It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 100
<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I wonder how hot it was when it hit the lake. The hotter it was the more it would fragment and temperature there was below zero you can see it the pictures where ice I beginning to form. The hole is 20 ft. wide. It isn’t that deep so there isn’t much risk diving that depth but the temperature even with the suits would make it hard to move. I hate diving in even cool water I would hate that there. 0 visibility and 5ft of mud on the bottom it is no wonder they didn’t find anything. It’s hard for me to find anything at night when I wake up.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
Given the track record of the area and lack of honesty from the government, it adds even more to conspiracy theories. It isn't a surprise that the locals neither trust nor believe their government and suspect there was military involvement.

I won't vouch for the honesty of the Russian government. At the same time, I'm willing to bet all of my life's possessions that the Russian military wouldn't test a 300kT TNT equivalent nuke over a major population center, which also just happens to be the heart of the Russian defense industry. Speaking of shooting yourself in the foot.
So I'm writing off this idea as extremely stupid.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Given the track record of the area and lack of honesty from the government, it adds even more to conspiracy theories. It isn't a surprise that the locals neither trust nor believe their government and suspect there was military involvement.

I won't vouch for the honesty of the Russian government. At the same time, I'm willing to bet all of my life's possessions that the Russian military wouldn't test a 300kT TNT equivalent nuke over a major population center, which also just happens to be the heart of the Russian defense industry. Speaking of shooting yourself in the foot.

They have done exactly that in the past, just like the others, and then monitored radiation effects on population.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The same population that they expose to unsafe levels of radiation daily and those they had work in their 'secret from the world' for 40 years nuclear complex that had many disasters killing many and irradiating more than 400,000 in 45 years.

The same population that has dashboard cameras because of police corruption?

The same population who's women wrote to the UN asking for help because of their children being born deformed and people dying of radiation poisoning.

Are we talking about the same government.

Just to clarify, I never said they let a nuke explode overhead, you suggested it. I said I wouldn't be surprised if there was military involvement.

I have posted many quotes and links about this area and their treatment, please read them, they are very informative.

This comment isn't directed directly at you, but it is extraordinary how some people choose ignoring the elephant in the room.

This 'meteor' 'landed / exploded' on / above somewhere that scientists have called ''the most polluted spot on earth''. It has been 'hit' twice by meteors and the stats are extraordinary to say the least for many aspects of this event.

www.wentz.net...

A report on the health of the people living on the banks of the Techa River was published in 1991, which showed that the incidence of leukemia increased by 41% since 1950. From 1980 to 1990, all cancers in this population rose by 21% and all diseases of the circulatory system rose by 31%. These figures are probably gross under-estimations, because local physicians were instructed to limit the number of death certificates they issued with diagnosis of cancer and other radiation-related illnesses. According to Gulfarida Galimova, a local doctor who has been keeping records in lieu of official statistics, the average life span for women in Muslyumovo in 1993 was 47, compared to the country average of 72. The average life span of Muslyumovo men was 45 compared to 69 for the entire country.

Chelyabinsk regional hospitals were not allowed to treat the villagers and they were sent to the Ural Centre for Radiation Medicine. The medical data of the UCRM was classified until 1990. Records of the UCRM chart the decline in health of 28,000 people along the Techa and all of them are classed as seriously irradiated. Since the 1960s, these people have been examined regularly by public health officials.

According to the head of the UCRM clinical department the rate of leukemia has doubled in the last two decades. Skin cancers have quadrupled over the last 33 years. The total number of people suffering from cancer has risen by 21%. The number of people suffering from vascular diseases has risen 31%. Birth defects have increased by 25%. Kosenko carried out a small epidemiological study of 100 people selected at random. From this group 96% had at least five chronic diseases (heart diseases, high blood pressure, arthritis and asthma), 30% had as many as ten chronic conditions. Local doctors estimate that half the men and women at child bearing age are sterile.

Even today, the local population still does not know the actual levels of radioisotopes in its home grown products. German scientists who did a field study in Muslumova in 1996 have measured some food samples in the villages and found astonishing levels of radioactivity, 17,000 becquerrel per kg in fish, and 8,000 per kg in vegetables (in Europe, products with more than 600 bequerrel are taken off the market). Only since 1989, the villagers have started to get information about the dangers of the radioactive contamination of their river.

edit on 17-2-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Now I understand the origins of the Chinese dragon and fire crackers better. If you lived a thousand years ago and saw a meteor streaking over head like the one in Russia and heard the sonic booms? Another "hand me down" tale confused over time as to origins and meaning? What do people from that culture think of the Dragon Dance?

Chinese Dragon and comets

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Here's the quote.

Another poster posted the link saying the hole was from something else, it was from the Russian authorities, I think.

www.latimes.com...

At a news conference Friday, NASA scientists said the object that exploded over Russia was a “tiny asteroid” that measured roughly 45 feet across, weighed about 10,000 tons and traveled about 40,000 mph.

The object vaporized roughly 15 miles above the surface of the Earth, causing a shock wave that triggered the global network of listening devices that was established to detect nuclear test explosions.

The force of the explosion measured between 300 and 500 kilotons, equivalent to a modern nuclear bomb, according to Bill Cooke, head of the Meteoroid Environment Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

“When you hear about injuries, those are undoubtedly due to the events of the shock striking the city and causing walls to collapse and glass to fly, not due to fragments striking the ground,” Cooke said.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I wonder how hot it was when it hit the lake.

Firstly, I'm not convinced anything did hit the lake. From past experience of events where a fireball has been thought to have dropped meteorites, and there have been searches made of the areas where the meteorites were presumed to have fallen, the searches have often been fruitless. It's more likely that any meteorites would be found on the frozen surface of the lake, but so far as I can tell, nothing has been found.

Secondly, it's actually a common misconception that meteorites reach the ground "hot". It was determined in this case that the lowest point at which the meteor was luminous was at about 7km altitude. This indicates that the meteor was significantly slowed down by the atmosphere, since it's the velocity that makes it luminous, and is also responsible for ablating the surface of the meteoroid. So the heating of the meteoroid would also have stopped at this point, and the meteoroid, having been whittled away by ablation (which also removes large amounts of heat from the meteoroid) would be rapidly slowed down.

At 7km altitude the air is very cold (even at 30,000 feet it's around -30 deg. C), and it would have taken at least a minute or two to reach the ground, during which time most (if not all) of the remaining heat would have been lost.

In fact, thanks to the ablation, which strips heat from the meteoroid along with the material (meaning only the outer layers get hot), the meteoroid will never get heated up all the way through, and most likely (depending on size) the inner core of the meteoroid will remain freezing cold, even during the luminous (meteor) part of its flight.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Because I never gave it much thought until yesterday when the difference between a meteor and asteroid was pointed out ....would someone please explain this to me?

If a meteor is an asteroid.....and an asteroid is just a rock tumbling through space, when/how does this rock become a fireball?

I mean let's take Phobos. This is a 'satellite' of Mars but for all intents and purposes it's an asteroid, no? Now if this cold dead rock leaves the orbit of Mars for some reason and goes whizzing through space, at what point does it heat up and grow a tail?

I always assumed an asteroid was akin to a comet so can someone break this down for me? Thanks

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You could be right there. The Chinese were avid astronomers/observers of the sky, and there are many records of ancient meteor showers thanks to them. They invariably say "the stars fell like rain".

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath

They have done exactly that in the past, just like the others, and then monitored radiation effects on population.

How come you didn't post a link? Please show a link where the Russian military exploded a 300kT nuke over a large city. Otherwise, eat your socks or something.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

It's quite simple really.

A meteor is the light we see when an object like an asteroid or meteoroid enters the atmosphere.

The high velocity impacts with air molecules literally make the air (technically it's now known as plasma) glow, and that light is what we call a meteor or fireball, which is just a brighter than normal meteor.

The word meteorite is used if/when anything makes it down to the ground.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath

How come you didn't post a link? Please show a link where the Russian military exploded a 300kT nuke over a large city. Otherwise, eat your socks or something.

Oh, sure, Soviet government posted it all on the Pravda site

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think all this talk of it being "a meteorite" is a bit much. There is no proof at all that is a meteor. The MSM is fooling a lot people right now. All the evidence we have point to this being a Reptilian attack. First the shape shifting Dorner drone being burned alive, then the Reptilian armada moving closer to Earth hidden by a passing comet, then their warning shot at our planet. I wish the MSM would report the truth to us, we need to be prepared for the Reptilian imperial forces

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lolwuttermelons

Are you being serious or was this posted as a sarcastic joke?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm
reply to post by Human_Alien

It's quite simple really.

A meteor is the light we see when an object like an asteroid or meteoroid enters the atmosphere.

The high velocity impacts with air molecules literally make the air (technically it's now known as plasma) glow, and that light is what we call a meteor or fireball, which is just a brighter than normal meteor.

The word meteorite is used if/when anything makes it down to the ground.

So where are the asteroids-turn-meteors that bombarded the Moon (seeing that doesn't have an atmosphere?). They should be embedded or laying on the surface seeing they didn't disintegrate from an ultraviolet atmosphere.
I am thoroughly confused.

I can understand the dynamics when it comes to entering Earths atmosphere but the same principle can't apply to other bodies and yet...........it does!?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well it is highly possible that the flashes of light could be solar flares because of how hot the metor is but I'm not entirely sure. But there has been some 1000 injuries and what I really want to know is that if the metor was radioactive?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lolwuttermelons
I think all this talk of it being "a meteorite" is a bit much. There is no proof at all that is a meteor. The MSM is fooling a lot people right now. All the evidence we have point to this being a Reptilian attack. First the shape shifting Dorner drone being burned alive, then the Reptilian armada moving closer to Earth hidden by a passing comet, then their warning shot at our planet. I wish the MSM would report the truth to us, we need to be prepared for the Reptilian imperial forces

I think we can safely deduce this being a meteor seeing a 'meteor' is anything passing through space which then gets pulled into our atmosphere and heats up (IF....I got this correctly).

It then becomes a meteorite only if it impacts Earth. So whose to say WHAT this originally was. But...by the time we saw it on video, it was technically a meteor. Right?
Funny how no pieces have been found yet unless I missed the discovery today.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

OK just making sure. So far there is no confirmation that the meteor didn’t hit the lake in fact the articles I posted say they are going to search the lake in spring. Searching in subzero water 30+ feet down with zero visibility and five foot of mud and silt cannot be easy. I have dove in waters where the floor bed had 2 ft. of silt and mud and it is more like muck quick sand.

The fragments are down there but waiting for the weather and water temp to rise is the smart thing to do IMO. You can get hypothermia in warm water even I have seen it happen with people in the tropics. The rocks are not going anywhere and Russia has closed the area off from meteor hunters.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
So where are the asteroids-turn-meteors that bombarded the Moon (seeing that doesn't have an atmosphere?). They should be embedded or laying on the surface seeing they didn't disintegrate from an ultraviolet atmosphere.
I am thoroughly confused.

I can understand the dynamics when it comes to entering Earths atmosphere but the same principle can't apply to other bodies and yet...........it does!?

I'm not 100% sure myself on this one, but since there is little or no atmosphere on Moon, there will be no "meteor" phase. Meteoroids simply slam into the Moon's surface without producing any light before the impact.

At the speeds meteoroids are going, when they impact the Moon's surface, they are instantaneously vaporized, along with some of the Moon, which creates a crater. I don't think any would end up embedded (but I could be wrong), and they certainly would not just end up sitting on the surface as many do here on Earth.

All the principals still apply, but you have to take into account the characteristics of the body that is being impacted.

Does that clarify it a bit?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
They should be embedded or laying on the surface seeing they didn't disintegrate from an ultraviolet atmosphere.

What is "ultraviolet atmosphere"?

top topics

<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join