It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Looks more like a missile.

Are you an expert on missiles and asteroids?

There are a few pieces of footage of previous meteors making a pass in the atmosphere, this one doesn't look very different.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by raedar
Is this guy a nutter?

Russian nationalist lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky, long known for his flamboyance and outrageous remarks, said Friday that meteorite fragments had not rained down on Russia in the morning, but that the light flashes and tremors in several of the country’s regions resulted from US weapons tests, APA reports quoting RIA Novosti. “Those aren’t meteors falling, it’s the Americans testing new weapons,” Zhirinovsky, leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, told journalists several hours after the Emergencies Ministry began issuing statements on the incident, which has injured hundreds and damaged scores of buildings. He also said US Secretary of State John Kerry had wanted to warn Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov about the “provocation” on Monday, but couldn’t reach him – a reference to US State Department comments earlier this week that Kerry had spent several days trying to speak to Lavrov by phone to discuss North Korea and Syria. Outer space has its own laws, Zhirinovsky went on.

APA story

he's just plain simple a court jester, never pay attention to what he ever says, his opuses are aimed at the minds of those brainwashed who crossed the point of no return.

link   

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
reply to post by eriktheawful

What are your credentials? Can you prove you're an expert in physics?

30 years of experience, plus degrees in electrical and electronic engineering.

10 of those years spent working on both missile and ballistic weapons systems for the US Navy.

Now.......how about you?

link   

Originally posted by theillusion
Ok...so...this "meteorite" burns up as it enters the atmosphere....and then "explodes"? hmmmm
BTW....shouldn't the "experts" have known about this meteorite, before it entered earth's atmosphere? With all the "eyes in the sky"...you think we'd be a little more prepared. Something doesn't seem right with this.

To quote what someone once said in a movie..." with all due respect Sir, it's a big Assed sky"...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

There are a few pieces of footage of previous meteors making a pass in the atmosphere, this one doesn't look very different.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

A meteor that exploded over Russia this morning was the largest recorded object to strike the Earth in more than a century, scientists say. Infrasound data collected by a network designed to watch for nuclear weapons testing suggests that today's blast released hundreds of kilotonnes of energy. That would make it far more powerful than the nuclear weapon tested by North Korea just days ago and the largest rock crashing on the planet since a meteor broke up over Siberia's Tunguska river in 1908.

Far more powerful than North Koreas nuclear test

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by theillusion
Ok...so...this "meteorite" burns up as it enters the atmosphere....and then "explodes"? hmmmm
BTW....shouldn't the "experts" have known about this meteorite, before it entered earth's atmosphere? With all the "eyes in the sky"...you think we'd be a little more prepared. Something doesn't seem right with this.

Actually the answer is no, they couldn't keep track of everything whirling around up there even if they tried their absolute hardest ever...There is just too much, in fact NEO's (near earth objects) are only tracked of a certain size.

There are many more small NEOs than large ones. Astronomers estimate that there are approximately 1100 Near Earth Asteroids (NEAs) larger than 1 km in diameter, and more than a million larger than 40 m in diameter (the approximate threshold for penetration through the Earth's atmosphere). The largest NEAs are less than 25 km in diameter. There are probably many more comets than NEAs, but they spend almost all of their lifetimes at great distances from the Sun and Earth, so that they contribute only about 10% to the census of larger objects that strike the Earth, and probably less than 1% of NEOs less than 1 km in diameter.

Exciting linky

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well the president is at the White House today handing out the Citizen Medals, so at least we know he isn't holed up at the bunkers in Colorado. It's looking better as far as DA14 an its impact potential...
lol
edit on 15-2-2013 by Piper96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko

The fireball that hit Russia’s Urals is the largest rock to strike the planet since 1908, the Nature Magazine says. The blast was even more powerful than North Korea’s recent nuclear test, added the UK journal. Unlike the Russian Academy of Science, it estimated that the mass of the fireball was around 40 tons before it entered the atmosphere. Russian scientists have put the mass at 10 tons.

now thats some force!
biggest object since Tunguska

RT NEWS

And here again, there is no proof----zero, zilch, nada proof that a meteorite struck Tunguska. This is why when science meets the media it becomes do detrimentally impeding to our minds. It makes us conclude therefore...we no longer think! We just accept.

It makes MORE sense that Tesla himself set off the Tunguska event from Long Island that evening. But that's a different topic, for a different thread for some other time

Ya know, the Native and indigenous people on this planet know MORE about what's going on in the cosmos and on Earth because they are devoid the media! Think about it. So who are really the wisest?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Anybody can say anything on the internet. You're opinion here is as valid as anyone else's.

I forgot to add that I find it hard to believe someone who has a cartoon for an avatar.
edit on 2/15/2013 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

link   
here is yet another video

link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

What are your credentials? Can you prove you're an expert in physics?

30 years of experience, plus degrees in electrical and electronic engineering.

10 of those years spent working on both missile and ballistic weapons systems for the US Navy.

Now.......how about you?

hahahahahahha
got to say that things seem weird..

link   
For all those proudly self described Scientists out there who are always so cock-sure they know just how things work and will play out. Pay attention now, this was just one of many things to occur and this is just pre-game show! Immaterial if Asteroid DA214 hits Earth or not we will be getting slammed with greater regularity and the major Quakes are right around the corner. I must admit, my advanced college education plays NO part in my pronouncements. Just that "Good ole time religion" along with an open mind about Human history relative our existence on the planet and whats recorded as Fact by nearly every major culture and peoples since we became (were taught) how to record our lives and occurences as well as documententing contact with extraterrestrial beings.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

I'm not, therefore I refrain from making patently stupid claims like 'OMG this looks like a missile'.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Anybody can say anything on the internet. You're opinion here is as valid as anyone else's.

Absolutely true.

However, when I do say things about physics I can back it up with data and sources......

Not blanket statements such as:

"No physicist would say blah blah blah."

With NOTHING to back it up.

That's the difference.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
reply to post by UnderGetty

You can dismiss the steam because you don't know when they arived at the seen, I can imagine pretty quickly though. All other things I wondered about to.

I didn't mean to say that the steam should be there. Yes, you are quite right. The steam will dissipate rapidly.
I meant the effect the steam has on the surrounding environment.

If you drop a hot rock into water, you get a splash as the rock enters and also an eruption of water and steam.
There should be newly frozen water all around that hole.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
double post
edit on 15-2-2013 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by CaptainCanuck
I would like to believe that an event such as the meteorite that hit Russia, brings the world a little closer together for the greater good because even though it wasn't our doorstep it landed on,at the end of the day Earth is still our home.

I'm with you my brother (or sister)

It can ONLY take some outside intervention to unite us as a species. We are totally incapable of that ourselves while our governments/religions/languages/borders divide us.

So whether it'll be in some form of cosmic or alien event .....it will be a much needed bitter-sweet scenario for sure

link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

And here again, there is no proof----zero, zilch, nada proof that a meteorite struck Tunguska. This is why when science meets the media it becomes do detrimentally impeding to our minds. It makes us conclude therefore...we no longer think! We just accept.

It makes MORE sense that Tesla himself set off the Tunguska event from Long Island that evening. But that's a different topic, for a different thread for some other time

You are correct there is no proof it was a meteorite impact (notice the absence of a crater) and you are correct there are other theories around as well. But that a meteorite exploded over Tunguska is (IMO!) more likely than the theory a black hole impacted the Earth in that day, or a UFO exploded etc... UNLESS you can recommend me a good source/book where they can show STRONG evidence that it was not a meteorite blowing up but something else. The more plausible theory shall win.
edit on 15-2-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

link   
www.youtube.com...

2 years ago in Serbia, I also saw it, but it burned before touching ground, also you could hear roar while if was flying and hear it from a great distance

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join