It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

I still dont understand how a meteorite can just fall to the icy lake and make a hole like that without some kind of velocity.
It depends on temperature and the angle of impact if liquid metal at a certain speed would impact with certain type of materials then it will have this kind of an effect.

And if that metal is titanium alloyed with certain types of materials then....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EL1A5
I don't know if this was brought up already (there are a lot of replies) but was there any warning of this occurance? Judging from the videos nobody seemed to expect it to happen. There had to have been someone who saw this coming. I have also noticed that a lot of the earlier videos have been removed as if someone was trying to make it as vague as possible.

The meteor was only 10 to 11 tons and about 2 meters wide..........would be very hard to spot, even with a very large telescope, and good seeing at night.

I believe that it also was approaching us from our day side (means you can forget using a telescope to spot an object that is as small as a small couch).

As for videos being yanked, I noticed that too. Not sure why unless the ones being pulled are because someone is copying them and the original owners are upset about it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by eriktheawful
By the time a debris from this meteor hits the lake surface, it could have very easily had a velocity of only terminal velocity and had cooled down enough to be only warm to the touch.
So you'd get a circular hole.......and no steam.

Erik's post is awesomely insightful and accurate.

This story has yet to peak -- and everybody sharing here, builds our data base. Links, theories, speculations -- IMHO it's all welcome and if we withhold judgments we may all avoid downstream embarrassment and autologophagia.

[* autologophagia -- from the greek, 'auto' -- own 'logo' word. 'phagia' eating]

Why are you writing like a robot? Are you in some type of NASA-morse code mode?

If you're NOT saying this isn't linked to the asteroid then....take it up with CBS.

Meteor potentially linked to asteroid 2012 DA14, expert says
February 15, 2013

(CBS News) It's possible the giant meteor that slammed into Russia Friday morning has something to do with the asteroid -- known as 2012 DA14 -- that's expected to soon fly by Earth, according one expert.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
About the hole in the ice.

The hole is round cause, it's not the shape or the angle that makes the hole, it's the exsplosion from the impact.

The water gets pulled down on impact and allways create a cirkel when comming back up, breaking the ice in to a round hole.

Look at any impact crater on earth or the moon, they are all circular, take granats or bombs, no matter the angle they allways create a circular hole....Easy
edit on 15-2-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

This one didn't:
www.supermanhomepage.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
reply to post by ChesterJohn

you broke the embed

Thought I'd post it for you seeing as the thread is going no where now with silly arguments about god knows what.

The good stuff is being ignored in favour of the dark side.. :/

Good video, new to the thread. Sure gives the impact more grunt than some other videos.

this video was posted very early in the thread if i remember correctly

but yes its not always a sin to post them again
a thread this big moving so quickly a lot of info can get buried very fast!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

HA,

This mornings meteor came from a trajectory that was almost perpendicular to that of 2012 DA14's path.

There was a post earlier in this thread showing that. Imagine a dot on your screen in the middle being Earth. Now imagine a line coming from the left of your screen and touching the Earth, that was the path of the Russian meteor.

Now imagine a line rising up from the bottom of your screen, going past the center and continuing to the top. That's the path of 2012 DA14.

That is why they are saying they are not related.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol

I'm for not being told if a E.L.E asteroid is on it's way here....it would literally be all over in a flash...
I think we would have a RIGHT to know. NASA has already proven themselves guilty of hiding things from the public.. NASA knew the space shuttle Columbia was not going to make it on re-entry and they did not say a damn thing to the astronauts about it... So your wish will probably be granted if such a asteroid was about to hit the earth.. I'm sure though some amateur astrologist would spot it, and would be the only hope of us knowing... Also I would assume this meteor would have appeared on Russian radar systems good thing they did not mistake it as a bomb and flip the nuke switch.
edit on 15-2-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

This is a legit sighting, but I doubt any connection to tomorrow's asteroid, and here's why.

This event was more than 12 hours prior to the expected flyby, and at an Earth orbital speed of 18 miles per second, that puts us about a million miles off the intersecting track of the asterfoid.
edit on 15-2-2013 by JimOberg because: (no reason given)

Someone help me out here.
When is the last time the earth and associated spacial bodies have been through this part of space in the cycle?
Let's say that the asteroids collided on the last cycle. If one asteroid was slowed down by as much as 1 mph even, how much time would that give it in distance apart in 100 years, assuming a 100 year cycle for example?

The asteroid to come could still be related when it has had many years to loose or gain distance if its speed was impacted on the last cycle even by a small amount.
edit on 15-2-2013 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by EL1A5
I don't know if this was brought up already (there are a lot of replies) but was there any warning of this occurance? Judging from the videos nobody seemed to expect it to happen. There had to have been someone who saw this coming. I have also noticed that a lot of the earlier videos have been removed as if someone was trying to make it as vague as possible.

Ab-so-friggin-lutely!

They are paid to: find things out, disperse enough info, keep hushed when necessary and hire debunkers when critical thinking becomes too rampant (See: Mr O)

link   
Let's collect and share as rapidly as possible, and quibble later.

I'll be live on CNBC at 2:20 PM EST for the fly-past, you can throw popcorn at the TV screen if you feel like it. Somebody get a screen-grab and post it here for dart board target use.

Jim

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wow. Simply wow. Some of this footage is brilliant.
Hopefully nobody has died from the impact and hopefully the injured recover quickly.

Anyway, meteor impacts have scared us Earthlings for an age but to see clear footage like this is great.

Now to the questions I have. I'm not sure if they've been asked. possibly have as we have over 1000 replys in this thread, but here goes,

~ Why wasn't this noticed earlier? Nasa can apparently track space debris the size of a softball but not this?

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/orbital_debris.html

Surely they'd notice this?

Also, as I've read, is this linked to DA-14? Tonight (15/02/2013) meteor?

My opinion it is. It may be a coincidence, but its a very large and alarming coincidence I think and it has me worried.

Tonights meteor will pass Earth tonight closer than orbiting satallites.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21442863

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9873233/Asteroid-2012-DA14-brushes-by-Earth-live.html

That's close. Expertise say we need binoculars to see it in the sky. (Towards the southern sky between 19.30hrs & 21.30hrs In the UK) Yet we can see normal satallites occasionally.

This things close. Could it hit any currently orbiting satallites?
Could the pull of the Earth affect its path?

How do satallites stay in orbit?

library.thinkquest.org/C007258/Keep_Orbit.htm

And this meteor is going to come 17.200miles from the surface. Satallites are generally near the 22.000mile mark.

Will there be any other debris/shards hitting Earth as this passes?

What's the makeup of the meteor?

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2278196/DA14-asteroid-worth-billions-mined-natural-resources.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Is there anything that would make it change course due to its make up??

More questions than answers...

But ill be looking to the night sky tonight... and wearing a hard hat.. just in case...

eee.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Not in english, couldn't find one in english, but a meteor explosion shook houses in Cuba. Why Russia and Cuba, if the meteors are that selective then maybe they can direct fragments where they want?

www.rainews24.rai.it...

The IDEAL weapon....made to look like a natural phenomena.....

Not saying it WAS but you know.....there are possibilities..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainAbstract

Haha Ohno.. I'm not to blame, I can't even speak Russian let alone read it, but the other guy didn't seem to be intending to fix the embed so I thought it warranted a place here.

Some guy translated part of it also, which I'm sure gains (or loses) things in translation, kinda made me giggle.

"Don't afraid guys, lets run. The fun has just begun." which I knew was what he was saying by the tone of his animated voice as he and everyone ran to the other side of the building.

You know, it's also funny. Millennia ago when the word Disaster was first brought into use, it was from things that fell from the sky. Dis and Astro. Bad Star. People didn't know what was going on, a star seemed to fall from the sky, exploding and raining down fire on them.. it was as if god had struck out at them.

Thousands of year later, when things fall from the sky... despite knowing what it is, still humans look for a covert power that must be, to be the cause of it.

We'll never really evolve.. will we.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
As eriktheawful said the meteor's trajectory was nearly perpendicular to the trajectory of 2012 DA14's path.

I don't see why so many people go into doomsday mode whenever anything happens, it's seems as though they actually want to die. Pretty sad

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Please please please read the last 20 or so pages. Within there is the information you are asking.

With pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
reply to post by Human_Alien

HA,

This mornings meteor came from a trajectory that was almost perpendicular to that of 2012 DA14's path.

There was a post earlier in this thread showing that. Imagine a dot on your screen in the middle being Earth. Now imagine a line coming from the left of your screen and touching the Earth, that was the path of the Russian meteor.

Now imagine a line rising up from the bottom of your screen, going past the center and continuing to the top. That's the path of 2012 DA14.

That is why they are saying they are not related.

Hi my friend,

Well apparently not everyone is aboard the 'not-related' train!

(wow.....the CBS page is now...missing!!!
www.cbsnews.com... )

Now whether this asteroid is ushering in other debris or.....the meteor itself was a part of the asteroid is really a non-issue. They are most likely related. Coincidences of this magnitude defy odds.

I still am entertaining that NASA or whoever, might've taken a nuclear shot at the asteroid and broke it apart.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Macpale
As eriktheawful said the meteor's trajectory was nearly perpendicular to the trajectory of 2012 DA14's path.

I don't see why so many people go into doomsday mode whenever anything happens, it's seems as though they actually want to die. Pretty sad

Here, this is the picture that was posted back on page 50 of this thread:

As you can see from the size of it, not to mention coming from the direction of the sun, it would be darn near impossible to detect it early on.
edit on 15-2-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

Now its reported that a meteor strike in Cuba. Wonder if related to Asteroid DA14
investmentwatchblog.com...

edit on 15-2-2013 by habshead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The cbs page is there.

Saying It is 'possible' it is related also means it is possible it is not.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I posted this video link earlier in the thread and I am still scratching my head.

My ultimate question for this clip and many other I have seen.

How or What are the popping sounds happening almost 20 seconds or more after the trail, and after the sonic boom?

Anyone I am baffled by this. Possibly bits of hydrogen exploding?

edit on 15-2-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join