It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 103
<< 100  101  102    104  105 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
From the school of thought where, there's no such thing as a coincidence, it does seem odd that most space observation platforms we pointed "the opposite direction", and the implied timing novelty factor.

It's as disturbing, on it's face, as DA 14 was. That's just "on it's face", the other PLAUSIBLE explanations are indeed profound.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox

it does seem odd that most space observation platforms we pointed "the opposite direction"

What do you mean? It's pretty difficult to see something very small and very fast coming from the direction of the Sun. Why do you find it odd that observations are done on the night side of Earth?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Izak4K

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

Originally posted by Izak4K
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

It's a normal one, when something enters the atmosphere it will burn up and the rest will explode.
This is not rocket science.

Lol really, you are trying to teach me rocket science, is it?

Come on, you are missing the point.Tell me something before I start thinking.

Suffice to say that, I know what a exhaust from a liquid fuel engine looks like

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
There are some fundamentally wrong assumptions about meteors being used here as the basis for some wild time-wasting speculations.

Mainly this: claiming that the 'trail' was the result of material from the object. Or 'smoke'. Or dust, or condensation.

Actually, although occasionally tinged with combustion products, the main white trail of fireball meteors actually is ionized atmospheric constituents. Torn-apart oxygen and nitrogen molecules, ionized by the extreme heat of the compressive shock wave

So naturally the trail can wax and wane and vanish purely as a function of the quickly varying speed and area of the entering object.

Nothing better illustrates this than the space shuttle, which left magnificent trails across the night skies of Texas on many entries to Florida landings in the 1980s and 1990s, and of course, sadly, over East Texas on February 1, 2003. With my family, I observed more than half a dozen such overflights with my own eyes.

And it left these trails without losing ANY material, NO chemical or dust or smoke coming off. JUST tearing apart the atmosphere as it passed, leaving a white trail that gradually dissipated over a period of minutes as the atoms rejoined into N2 and O2 molecules.

JUST LIKE over Chelyabinsk.

See a compilation of eyewitness descriptions of such a space shuttle entry, here:
www.jamesoberg.com...

I hope this helps attain a proper understanding of, and interpretation of, the Chelyabinsk meteor trail and its implications.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

So since when did the ionised oxygen and nitrogen started becoming visible,
even if it is plasma you are referring to.
The shuttle on the other hand may leave visible wingtip vortices, which are
primarily like water vapour clouds

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

reply to post by JimOberg

So since when did the ionised oxygen and nitrogen started becoming visible,
even if it is plasma you are referring to.
The shuttle on the other hand may leave visible wingtip vortices, which are
primarily like water vapour clouds

Since forever, sorry you didn't have the chance to view it yourself, it was spectacular. And illuminating.

The first night reentry flyover of Texas was STS-11 in 1984 or so, and there were about a dozen in all before most flights shifted to more north-south orbits and came in across Yucatan instead [freaking out the locals there, with OVNI attacks]. In the end, only the Hubble missions -- and STS-107 -- were in lower inclination orbits, and only rarely were at night anyway -- so the last one I recall seeing was in the mid-1990s.

Of course, we'd see them in orbit all the time, sunlit bright white dots, sometimes chasing Mir or the ISS. No fireballing then, fortunately.

Weirdest ever was the tether on STS-75, we could SEE the 12-mile long line, a thin thread crossing the sky below the small satellite it was still attached to.

The visible wingtip vortices you refer to are humidity condensation effects in the shocked air, that's a familiar phenomenon in thicj atmosphere. The ionization effect occurs wa-a-a-a-ay above all of that, 20 - 30 km or higher.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

yes most Russians drive with cameras for insurance- due to the number of crashes and drivers taking off to avoid penalties this is a way of defending a claim
also great for when something like this happens though and can be caught when no one is prepared for it

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Anyone else hear this? I know it's Fox but now i'm wondering how big exactly this thing was~

www.foxnews.com...

Russian meteorite 1,000 times bigger than originally thought

It turns out the meteor that landed in Russia last week was a bit bigger than the 10 tons first reported. About 1,000 times bigger

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
update -- on an astronomy forum my comment on the 'contrail' has been modified -- there IS dust in the trail, more or less depending on where the object is disintegrating. The dusty part can linger for hours, and photos of it show the dust. The spectacular swirling clouds which fade within 5-10 minutes tend to be the ionized clouds.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
From this video it looks like someone shot a missile at the meteor?

(Beware cheesy soundtrack music)

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Jim is quite right. Physical laws govern the ionization process in meteors, so unless the laws of physics had suddenly changed without anyone noticing, the same process has always occurred.

Here are a few links to papers on the subject if you are interested:

Meteor ionization and the mass of meteoroids
Meteor Ionization and its Dependence on Velocity
Meteor-Trail Ionization Theory. IV. Ionization Efficiency through Collision of Vaporized Meteoroid Particles with Air Molecules

Or if you don't like the look of those, try this google search for many more on the subject of meteor ionization.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The 2013 Russian "meteorite rush"

It's started...

Russians Wade Into the Snow to Seek Treasure From the Sky

DEPUTATSKOYE, Russia — Ever since the meteor exploded somewhere over this impoverished Siberian town, Larisa V. Briyukova wondered what to do with the fist-size stone she found under a hole in the roof tiles of her woodshed.

On Monday, a stranger knocked on her door, offering about $60, Ms. Briyukova said. After some haggling, they settled on a price of $230. A few hours later, another man pulled up, looked at the hole in the roof and offered $1,300.

“Now I regret selling it,” said Ms. Briyukova, a 43-year-old homemaker. “But then, who knows? The police might have come and taken it away anyway.”

On Friday, terror rained from the skies, blowing out windows and scaring people over an enormous swath of Siberia. But by Monday, for many people what fell from the sky had turned to pure gold, and it touched off a rush to retrieve the fragments, many buried in deep February snows.

Many of those out prospecting looked a lot like Sasha Zarezina, 8, who happily plunged into a snowbank here in this village of a thousand, laughing, kicking and throwing up plumes of powdery snow.

Then she stopped, bent over and started to dig. “I found one!” she yelled.

A warm breath and a rub on her pants later, a small black pebble, oval like a river rock, charred and smooth, was freed of ice.

While trade in material from meteorites is largely illegal, there is a flourishing global market, with fragments widely available for sale on the Internet, usually at modest prices. At least one from the recent meteor was available on eBay on Monday for $32, and there is a Web site called Star-bits.com devoted to the trade — much to the displeasure of scientists and the countries where the objects were found.

Source: click here to continue reading the article

Well, you drive down a street and you see one building with four or five windows broken, another with a few windows, and then one building where almost an entire façade is shattered, quite violently. And this is something of a mystery, at first, why it happened this way.

But apparently the shock wave from this meteor didn't move through the city evenly. It ricocheted off buildings and concentrated in some places more than in others. And there've been many mysterious instances - people reporting that vases have cracked in their houses.

And at first we were looking into confirming these, and actually as time has gone by, more of these stories have turned out to be accurate. I can't vouch for any one in particular but today, for example, we're in a village where there were reports yesterday that people had found small black pebbles in the snow.

And these were holes coated in ice, like an upside down icicle. And if you dig down into these holes you find a small black pebble. And they've found thousands of these in this village. Women would take them out in their kitchens and show you a handful. And now it seems that these are, in fact, meteor shards.

Source: click here to read the rest of the article

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Would it be possible to reconstruct some of the event visually, from the sonic boom's heard?

There were several sources. If you know the locations of each sound source, one could place these in a digital 3d-environment. Analyzing the audio from every location to work out a model, resulting in a way to reverse the sound back in time, giving an estimate on what happened. Maybe some elaborate technique combining video/light and sound?

This would probably need crucial timing to reconstruct, and since most camera/phones do save a time-stamp on video/audio-files, its probably too unpredictable?
Unless you use computers, which can run thru the scenario billions of times, brute forcing all the possible audio delays, searching for the exact same echo/reverberation, where the sound match up?
Afterall, it's possible to calculate the big bang, a billionth of a second after the theoretical event ;-)

There are several "explosions" heard in many audio sources, after the big boom. It could maybe give an idea about how the trail, and after-trails formed, and how the meteor exploded?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Has anyone read this ?
I can't find English version yet.

"20 Il-76s landed on Shagol Airport in Chelyabinsk yesterday. They are saying 500 troops, and 600 vehicles. Immediate training deployment, unrelated to meteor crash".

Link (in Russian)
Video
Youtube
edit on 19-2-2013 by kaskad because: added another link

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kloejen

There are several "explosions" heard in many audio sources, after the big boom. It could maybe give an idea about how the trail, and after-trails formed, and how the meteor exploded?

None of the sounds in the videos were sonic booms

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kaskad

Lol are they expecting some sort of an invasion.
Interesting nonetheless

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
BW Did they find remnats of the metheorite in the factory ?

I haven't heard anything by now.

SNC
edit on 2/20/2013 by snc24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I meant that everyone was looking at the asteroid, while the meteorite hit.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kloejen

None of the sounds in the videos were sonic booms

Well what were they then??

lol

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

c'mon Phage, you should know that the SOHO satellites have

multiple spectrum filters, gather particle data, and

track multiple objects in sol's direction quite well. Ground based

telescopes of course vary...from the SOHO wikipedia entry

"As a consequence of its observing the Sun, SOHO (specifically the LASCO instrument) has inadvertently allowed the discovery of comets by blocking out the Sun's glare. Approximately one-half of all known comets have been spotted by SOHO, discovered over the last 15 years by over 70 people representing 18 different countries searching through the publicly available SOHO images online. Michał Kusiak of the Polish Jagiellonian University (Uniwersytet Jagielloński) discovered SOHO's 1999th and 2000th comets on 26 December 2010. As of 2013, SOHO has discovered over 2400 comets, with an average discovery rate of every 2.59 days.
Amateur astronomer Mike Oates' discovery of over 140 comets in the SOHO data resulted in the minor planet "68948 Mikeoates" being named after him; this was used by lexicographer Erin McKean in her TED talk as an example of how Internet users can contribute to collections."

yes, the ref was not about SOHO satellites, but SOHO is an amazing asset for cometary research....and

comets are travelers just like the rest.
edit on 2/20/2013 by drphilxr because: a bit more

edit on 2/20/2013 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/20/2013 by drphilxr because: removed junk

new topics

top topics

<< 100  101  102    104  105 >>

join