It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 70
<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

A further heads up

I don't know whats up with some of you today, but stop behaving like kids please?

Next snide comment or off topic remark gets a posting ban. You've had two warnings. No more.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Thanks for posting.

I will need to come back and read member's comment!
edit on 15-2-2013 by SOLIDSNAKE101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckshot44
Wow, amazing activity in this thread. I'm just posting to say I'm glad that thing didn't hit around my neck of the woods. Scary #!

You wouldn't be saying that if you were the local Glazier...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing videos and pics.

Thankfully motorists in Russia are insane, so about 15% of the drivers have cameras rolling whenever they drive to use as evidence if some nutcase hits them headon doing 80 in a school zone.

1,200 injuries reported so far + 10 ton estimated size = very big deal.

Eagerly awaiting more videos.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Dash cams are common in Russia because of motor insurance claims - nothing unusual really - if you google car crash video you will probably see just how common they are over there.

Kind of great really in this kind of event so we get so many different views and angles.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

I wonder if they have insurance?

In any case, it's winter - going to be a very cold night if you have no windows. Though my impression is that that is the reason for a lot of the 'emergency response'

Overlooked point: No windows + winter = Brrrrrrrr.

Why wouldn't you think they're required to have insurance? I really don't know so I'm not looking for an argument

I'm curious.....did all these videos take place within moments? Or were they minutes apart? Do you know?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm sure the below video was posted somewhere in the 70 pages of the thread, unforunately, I don't have time to check each one
so please forgive me if this was already posted, but the below clip is truly awesome.. When the explosion happens you can almost feel like you were there to experience this...

You literally need like 12 hours to go through this whole thread.... lol.... and its still growing SOOO fast
edit on 15-2-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Dash cams are common in Russia because of motor insurance claims - nothing unusual really - if you google car crash video you will probably see just how common they are over there.

Kind of great really in this kind of event so we get so many different views and angles.

This is what my tired eyes read:

Dash cams are common in Russia because of meteor insurance claims - nothing unusual really - if you google car crash video you will probably see just how common they are over there.

still awesome..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here's a weird coincidence... It's probably nothing, seeing as the asteroid has passed and all, but for some reason our governer here is making some kind of an announcement at 1:30 and won't say what it's regarding... Hmmmm

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
The other certainty is this is one of the most fantastic days in recent space history. We should all just marvel at what nature can throw your way.

I agree with that! We really are living the history in the making. When was the last time you witnessed (well, via tv/internet, most of us) such a shattering event?

And remember 2013 is supposed to be the "comet year". We might just change that to "meteor year" as well.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

Where are you? Generally speaking.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

Are you familiar with sarcasm?

edit on 15-2-2013 by chrome413 because: added the little laughing guy, cause, on further inspection, the original made me sound like an ass and i'm not trying to be.

link   

Originally posted by intrptr
So... is it conceivable that the damage caused by the Tunguska event was produced by the shockwave of the "breakup"?

Absolutely. The Tunguska object disintergated catastopicaly at altitude, and a large part of it's total energey would have been released at that point. The evidence for this is the way trees were felled below the epicenter of the blast - they fanned outwards in all directions pointing away from the epicenter, and a handfull of trees that were directly below the epicenter were left standing, but with all their limbs ripped off, as you would expect had a powerfull blast occured overhead.

But let's not forget that there is still speculation amongst researchers that a nearby lake may be the result of a large surviving fragmnent that carried on and left a crater in the ground which subsiquently filled up with water. So there may havbe been damage from a partial direct hit on the ground too.

link   

Originally posted by chrome413
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

Are you familiar with sarcasm?

In Russia, space launches into you.

2nd

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

WA state...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Has anyone heard anymore updates? I heard 900 injured due mainly to glass shrapnel, and roofs collapsing. But that was a bit ago and I keep seeing the same vid posts

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Just thought I'd add this short compilation video showing the events of the Russian meteorite today.
Hope this helps anyone that hasn't seen all the videos posted today.

link   
I find some of the reports of the damage interesting.

We have seen many videos in the thread where the blast arrives, we hear glass shattering, and car alarms going off. In many of the videos, the camera person pans around and we see windows smashed in, but not all. I also don't remember seeing any car windows being damaged.

Then of course there was the roof of the zinc factory. I've seen contradictory reports on that, some saying a fragment hit it, others saying it was a result of the shock wave. I could see a fragment doing that damage, but a shock wave?
Ouch! That means that roof was in pretty bad shape to begin with! Not too hard to believe considering that the brick and mortar I saw looked very old.

I also was amazed at how people reacted, especially those recording when the blasts hit. In many cases they are startled of course, but many kept on recording, panning around.

Very brave.....or foolish I guess depending on your view point.

In any case, I really appriciate our Russian friends who had the courage to record all this and share it with with us. It certainly will be talked about for years (even on here at ATS!
)
edit on 15-2-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
I'm sure the below video was posted somewhere in the 70 pages of the thread, unforunately, I don't have time to check each one
so please forgive me if this was already posted, but the below clip is truly awesome.. When the explosion happens you can almost feel like you were there to experience this...

You literally need like 12 hours to go through this whole thread.... lol.... and its still growing SOOO fast
edit on 15-2-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

I don't quite understand this. Did that meteor (light) cause the exploding windows (sound)? I know light travels faster than sound but does light travel faster than energy (explosion)? I think it's time to revisit the whole E=MC2 conundrum.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
reply to post by clay2 baraka

The real question is: why do the space gods keep throwing rocks at that lake?..

That's what i was wondering too a couple of pages ago. What are the odds of that??
Improbability drive comes to mind

Even though all of the english information states it is not confirmed, the Russians are writing there are plenty of eyewitness statements about lake Čebarkul being one of the 20 impact sites in 1949.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Exitt because: .

new topics

top topics

<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join