It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 104
<< 101  102  103    105 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by weavty1

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

Originally posted by kloejen

There are several "explosions" heard in many audio sources, after the big boom. It could maybe give an idea about how the trail, and after-trails formed, and how the meteor exploded?

None of the sounds in the videos were sonic booms

Well what were they then??

lol

They were explosions and not sonic booms.
I have grown up near AF Bases

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
@FireballStorm

Jim is quite right. Physical laws govern the ionization process in meteors,

Yes, ionisation. This trail though will be highly conductive, and hence create a current channel to higher altitudes where the electric charge is much higher. As the meteor gets closer to the Earth, the electrical resistance between it and the Earths surface is reduced to a point where discharge will occur. This explains why only small angular pieces remain, as an electric pulse will shatter rock, and that process is used commercially.
The 'smoke' in the trail most likely consists of micron size dust grains from the surface of the object, through the dissociation process, which action is enhanced in the presence of electric double layers, which would be very strong in this case.
That they have been unable to find large pieces in the lake with the hole in it suggests to me that the hole was from an upward discharge that shattered a falling large piece, turning it into the small pieces that are scattered around the area. Electricity and plasma and known scientific principles are the better explanation, IMO.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by weavty1

Originally posted by kloejen

There are several "explosions" heard in many audio sources, after the big boom. It could maybe give an idea about how the trail, and after-trails formed, and how the meteor exploded?

None of the sounds in the videos were sonic booms

Well what were they then??

lol

They were explosions and not sonic booms.
I have grown up near AF Bases

Infrasound was detected.

The shock wave from Friday's (Feb. 15) meteor explosion above Russia sent subsonic waves through the atmosphere halfway around the world.

Up to 11 sensors in Greenland, Africa, Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula and other far-flung regions detected the Russian meteor blast's infrasound, or low-frequency sound waves. The sensors are part of the global network of 60 infrasound stations maintained by the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO).

Infrasound's long wavelengths (about 20 to 0.01 Hertz) can travel far distances in the atmosphere, at frequencies humans can't hear. Elephants, whales and even pigeons use infrasound for communication and navigation, scientists have discovered.

The CTBTO relies on Infrasound arrays to help determine the location and size of atmospheric explosions. Man-made explosions, such as bombs, produce a different infrasound pattern than natural fireballs like shattering meteors.

Based on scrutiny of infrasound records, NASA scientists concluded the fireball released about 300 kilotons of energy, said Bill Cooke, lead for the Meteoroid Environments Office at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

That's about 20 to 25 times more powerful than the atomic bombs dropped in World War II, but still smaller than Siberia's Tunguska meteor explosion in 1908, which released 10 to 15 megatons of energy (equivalent to the Castle Bravo device, the most powerful atomic bomb tested by the United States).

Link to article

Related article:
Russian Meteor Blast's 'Infrasound' Detected Over Vast Distances

edit on 20/2/2013 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
New stunning meteorite (or whatever it was) photos: marateaman.livejournal.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by evilcommunist

Wow, those images are stunning! It's very lucky that that photographer was out and about that morning, hoping to capture some scenic shots of the winter landscape, and ending up capturing this historic event.

By the way, I started a thread in Space Exploration forum, where I hope we can discuss the scientific side of this object and this event. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Thanks for the links mate, however ionised clouds are not my interest and I usually google or wiki very seldom.
Am into cutting edge science and tech, so if those clouds and bangs were caused as a result of exothermic
or endothermic reactions resulting from scalar weapons, i would be interested.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just found this interesting article from Astronomers in Colombia.
They say they have reconstructed the orbit of the meteor that broke up over central Russia, earlier this month.

www.wired.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by evilcommunist
New stunning meteorite (or whatever it was) photos: marateaman.livejournal.com...

It's a solid proof that the UFO that exploded over Chelyabinsk had dual engines. The fact that they never found the object that broke the ice and sank in the lake is explained by that being a small grain of antimatter from the engine core. To it just annihilated.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It seems like a meteorite. But I scratch my head over the following questions:

1) The trail as shown in that photo does look like two braided donuts side by side. Whether the object was round or rectangular and tumbling, why would this pattern of turbulence be at the back end? They remind me of those strange twisted cloud photos posted from Russia awhile back. Spiral Ivans I called them.

2) Hans Amundsen is NASA's expert in Mars meteorites and heading up the Svalbard Expedition. He and the Oslo researchers are examining the meteorite and commented to the media on this meteorite. He was also the lead researcher of the team that revealed the "Lost Continent off the Coast of Africa" recently. Seems like an odd coincidence? Yet, the man is smart.

3) Is this low, so to speak, trajectory of the Russia comet typical? I thought I read that it was visible over 1/4 of the globe. Is this unusual? I wouldn't think so, but wonder what ATS thinks.

Appreciate any feedback
edit on 27-2-2013 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
It's a solid proof that the UFO that exploded over Chelyabinsk had dual engines. The fact that they never found the object that broke the ice and sank in the lake is explained by that being a small grain of antimatter from the engine core. To it just annihilated.

A dual engined craft that was made out of rock? Many meteorites from the breakup of this asteroid have already been found in case you were not aware!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
1) The trail as shown in that photo does look like two braided donuts side by side. Whether the object was round or rectangular and tumbling, why would this pattern of turbulence be at the back end? They remind me of those strange twisted cloud photos posted from Russia awhile back. Spiral Ivans I called them.

Being of uneven shape would explain the double trail. If it was only rotating slowly (perhaps one or less rotations) whilst in our atmosphere, then double trails (although they might well be present along the majority of the trail) would probably only be visible along short section of the trail when viewed from a certain angle.

3) Is this low, so to speak, trajectory of the Russia comet typical?

Firstly, the object was an asteroid, not a comet.

If you mean the angle of entry, it's totally random.

It's all timing - if an asteroid encounters Earth so that it hits slap bang in the middle of the side facing it (like hitting the bull's eye on a dart board), then it will enter at a 90 degree angle that is perpendicular to the ground.

Now if you imagine a second asteroid having the exact same orbit of the first except that it hits Earth at some time after the first, Earth will have moved in the mean time. If that time difference is enough, the asteroid might just graze through Earth's atmosphere, and miss the Earth itself. The angle of entry for a related object would be very low (0-5 degrees perhaps) despite the two objects sharing the same orbits.

So, even objects that are from the same family (in this case Apollo class asteroids) will have different angles of entry depending on chance/timing.

I thought I read that it was visible over 1/4 of the globe. Is this unusual?

Where did you read that? It doesn't sound quite right, although exceptionally bright meteors and fireballs can be visible for getting up to 1000 km in every direction... would that be 1/4 of the world's surface area? I'm not sure, but it sounds like an (at least slightly) exaggerated figure to me.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Scientists and meteorites hunters have been on a quest to find bits of rock from the asteroid exploded over the city of Chelyabinsk in Russia on February 15. More than 100 fragments have been found so far that appear to be from the space rock, and now scientists from Russia's Urals Federal University have discovered the biggest chunk so far, a meteorite fragment weighing more than one kilogram (2.2 lbs). Read more at: phys.org...

phys.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

Originally posted by buddhasystem

A dual engined craft that was made out of rock? Many meteorites from the breakup of this asteroid have already been found in case you were not aware!

You mean broken and melted parts of the craft? Yes, some were found already.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by usaman1983

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

rt.com

A series of explosions in the skies of Russia’s Urals region, reportedly caused by a meteor shower, has sparked panic in three major cities. Witnesses said that houses shuddered, windows were blown out and cellphones stopped working.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/15/2013 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

If you are referring to the recent asteroid 2012 DA14, that passed well within the range in which satellites in orbit are placed, then this has already been shown to be nothing but a coincidence, but I can see how it would look suspicious to those not with any real understanding of astronomy.
The simply fact is that it is very difficult to see an asteroid in space, because during its entry towards the Sun, it is near invisible to our scanners/systems on Earth to make it out and be able to catalogue it, since the angle asteroids fly on do not allow them to be easily seen, but while we had advanced knowledge of DA14, other asteroids, particularly smaller asteroids, like the one that struck Russia on the same day that DA14 flew-by the Earth, had no chance to be seen because of its orbital approach and managed to hit the planet without anyone any the wiser.
It simply was a coincidence that both asteroids' orbits through space happened simultaneously that they would pass very near to Earth. The only distance, is that because of the level of excitement and hype that DA14 was causing to the scientific community here on Earth, no one was prepared or even searching for the second asteroid that hit Russia on the same day that DA14 made its fly-by.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Program i watch last night.....some great footage of the force of the blast though not so sure about the scientist finding small fragments in the snow....seemed a bit far fetched to me. enjoy....hope it works outside of the UK.

www.channel4.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
First close-up photos of the meteorite:

lenta.ru...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

lenta.ru...

Well that is a lot smaller than a bus....LOL!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
not so sure about the scientist finding small fragments in the snow....seemed a bit far fetched to me.

Why farfetched?

As I posted earlier on in the thread there were reports of residents finding small fragments in the snow:

And at first we were looking into confirming these, and actually as time has gone by, more of these stories have turned out to be accurate. I can't vouch for any one in particular but today, for example, we're in a village where there were reports yesterday that people had found small black pebbles in the snow.

And these were holes coated in ice, like an upside down icicle. And if you dig down into these holes you find a small black pebble. And they've found thousands of these in this village. Women would take them out in their kitchens and show you a handful. And now it seems that these are, in fact, meteor shards.

Source: click here to read the rest of the article

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

lenta.ru...

Well that is a lot smaller than a bus....LOL!

Which is exactly what you'd expect if the asteroid exploded at high altitude, as most do:

11. How big are most meteorites, and do they fall as single objects or clusters of objects?

Meteorite finds range in size from particles weighing only a few grams, up to the largest known specimen: the Hoba meteorite, found in South Africa in 1920, and weighing about 60 tons (54,000 kg). As with the magnitude distribution of meteors, the number of meteorites decreases exponentially with increasing size. Thus, the majority of falls will produce only a few scattered kilograms of material, with large meteorites being quite rare.

Meteorites are known to fall as single, discreet objects; as showers of fragments from a meteor which breaks up during the atmospheric portion of its flight; and (rarely) as multiple individual falls. The initial mass and composition of the meteoroid primarily determine its eventual fate, along with its speed and angle of entry into the atmosphere.

Source: The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs

In fact, most of the finds so far have been much smaller fragments than the one in the photograph that evilcommunist posted. See the above post.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Maybe it was a new type of low-flying mock missile which hauls up and emits stones as "proof" of a meteor event. While, at the same time, a shock wave is broadcasted through the good old culprit, HAARP. In any case, more bark than bite, that's alright!

top topics

<< 101  102  103    105 >>

join