It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

Originally posted by Suspiria
Apparently this came from a completely different trajectory to DA 14 and is unrelated.

I'm sick and tired of this response, yes everyone keeps claiming this, but can we get a source please?
I'm pretty sure some ATS"expert" said it.

Fine...

But astronomers say that it is probably just a coincidence - Dr Robert Massey of the Royal Astronomical Society told MailOnline: 'As I understand it, the Russian meteorite(s) were travelling from east to west whereas 2012 DA14 will be travelling from north to south.'

www.dailymail.co.uk... -town-causes-panic-knocks-mobile-network.html

Yes it's the daily mail, but unless this meteorite was trying to enter Britain and claim benefits then the report is probably kosher.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I'm glad no one was killed.
Looks like a meteor (ite? can never remember) to me. I don't see how any nation could possibly be able to shoot down a meteor and not rule the world. First of all huge barrages of missiles would have to be on constant ready to fire status, there would have to be a huge array of satellite tech in place able to monitor the field of debris constantly orbiting our planet with the ability to detect which rocks or space junk would fall to earth before they even started falling. The time from entry to impact is barely two blinks of an eye, how can anyone punch in coordinates fast enough?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Russians are claiming it came from SUN direction, not connected to D14. Also there is no doubt it was a meteor, all effects are there, who ever saw one falling (I saw famous bolid fall in Serbia 300km away it lit the sky www.b92.net... ), i have one question:

1. Keeping in mind solar EM activity and presence of asteroid/meteor with majority of Fe - iron rocks, what is the possibility for sun to change trajectory or even act as rail-gun for smaller rocks passing by and when CME happens? I think there is plausible chance for sun to have effect.

FYI: Even though meteroid has supersonic speed, air-defense can act,

edit on 15-2-2013 by flash75 because: added link

link   
Just goes to show you that not all NEO's are Logged and Identified..... I'm not surprised, I had an inkling back in mid January something may happen regarding an NEO
question is ...... Is This The Main Event
In a way I hope it was.....

Originally posted by DreamerOracle

16 January 2013 DreamBurst: A asteroid (Missed NEO) decending over a very lit city street (a bit glitzy fancy neon bilboards and street lights... NOT VEGAS... highrised buildings in the background,a massive broadwalk compared to the road... The end of a V-shaped junction) Size of a small truck and as black as coal with fire and flames billowing from it as it went. I'd say about 20° angle of decent.

edit on 15-2-2013 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Senduko

Scientists have played down suggestions that there is any link between the event in the Urals and 2012 DA14, an asteroid expected to race past the Earth on Friday at a distance of just 27,700km (17,200 miles) - the closest ever predicted for an object of that size.

Prof Alan Fitzsimmons, of the Astrophysics Research Centre at Queen's University Belfast, said there was "almost definitely" no connection.

"One reason is that 2012 DA14 is approaching Earth from the south, and this object hit in the northern hemisphere," he told BBC News.

Source

Will that satisfy your needs good sir?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Okay, I guess its better then nothing, however usually when providing facts I suspect this little NASA orbit diagram showing the projectory. Not someone say how I understand it.

But thanks for this source.

EDIT: woogleuk Yes it would thank you

edit on 15-2-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

EDIT:

Prof Alan Fitzsimmons, of the Astrophysics Research Centre at Queen's University Belfast, said there was "almost definitely" no connection.

Now what kind of factual statement is "almost definitely" ? Its either a yes or a no lol.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Yes it's the daily mail, but unless this meteorite was trying to enter Britain and claim benefits then the report is probably kosher.

That is hilarious.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Residents of the town of Emanzhilinsk, some 50 kilometers from Chelyabinsk, said they saw a flying object that suddenly burst into flames, broke apart and fell to earth, and that a black cloud had been seen hanging above the town. Witnesses in Chelyabinsk said the city’s air smells like gunpowder.

rt.com...
That doesn't sound like a meteor. It sounds like a plane exploding.

edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

And how many burning planes have you smelt?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
It was moving towards east and sunshine was affecting the trail from below (it was dawn there). I don't know where it actually entered atmosphere, but it doesn't seem it was coming FROM the Sun

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by T4NG0
reply to post by harryhaller

I just can't see how you can "intercept" something that small, traveling at 10/km per second, 35 miles above the earth. No one is that prepared. Especially the Russians.

Then you need to look up the Iron Dome.
Im pretty sure they have a similar system in place.

edit on 15-2-2013 by xXSvenXx because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2013 by xXSvenXx because: Spelling

link   
reply to post by Senduko

Probably just trying to cover his own bum in the slightest almost non-existent chance that someone fluffed up the reports and it is connected, which it isn't, but just in case, lol.

link   
rt tweet

BREAKING UPDATE: Emergency min denies report meteorite was shot down by Russian military

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Dude all these people just posted that it was traveling East to West. Now think for a second. What direction does the sun rise.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Best of luck to the Russians affected by this

One thing puzzles me though, the article on RT says about 'unconfirmed military reports' of a larger object being hit by air defenses, and a 'missile salvo' hit it and broke it into pieces at around 20km altitude...how does a missile salvo target something moving at almost 70,000 Mph?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by xXSvenXx

The iron dome could not intercept something that fast, it would be a case of "FIR........ah crap, nevermind, someone stick the kettle on"

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Oh, ya know, it doesn't

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by xXSvenXx

Not even close to being able to shoot down meteorites. Expected hostile missiles are quite a different story than random rocks, ice, debris entering our atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Damn this is some pretty messed up # .. anyway i just saw on the dutch news headline that it problaby has ties to the meteor DA14.Atleast it's said to be debri's of that meteor, according to the russian army speak's of 3 debri piece's and there has been reportered over 750 injured people
.Sorry i dont have the time to translate the report but i will later.

So this news report says the following things according to there source's:

- 750 +/- cassualties
- 3 Piece's of meteor debri
- The russian gov got warned a few days ago about a upcoming meteor shower which they responding '' Oh well it will problaby burn in the atmosphere no reason to panic'' .
- There is still a chance this has something to do with the meteor DA14

Source: Ad.nl (Dutch text)
edit on 15-2-2013 by Dutcheagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Its not manual.
Do you think some poor sole has to calculate the trajectory himself?
And then press fire?
Im sure its all automatic.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
Best of luck to the Russians affected by this

One thing puzzles me though, the article on RT says about 'unconfirmed military reports' of a larger object being hit by air defenses, and a 'missile salvo' hit it and broke it into pieces at around 20km altitude...how does a missile salvo target something moving at almost 70,000 Mph?

well actually they might get away with that, you can fire a "salvo" of missiles up and hope the object hits them
just like German aa did against American bombers in ww2 , so no need for the missile to target anything
edit on 2/15/2013 by zoomer72 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join