was trying a new weapon.

And lastly did they ever really prove it was a meteorite?

I watched all the videos and all I could see was a sudden flash of light, smoke a big kaboom and supposed hole in the ice.

We may never know really what it was. but for sure it was an Unidentified Flying Object

edit on 15-2-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

1969: Sonic boom smashes Kelowna's windows

It's a clear August day in Kelowna, B.C. The International Regatta is on, and people are getting ready for the parade. Overhead, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels aerobatic team perform a graceful diamond vertical manoeuvre. And then... BOOM!

With a deafening crash, hundreds of windows suddenly shatter, spraying glass throughout an eight-block section of downtown Kelowna.

www.cbc.ca...

One more...that should cover it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by piotrburz
I dont know if anyone has mentioned about it, but its weird that this asteroid had caused such damage.

I tried some calculations using this site:
impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...
And i tried various scenarios with different values that i gathered across the media news.
Diameter of russian asteroid was estimated to be around 3 to 15 m[at most!!!]
Velocity was estimated to be around 12,7[nasa data] to 30km/s[roskosmos data]
Density was unknown, but i tried calculations for 3000kg/m3 and 8000kg/m3[iron/nickel asteroid]
Impact angle tried from 25 to 60.
And distance from impact at 1m.

Even with a worst case scenario -15m diameter, 30km/s velocity, 8000kg/m3 density,60 degree impact angle, and distance from impact at 1m[standing on the ground perpendicular to airburst] only glass windows will shatter, but you can check from news that few building were destroyed by blast, so i guess it wasnt such weak.
And that's with the worst case scenario where asteroid is going 30km/s[usually its around 12-16km/s], impact angle is very steep[usually 45 degree], density is rarely such high.

Could it be that a true DA14 airbursted and only a very few remainings hit the ground?

No. As I explained a few posts back, the ground damage reported might not have occured had the impact angle been higher (it was around 18 deg.), which makes it more likely that an object would survive for longer, and cause an air burst closer to the ground. Try inputing 18 deg. instead, and don't forget the size estimates might still be out by a bit.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Are you a structural engineer?
Can you explain how you come to that conclusion in bit more detail? Why do you conclude there would be no weak points anywhere in the roof structure which could lead to a localized failure?

No Phage im no engineer, but can you explain me why too much load would bring down one piece of the roof ?(especially the in the middle of it without taking the rest of the roof with it? if it was strain the whole roof would of come down) but that damage looks like something made a hole in the middle of the roof , no strain can do that...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The bickering is really nonsensical, because everything in this universe relates to everything else.

I don't know about any of you, but when I get outside of the cities light pollution, I'm more apt to watch the skies. Everything is much more visible. Virtually every time I've ever went star-gazing - I could spot shooting stars and debris falling from the sky. These events are natural.

It's not everyday that a few are reported upon in such small time periods, but lets correctly look at these realistically here. Space is not a stagnant empty space. It is filled with matter. Energy. We've no clear way of understanding what can affect what in the vast sea of space.

When a medium sized asteroid is passing close to earth like this one -

I can easily envision the effect such a body might have when passing so close to earth! I'm sure that most of you have played a game of billiards right? A slop shot can have unexpected results when an unrelated objects trajectory shoots out and collides with another unrelated object. The different chain reaction of events is astronomical, and it makes predicting these sorts of events impossible.

Just sit back and enjoy life. I'm quite thankful, personally, that this event seems to have had minimal impact on earth. Earth's history shows, it's not always so.

Peace,
Cirque

For all the prophecy buffs like myself. Here should give you a chill.

Prophecies of Mother Shipton

edit on 15-2-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join