It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
who say's sticks and STONES wont break my bones......utter Bollocks

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xquietonex
Hmmm.

Anyone got an update on the US AFB alerts?

Alls quite on the western front. ( well western for Russia anyway) I am outside the Langley AFB gate and no unusual activity here all day. Just the usual jets in and jets out. On 9/11 it was busy busy all day. Normal activity today though.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

I guess for me it's easy to see considering how many times I've seen it in real life in the Navy:

You dont even need that sort of experience to understand it.

As a kid on the way to the Bus stop at the bottom of our street there was a spot about 50 meters straight down the hill to where the Bus stop was by the road with clear line of sight, if you stood their and yelled, and a friend down at the bus stop yelled back you could watch their mouths open and a 3rd of a second latter the sound would hit you like a badly dubbed movie

So even across a small distances like that with nothing but your voice you can notice the speed of sound.

Always amazed me as a kid, I think the big problem with this meteor is for quite a few people, is that it does look a hell of ALOT closer than you realize, which just goes to show how huge those smoke trails in the vid really are.

If thats the tail (and shock wave) from a relatively small piece of rock... imagine the terrifying sight and sound of one a whole lot bigger like the one that flew by this morning.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

who say's sticks and STONES wont break my bones

I think you have the phrase wrong.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The source of the idea that these two celestial bodies MUST be related is human self importance. And then it becomes part of religious referent system, and it turns out that it must be GOD willing to punish us or warn us about something. And, what would that be? Ultimately, it is a tool of enslavement and pacifying people who ask too many questions
Because, the only ones who are panicking in such situations are the - governments

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Huh?
What governments are panicking?

link   

Originally posted by Bigfoot12714
reply to post by Destinyone

I get there are injuries. I've heard about there being meteorite sightings shortly before outbreaks of the plague or what have you. Along with the fact scientists have found bacteria in meteorites before. Just sayin' its something to maybe keep an eye out for.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Bigfoot12714 because: (no reason given)

Back then everything was an omen. The plague was spread by fleas on rats. This is the 21st century isnt it ?

link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by blupblup

There is more than one "falling rock" incident across the globe at the moment... I think people are getting them mixed up?

Not "people", you

The asteroid is gone already.

Well it was a Meteor "shower" so there wasn't just one... and at least one definitely crashed.

The local office of the National Emergencies Ministry said in a statement: "A meteorite disintegrated above the Urals (mountain range in central Russia), partially burning up in the lower atmosphere.

"Fragments of the meteorite reached Earth, falling in sparsely populated areas in the Chelyabinsk region."

There's also lots of info here

rt.com...

Apparently over 1200 people injured..

Lets not make this more confusing than it has to be.

A meteor shower occurs when Earth passes through the dusty debris tail of a comet. A single object that breaks up in Earth's atmnosphere does not qualify as a meteor shower, although there may well be meteor showers active at the same time. As has been pointed out, Earth is constantly pelted by meteoroids of varying sizes, and from all directions.

There are multiple fireball class meteors from various sources every day around the world, most of which go totally unnoticed mainly because most of our Earth's surface is either unpopulated or very sparcely populated.

Some of those will drop meteorites on the ground, so it's not unlikely that an event like the one we are discussing here would occur at around the same time as other fireballs.

As for the claims that there were craters formed by some of these other events, I've heard simmilar claims before which have turned out to be untrue, so I'm going to err on the side of caution till we have confirmation from reputable sources.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Apparently dash cams are common there because of corrupt police, how many people do you know with a dash cams, I don't know anybody, and there are no cameras in my backyard, this was broad daylight, they must have cameras everywhere.

Here's a BBC report on the Russian dash-cam phenomenon:

Russian Meteor Highlights Russia's Dashboard Cam Phenomenon
Feature – Caversham BBC Monitoring, Feb 15, 2013
Footage of the central Russian meteor on 15 February, and the air crash at Moscow's Vnukovo Airport in December 2012 highlights the growing use of dashboard cameras in Russia.
Fitted in vehicles mainly for insurance purposes, the cameras store pictures on a hard drive in case of incident, and have provided a rich vein of material on social media and video sharing websites.
The phenomenon achieved viral status with "Driving in Russia" [ 1], a 13 minute compilation video of crashes and unusual sights uploaded to the internet in early December 2012. Dash cam videos have become an addition to the popular "FAIL" genre.
On 29 December, the crash-landing of a Tupolev-204 aircraft was recorded on the dashboard camera of a car on a nearby motorway [ 2]. Wreckage could be seen flying over the perimeter fence, and striking a car in front, and footage of the incident was widely used in news media.
Much of the footage posted to social media of the Urals meteor came from dashboard cameras, usually accompanied by exclamations and expletives from surprised drivers. Other footage was obtained by camera phones and fixed CCTV cameras.
Despite their growing cult status on YouTube and other video websites, dashboard cameras have a serious purpose, being installed by Russian drivers in increasing numbers to fight the growing industry of insurance fraud. Business Insider's Alex Davies notes that many courts no longer accept verbal evidence in the case of traffic disputes, so video evidence is essential to succeed in a claim.
According to Radio Liberty, drivers are using the cameras to fight back against Russia's notoriously corrupt traffic police, and scammers trying to extort money out of drivers. Criminal gangs can make up to $1,000 a day by staging accidents and forcing drivers into a quick settlement, Radio Liberty said [ 3]. Footage available on YouTube shows criminals loitering at road junctions, before hurling themselves at slow-moving vehicles, then confronting drivers and demanding compensation.
Dashboard cameras are not just restricted to Russia. Cameras are now appearing on roads in other countries, with some vehicle hire companies in the United Kingdom offering them as standard equipment, and hauliers to ensure the safety of their drivers.
* 1* www.youtube.com...
* 2* www.bbc.co.uk...
* 3* www.rferl.org... crashes/24780355.html

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm now wondering when our world leaders (and former leaders), along with those of big industry will be heading for the underground survival shelters, if they haven't already started. It really angers me to think that those who are messing up our world are the very ones who will survive any natural disasters, as well as disasters they have created. By this I mean all the pandemics they will cause by releasing lab produced diseases.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
Haha, In NZ 10:13PM - Deep Impact is on.

Yesterday one of the History channels aired something about deadly comets and mega disasters. Uncanny timing but nothing more.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
SIAP , but anyone think there is something attracting objects to that lake? Sort of like the Zone of Silence in Mexico. Magnetic anomalies and such.
Zone of Silence

I'm bringing this up because I thought someone said that the lake has been hit before.

More Zone of Silence

link   

Originally posted by Phage

Huh?
What governments are panicking?

When governments say they won't announce the truth, the usual excuse is: To prevent panic!

link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

Why would they head for the bunkers now?
The asteroid has passed.

link   

Originally posted by Piper96
Apparently Hanford nuclear facility is leaking... That was the governor's announcement. It wasn't anything about the asteroid. Still a little frightening though...

Thanks for the update

Although that sounds pretty ominous in itself-- it couldn't be THAT dangerous seeing they didn't just interrupt and make a statewide announcement---rather it was a scheduled announcement.
But it could be though...we're just getting immune to perilous situations.

What did they suggest doing if anything? Yeah...that's what I thought

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
who say's sticks and STONES wont break my bones......utter Bollocks

No one says that -_-

Its sticks and stones MAY break my bones but words will never hurt me
edit on 15-2-2013 by MrSuave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tru3NugMaster
On an obvious side I have to say this could be debri from the asteroid that's passing..

On a scary prophetic side it could be connect to the temple of Artemis and in the long run is involved somehow with the popes replacement....

Sorry had to add two sides of a story
couldn't help it.

I dont think that asteroids send out calling cards and I really doubt that if it had any debris. ( thats a comet that has debris and a tail, not an asteroid) that the debris could get ahead of the actual thing. They said this is unrelated and that makes complete sense so I am going with unrelated.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

When governments say they won't announce the truth

You know what? I've never actually heard my government say that.
If they want to hide something they won't say anything or they'll lie. Never "we won't tell you the truth!"
edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Thanks, I couldn't find any offers on scrap meteorites anyway. Somebody is playing their cards tight. If the object was as big as some are suggesting there should be a few. Oh to be there with metal detector in hand...

CHA- CHING!

On another note. I am observing the plume about where the initial break up occurred. Some of the shots people took reveal this enormous mushroom cloud that builds up and up. Wonder what the scale of that was? The later the pic was taken the higher the cloud builds into the stratosphere...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
'impact more powerful than the North Korean nuclear test...'

So all these years, the governments of the world in their vast wisdom have spent trillions of dollars on incredibly sophisticated, horribly toxic nuclear weapons when they could have just been throwing rocks at each other???

Actually governmnents have been doing research into kinetic energy weapons for quite some time, but they are expensive (and not to mention illegal under international law), and it's easier to cut corners and use dirty nukes instead.

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join