It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sign of The Stormtrooper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The Sign of The Dancing Stormtrooper

UGA Men's Swim and Dive Team. Harlem Shake. Posted Feb 11, 2013. Currently at over 4 million hits

In the beginning, there was Stormhumper...

No one knew where he came from, or what his purpose was. That was in 2004.

In March of 2007, YouTube user, lazermatt, added his own special touch to Stromhumper. His video currently has just shy of 51 million (!) hits and is the 56th most discussed video ever on YouTube.

Then, hot on the heels of lazermatt's stunning display of creativity, Danny Choo took it to the streets...

As you can see, people were catching on, Dancing Stormtrooper seemed to be finding an international home in people's hearts. Many variations have followed from Choo and others...

2007, over 5 million hits

2012 and nearly 1 million hits, and very funny at times

Dancing Stormtrooper is consdiered to be a sort of meme.
A meme can be thought of as a nugget (packet) of cultural information that is wrapped up in a saying, or a gesture, or a silly imitation. Dancing Stormtrooper is also a sign, in the sense that he, as a symbol, contains much more content and flexibility of cultural context, than is superficially apparent. The key is that a meme can be mimicked by others and so passed along, usually as a sign of some sort.

Memes are likened to viruses, and are thought to be subject to all of the same hazards faced by any living thing competeing to survive: they grow, change, and can die, and especially they evolve. They cross cultural boundaries. We have an excellent example of a meme in Dancing Stormtrooper. When I stop to consider the combined cultural content that must be contained within the DS meme, my mind reels, but I do it with a silly grin on my face.

I believe in signs and wonders, ATS, and I think that Dancing Stormtrooper is a sign that is trying to tell us something. A cultural signal, from us to ourselves. Dancing Stormtrooper makes you smile, and makes a connection with you, which seems to me was the simple intent of the original .gif. Is Dancing Stormtrooper, and are stormtroopers in general, like the new Mickey Mouse? Disney seems to think so, I have seen kids hug stormtroopers, I think I did, when I was little.

Maybe, it's because the world is shrinking and we are finding that we are all very much alike and trapped in very similar circumstances. Maybe it's because Dancing Stormtrooper says, “Hey, look at me, I'm a clone trapped in an automated world with no other fate or future than to fulfill my programming, but hey, I can dance!” “And you can dance with me”.

And maybe it's because it seems like Dancing Stormtrooper, is pulling a fast one on Darth Vader.

What do you think, ATS?

Do you dance with The Stormtrooper?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I dont know about a sign but I enjoyed the show

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Oh, it's a sign alright...a sign of continuing social and intellectual decay when 'Stormhumper' or 'Gagnam' get the attention they do.

Another thread claims a 24% illiteracy rate in the US...go figure!

/grumpy

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I dont usually hand then out but s&f for the smile and laugh at the end of an otherwise dreary day
Thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xquietonex

a sign of continuing social and intellectual decay when 'Stormhumper' or 'Gagnam' get the attention they do.

I find that there seems to be a lot more to be had from looking at the way that these evolving social artifact connect us, rather that separate us and indicate decay. What you are seeing there is life; it's people being creative with the tools for communication they have at their disposal.

I hated Gangnam-whatever, too, but how much more did we learn once it was fully processed by society?
edit on 15-2-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

for the smile and laugh at the end of an otherwise dreary day Thanks

You, sir, are welcome.

Have a lovely evening.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I hear ya, sorry...having a bit of an off day

I didn't learn anything from Gagnam once we 'processed' it to, I don't quite get what you mean? As far as I'm concerned it was an overused meme, but I was shocked how many people were caught by it.

Macarena also springs to mind...the social aspect is intriguing.

Good vid all the same, taking life too seriously these days, I guess

new topics

top topics

join