It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
That's right, blame the US

Russia’s controversial Liberal leader, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, has blamed Americans for today’s meteorite scare, local media report.

english.ruvr.ru...

Hah

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

The point is... two times I've seen the fireballs streaking across the sky. Both times there's a single trail of smoke.

Even if they're broken into pieces, they're still close together correct?

There are DISTINCT trails of smoke behind that one. Like a jet would make.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Yes it could have broken into two pieces. It could have been broken into three or four pieces. The odds of it happening?

Depends upon the trajectory, speed, composition of asteroid, etc. However, most smaller asteroids burn up in the atmosphere. Breaking apart is part of the burning up process so i would say the odds are very high for anything above a certain size.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Edit: false.
edit on 15/2/13 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

As it enter the atmosphere?

Well, I'll leave this to Phage. I am deaf so I can't really comment. He did say something about sounding like one.

link   

Originally posted by Movhisattva
Video of one of the impact locations:

Someone spliced that news vid with an old one..

edit on 2/15/2013 by yubiaden because: derp

edit on 2/15/2013 by yubiaden because: (no reason given)

link   

reply to post by Brainiac

Now you get it lol
I think there's more to this than what they are telling us.

1st impression...I agree.

Is This A Test for something bigger in the future?

With all the crap they have been sending up into space, who knows what they have ready and waiting to pummel into the earth below to cause widespread panic.

Next time it could be a western target and specific landmarks for creating the right scenario and outcome.

HERE we have the problem (unforseen impacts from space)
NEXT we have the reaction (Star Wars program type)
THEN we have the solution (More weapons in space at the taxpayers expense)

Let's hope this is not going to be anything more than an isolated incedent.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by yubiaden

Are you sure?
Then they fooled my newspaper here.

Edit: indeed, www.1tv.ru... don't have it themselves.
Thanks for the correction.
edit on 15/2/13 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
There are plenty of people on here who are cock sure that DA14 will not have any impact, we've known about it for ages, fine. The question arises though, why wasn't this incident warned of in advance in the same way? If this kind of incident is unpredictable, presumably it could happen in the next minute wherever you are.
So I don't want to be a doom monger, but I heard no mention of this russian incident or accompanying warnings yesterday.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
They have landed.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Yes it could have broken into two pieces. It could have been broken into three or four pieces. The odds of it happening?

Pretty high id think, ive seen a few vids of fireballs where you have lots of little trails coming off fragments and the like.

For me given the sheer size of the trail, the whole flaring up, and explosive shock-wave and how it looked compared to other vids of similar meteors over the years, its a meteor or asteroid until im told otherwise.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you guy's insinuating that this could possibly be an attack???

Just seems silly. I understand "they" put out some serious warnings. And it seemed to me they were being very cautious.

But come on....... It was a meteor shower.

I have read that these meteor's sometimes carry with them some debree, due to the maginitism of these rocks.

Phage, Can ya help me out here?
edit on 15-2-2013 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
from ESA twitter page

ESA experts at #ESOC confirm *no* link between #meteor incidents in #Russia & #Asteroid #2012DA14 Earth flyby tonite #SSA #NEO

twitter.com...

link   

I'll need pictures or videos of that

link   
Another impressive video directly from Russia where the whole entering is visible:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

reply to post by winofiend

Yep more to this than what they are telling us

Well, I am not sure what they are telling us at the moment, there is a lot of conflicting info, and a lot of misinfo/disinfo coming in from people who think posting a video of Armageddon or something is a hoot..

I know I do not know enough to make a complete determination of my own, so I do rely on what people with experience have to say, but I'm not going to assume that the two tails of smoke are inconsistent with a meteor breaking up in atmosphere, perhaps into multiple segments each capable of adding a a separate plume.

I do know that at first, when I first looked, I thought that it was the best CGI I'd seen in a long time.

But as yet, I'm still going to keep all of my eyes open on everything that comes in about this, and not conclude one way or another other than knowing that something from space has entered the atmosphere and broken up before causing a fair bit of damage to a pretty wide region.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I have 2 small pieces of meteoirtes, most of it if not all is metallic. Each of them weighs more than any pebble with the same size. We know that stones even those who contain iron are not fully metallic and consist of lots of other substances and elements. These I have are as heavy as lead (Pb). The speed with which the meteorite in Russia traveled is around 8 times the speed of a bullet and yet explosion was heard. Imagine if 45 m impacted the Earth - the shockwave would be big and strong enough to do major damage, injuries even death.

And a 500 km object can just repeat what supposedly caused the death of the dinosaurs. What surprises me seeing those videos, is that these pieces that are less in dimeter than the fly-by 45 m object with mass: 130K tons! shockave could cause.

People continue to underestimate the possibility of near-Earth objects and the damage they may cause without being 500 km in diameter, so perhaps people need to stop being so careless of such events. That's why I think sometimes, something like that has to happen to change the way people think about it

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Ok I know you are trying to cling onto some kind of conspiracy here but omg dude watch this video. It is one object that blew up a little bit into a few pieces that all made their own sonic boom. You can see the trail get wide once it breaks apart and sets the trail on fire, that is the part that dissipated a little and looks like two trails.

Oh yeah, and for the people claiming it was shot down? For god sake you cant shoot something down traveling at 10 or so k/m per second,sorry.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I do know that at first, when I first looked, I thought that it was the best CGI I'd seen in a long time.

I was thinking that.

That driver not reacting to it? I smell BS.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

As it enter the atmosphere?

Well, I'll leave this to Phage. I am deaf so I can't really comment. He did say something about sounding like one.

Deaf Alien, I think when Phage said several pages back that 'it sounded like' he was referring to the description of it, not the sound of it, but I understand the confusion. I had to go over that a few times myself. Since you couldn't hear it, the actual explosion was very dramatic; if you had been there, you would have felt it in your chest like an impact.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join