It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by roadgravel
Looks more like a missile.

Are you an expert on missiles and asteroids?

There are a few pieces of footage of previous meteors making a pass in the atmosphere, this one doesn't look very different.

I have to agree here. I'm not an expert, and plenty of people were skeptical about the vapor trail; but what daytime footage there is of meteors looks pretty similar (if smaller, farther away, etc...)

My vote is the darn thing is exactly what they say... a meteor... And one big coincidence with DA-14, but coincidence it probably is.
edit on 15-2-2013 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Looks more like a missile.

There are a few pieces of footage of previous meteors making a pass in the atmosphere, this one doesn't look very different.

I'm not, therefore I refrain from making patently stupid claims like 'OMG this looks like a missile'.

Claim? just saying it looks like a missile. Big deal. Didn't use the girly OMG like you did either.

Al the fake experts are having a field day on this one. (Not meaning you as an expert).

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
reply to post by eriktheawful

I forgot to add that I find it hard to believe someone who has a cartoon for an avatar.
edit on 2/15/2013 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

Elitist.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
A few minutes ago some woman on SkyNews reported there were these fishermen at the lake and they said that they saw the meteorite break apart in several pieces and they were going off in different directions, perhaps thats the cause for the non eliptical hole in the ice. Same report says that there are little fragments (a few cm) at the edge of that hole. I wondered what they (fishermen) were photographing on one of the pics from rt.com

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Not in english, couldn't find one in english, but a meteor explosion shook houses in Cuba. Why Russia and Cuba, if the meteors are that selective then maybe they can direct fragments where they want?

www.rainews24.rai.it...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
1,000 reported injured as meteorites hit Russia;

now.msn.com... njures-100-in-urals-central-russia?ocid=ansnow11

I didnt hear about this until i turned on the radio and hear about it on the news, that would of been really scary if i were living in russia and seen a big ball of light comming down towards me

Space flak rained on the Chelyabinsk region of central Russia this morning. Insanely scary footage shows fragments hurtling to Earth, reportedly causing windows to break, cellphones to fail, and people to freak the hell out. According to a government spokesperson, more than 400 people required medical treatment, many due to injuries from broken glass, and at least three were hospitalized. "There was panic. People had no idea what was happening," a witness said. "We saw a big ball of light ... and we heard a really loud thundering sound." It is unclear how many meteors were in the sky before the fragments hit.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheldonCooper
I wondered what they (fishermen) were photographing on one of the pics from rt.com

They probably preparing the pics for ebay. I really WISH I had a few pieces myself. $$$

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

A few minutes ago some woman on SkyNews reported there were these fishermen at the lake and they said that they saw the meteorite break apart in several pieces and they were going off in different directions, perhaps thats the cause for the non eliptical hole in the ice. Same report says that there are little fragments (a few cm) at the edge of that hole. I wondered what they (fishermen) were photographing on one of the pics from rt.com

Witnesses. Now that I'll accept and admit I may be wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

How is it that this is not even headlining the evening news in the UK????

Well, firstly they have been talking about it all day here on the news. Take Sky news for example, our biggest news channel, it's one of the main talking points.

And I imagine it's not the main topic of discussion because it also doesn't directly affect us. This happened in Russia, not the UK.. Sorry, we're not the center of the world or anything.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by UnderGetty

oh yeah, they also reported steam around that hole.

link   
www.youtube.com...

lot of UFO activity in region just 2 weeks ago, concidence?

link   

Originally posted by UnderGetty

Originally posted by Senduko
reply to post by UnderGetty

You can dismiss the steam because you don't know when they arived at the seen, I can imagine pretty quickly though. All other things I wondered about to.

I didn't mean to say that the steam should be there. Yes, you are quite right. The steam will dissipate rapidly.
I meant the effect the steam has on the surrounding environment.

If you drop a hot rock into water, you get a splash as the rock enters and also an eruption of water and steam.
There should be newly frozen water all around that hole.

Take a look:

Are meteorites hot and molten when they hit the ground?

No. Meteorites are usually no more than warm to the touch when they land. Meteorites only melt around their outside when they pass through the atmosphere due to friction with the air and the magma produced cools as a fusion crust which is usually 1mm thick.

Source

There is the mater that get's stripped away during the reentry flight that will strip away as it is heating at the same time.
The other thing to remember is that the temps inside the meteor are cold. Very cold.

People have reported picking up recently fallen meteorites and that they were hot to the touch, some simply slightly warm, and even others that have reported frost forming on the outside of the meteorite soon after touch down due to still being cold on the inside.

If you look at the videos, the meteor (I should say debris at this point because it exploded several times if you watch it) stop producing a contrail while it was still very, very high in altitude.

That's because it's velocity had dropped well enough so that friction was no longer heating it. At that point the debris are continuing to travel through the air......air that is cold. Very cold, and through the Russian winter air.

By the time a debris from this meteor hits the lake surface, it could have very easily had a velocity of only terminal velocity and had cooled down enough to be only warm to the touch.

So you'd get a circular hole.......and no steam.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Bull crap...

Oh I forgot...this happens soooo often everyone knows all the variables and can predict down to a millimeter how it will behave...not.

fulla-bulla...I stand by my original point...you are wishful thinking it is something special...it was a rock...it went boom...that's all...there is nothing "super duper special" or "conspiracy" about it...you just want there to be so bad you are making stuff up and trying to hide behind "your" version of what you "think" science is...and you are wrong.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper

Witnesses. Now that I'll accept and admit I may be wrong.

Of course, witnesses say nothing about the real deal, just wanted to add this to your thoughts

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

You are correct there is no proof it was a meteorite impact (notice the absence of a crater) and you are correct there are other theories around as well. But that a meteorite exploded over Tunguska is (IMO!) more likely than the theory a black hole impacted the Earth in that day, or a UFO exploded etc... UNLESS you can recommend me a good source/book where they can show STRONG evidence that it was not a meteorite blowing up but something else. The more plausible theory shall win.
edit on 15-2-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

I know we've butted heads in the past and out of respect to the OP, I don't want to derail this thread by pasting in Tunguska articles. But I will say this: Long Island (where Tesla was living) is in a direct trajectory arc from Tunguska. If a crow could fly it, it wouldn't go off course. It is in perfect alignment.

So....if Nikola was experimenting with ---for lack of a better name---his death-ray machine then, arching over to Russia would not only make a perfect path but perfect sense especially when there was nor is any sign of a meteorite impact.
So much we don't know .................................

This meteorite is very suspicious. I wonder if the ISS captured anything. Probably did that's why there's no word from NASA

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
How ironic that this meteorite crash is going to get more attention then the asteroid fly by!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Here's some interesting comments from Michio Kaku on the matter:

m.cbsnews.com...

(CBS News) It's possible the giant meteor that slammed into Russia Friday morning has something to do with the asteroid -- known as 2012 DA14 -- that's expected to soon fly by Earth, according one expert.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Not in english, couldn't find one in english, but a meteor explosion shook houses in Cuba. Why Russia and Cuba, if the meteors are that selective then maybe they can direct fragments where they want?

www.rainews24.rai.it...

If it happened in Cuba, why is it being reportedly only by Italy? Can't find anything about a meteor explosion in Cuba, anywhere. Also of note, my browser didn't like that page much and didn't load it due to "malicious spyware".

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
By the time a debris from this meteor hits the lake surface, it could have very easily had a velocity of only terminal velocity and had cooled down enough to be only warm to the touch.
So you'd get a circular hole.......and no steam.

Erik's post is awesomely insightful and accurate.

This story has yet to peak -- and everybody sharing here, builds our data base. Links, theories, speculations -- IMHO it's all welcome and if we withhold judgments we may all avoid downstream embarrassment and autologophagia.

[* autologophagia -- from the greek, 'auto' -- own 'logo' word. 'phagia' eating]

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

you broke the embed

Thought I'd post it for you seeing as the thread is going no where now with silly arguments about god knows what.

The good stuff is being ignored in favour of the dark side.. :/

Good video, new to the thread. Sure gives the impact more grunt than some other videos.

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join