It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 69
<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
rt.com...

a little recap for those that dont want read a billion posts....

13 million in damage

1200 injuried..sound like mostly from glass

I wonder if their insurance will cover the damage. Is there a section for meteorite or sonic boom strikes?
This sucks for them. I hope no one got seriously hurt.
Funny (don't mean to start another conspiracy) but of all countries, communist Russia and Cuba both had exploding meteors. I'd be looking at us if I were them. Just kidding. Well, not really!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

The real question is: why do the space gods keep throwing rocks at that lake?..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blades144
reply to post by Grimpachi

I agree, Russia shot nothing down. This was the shortest window of opportunity to react. The meteor entered the atmosphere at a velocity of 33,000-45,000 MPH! No one on Earth has a missile that can reach such velocity within the atmosphere, let alone be fired quick enough to hit it at an angle or head on.

It's a good bet that the USA saw it coming before the Russians did.
The USA has a space fence projected up into space.
I'm sure they have been adding to it over the years.
This asteroid probably "tripped the fence" and then we got on the phone right away.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Blue Shift
If anything, this proves that you should never be suckered into believing those "UFO flies over major city but it only captured by one guy" videos, because this thing lasted seconds and there are oodles of videos of it.

Apparently dash cams are common there because of corrupt police, how many people do you know with a dash cams, I don't know anybody, and there are no cameras in my backyard, this was broad daylight, they must have cameras everywhere.

I have a dash cam.... a mobile on a dashstand. You forget the technology is in front of your face with simple applications not expensive ones.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Looking over the mountains of footage leads me to believe that there were two separate meteorites.
Maybe the existing meteorite was cleaved in half whilst entering the atmosphere.

Two distinct contrails, interesting.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauCetixeta

Originally posted by Blades144
reply to post by Grimpachi

I agree, Russia shot nothing down. This was the shortest window of opportunity to react. The meteor entered the atmosphere at a velocity of 33,000-45,000 MPH! No one on Earth has a missile that can reach such velocity within the atmosphere, let alone be fired quick enough to hit it at an angle or head on.

It's a good bet that the USA saw it coming before the Russians did.
The USA has a space fence projected up into space.
I'm sure they have been adding to it over the years.
This asteroid probably "tripped the fence" and then we got on the phone right away.

It was explained earlier that the meteor came in from the direction of the sun and was thus undetectable due to interference caused by the sun's radiation.

I doubt we saw it until it impacted our upper atmosphere..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jodlum66
Can someone provide me with a link showing the diagram that has the trajectory of the meteorite and the incoming asteroid. I tried looking for the link again, to no avail. I tried looking in my web browser history and still couldn't locate it. So if someone could locate it for me that would be awesome. Sorting through 70 pages is time consuming. Thanks if you can help me.

Hopefully you see it and it doesn't get lost again in the midst of the thread.

edit on 15-2-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by clearmind
rt.com...

a little recap for those that dont want read a billion posts....

13 million in damage

1200 injuried..sound like mostly from glass

I wonder if their insurance will cover the damage. Is there a section for meteorite or sonic boom strikes?
This sucks for them. I hope no one got seriously hurt.
Funny (don't mean to start another conspiracy) but of all countries, communist Russia and Cuba both had exploding meteors. I'd be looking at us if I were them. Just kidding. Well, not really!

I wonder if they have insurance?

In any case, it's winter - going to be a very cold night if you have no windows. Though my impression is that that is the reason for a lot of the 'emergency response'

link   
Earthquake parametres from the Russian meteor copied from USGS earthquake.usgs.gov... for future reference.

Earthquake Details
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude ? (uncertain or not yet determined)

Date-Time

Friday, February 15, 2013 at 03:22:00 UTC
Friday, February 15, 2013 at 08:22:00 AM at epicenter

55.150°N, 61.410°E

Depth

0 km (~0 mile) (poorly constrained)

Region

URAL MOUNTAINS REGION, RUSSIA

Distances

6 km (4 miles) S (185°) from Chelyabinsk, Russia
113 km (70 miles) E (90°) from Zlatoust, Russia
150 km (94 miles) S (190°) from Kamensk-Uralskiy, Russia
802 km (499 miles) NW (307°) from ASTANA (Tselinograd), Kazakhstan

Location Uncertainty

horizontal +/- 128.9 km (80.1 miles); depth +/- 11.4 km (7.1 miles)

Parameters

Nph= 0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=7.83 sec, Gp= 0,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=H

Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID usc000f7rz

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
After 60 some pages it sure looks like many of the comments in this thread have reduced the collective IQ of ATS by about 80 points.

Many people aren't even reading previous post, just posting their own stupid input or questions about things that have already been asked or answered.

Absolutely agree with that. By experience, it seems only 10% of ATS are truly scientifically literate. However, they do not have to be since it is a conspiracy site.

The major problems are people who jump in and do not read the majority of posts, and those that try to spread dis-information from bogus sources, or delusions that they themselves would like to perpetuate. Such is human nature, I guess.

One thing is certain, many people are "orbitally" challenged. They do not understand that these two asteroid events must be completely un-related. But you will not be able to change their minds. And that is ok as well.

The other certainty is this is one of the most fantastic days in recent space history. We should all just marvel at what nature can throw your way.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I find it amazing to see a thread get 300+ flags and 60+ pages in less than 24 hours... The story is very special by itself, but being a big ATS fan, watching a thread develop like this so fast is also unique in its own way...

S&F OP

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wow, amazing activity in this thread. I'm just posting to say I'm glad that thing didn't hit around my neck of the woods. Scary #!

link   

If anything, this proves that you should never be suckered into believing those "UFO flies over major city but it only captured by one guy" videos, because this thing lasted seconds and there are oodles of videos of it.

You have a mediocre point because a UFO typically doesn't call attention to itself by displaying elongated plumes of smoke like this object did. Nor do most countries/citizens readily have dash cams like Russians seems to have.

Also....this event was ultra bright. Except for some pre-abduction cases: UFOs typically haven't been documented as having bright luminescence emissions.

So although your analogy might be considered good 'fruit'....it's still apples verses oranges

link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Apparently dash cams are common there because of corrupt police, how many people do you know with a dash cams, I don't know anybody, and there are no cameras in my backyard, this was broad daylight, they must have cameras everywhere.

I have a dash cam.... a mobile on a dashstand. You forget the technology is in front of your face with simple applications not expensive ones.

I understand but it isn't that common around here.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Thank you so much for finding that for me, I have been looking for a while now! I like how the Pacifier was making fun of me for them not being related, and it clearly states that in the Diagram I requested. Props again for finding it for me.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Originally posted by ShadowLink
After 60 some pages it sure looks like many of the comments in this thread have reduced the collective IQ of ATS by about 80 points.

Many people aren't even reading previous post, just posting their own stupid input or questions about things that have already been asked or answered.

Absolutely agree with that. By experience, it seems only 10% of ATS are truly scientifically literate. However, they do not have to be since it is a conspiracy site.

The major problems are people who jump in and do not read the majority of posts, and those that try to spread dis-information from bogus sources, or delusions that they themselves would like to perpetuate. Such is human nature, I guess.

One thing is certain, many people are "orbitally" challenged. They do not understand that these two asteroid events must be completely un-related. But you will not be able to change their minds. And that is ok as well.

The other certainty is this is one of the most fantastic days in recent space history. We should all just marvel at what nature can throw your way.

What makes this day fantastic is that most people have cell phones that can record
this incredible event. We got the video AND the audio! ..........BOOM!!!..........

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
the funny thing is I heard about this from a friend and not my girlfriend who was on the phone with her sister in uralsk Kazakhstan this morning and who mentioned nothing about it.

apparently after watching the secret the other night, my powers of positive attraction aka destroying her hometown with a meteor so she will never go back are stronger than I thought

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What an amazing event!

Where are all the people now who are always saying, "Nothing's ever going to happen!"

Hopefully these people will get out of their little bubbles and start realizing that they actually don't live in a controlled environment where everything's always going to soft and fuzzy.

new topics

top topics

<< 66  67  68    70  71  72 >>

join