It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eurofighters at Langley AFB for joint training with the F-22s

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwtrucker
Here's a thought, when LM is ready, have the French, the Euros, the russians and the Americans bring their toys and have a shoot-off.

Everyone displays the required abilities the best they can and decide based on performance, cost and longevity.

No more hype/airshow displays like a fashion show.

Where the rubber meets the road decides it.....
edit on 23-2-2013 by nwtrucker because: spelling error

just because something is designed to win competitions does not make it the best............

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Hmm, maybe not. But it would be closer than "air displays" at Paris. "Competion" is what these platforms are about, I would guess.

There'd have to be enough variety/scenarios to fully explore the potentials of each, still ...naw... then what would we argue about??? Forget it...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They key phrase there is

"Without a helmet, that means the missile will need a very tight cue from somewhere,"

The F-22 can still receive targeting data via BACN/Link-16/IFDL/etc.

While I agree the F-22 may not be using the -9X to its FULL potential, it is still easily an improvement over the -9M and the most capable system out there.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Pants3204

And the pilots agree. They just want to be able to take full advantage of the missile. As the pilot states, they can get target info from another source, but you can't always take advantage of that in combat. If you're in a furball, your wingman might be too busy to help out, or there might be no one in position to see the one you are shooting at. A helmet mounted sight would make you independent of another aircraft for target info.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

It looks like the raptor demo team will be up my way in August. Just across the border from where I live is the Abottsford Int'l Airshow, this year Aug.9 thru 11th. Really looking foreward to it.

It used to be a monster airshow back in the day. Budgets cuts in all the militaries are slowly killing a lot of the non-military base air shows.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

A lot of them are getting cut. The Navy is even talking about at least temporarily disbanding the Blue Angels after sequestration takes effect (which is stupid because that will cost more than leaving them intact).

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

A lot of them are getting cut. The Navy is even talking about at least temporarily disbanding the Blue Angels after sequestration takes effect (which is stupid because that will cost more than leaving them intact).

It's usual logic with government budget cuts---always loudly cut the most public and desired symbol first (and cut the least defensible waste last).

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

Judging by the crowds at the Avalon show in Australia, that one isn't going away soon.

I'm wondering if any of our members from down under have gotten to see the show this year and their opinions of the Raptor display.

It must have caused some effect. There's a bunch of new vids on You Tube fron this year's Avalon show re the F-22.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Here's a great shot of the British Typhoon with the F-22s. (Scroll down to the second picture on the screen.)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I'd say that I dealt with that KC-10 a few times, but we handled every one of them at one point or another.
Nice picture though.

I got to see the Tornado GR.4s at Nellis, and some F-22s, but missed the Typhoons that day. I was supposed to be back there for four days (parked at the Petro right outside the Vegas Motorspeedway, which is right next to Nellis), but as usual, I couldn't get there (no freight to there). So instead, I'm hoping for an F-35 sighting in Ft. Worth.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I know that Petro well.LOL. Close enough to intrigue, far enough to frustrate.

No damn truck stops in Ft. Worth worth mentioning....
edit on 11-3-2013 by nwtrucker because: spelling error

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Oh, I found the one that is pure bliss. It's a Petro, so it has Iron Skillet, but it has a Popeye's in it too, and a Jack in the Box across the street.
We're only 22 miles from Lockheed, so I might get to see an F-35 by Friday morning.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Yep, only Petro with a smoking section in the restaruant....or at least it used to be there...

The food is decent as well. Popeye's??/ jack in the box?? I'd rather eat MREs...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Oh I used to love Jack in the Crack. Have only had it a few times since 2006. My other half loves chicken, so Popeye's is perfect for her.

Hey, had some neat sightings in Yuma the other day getting loaded. Four F-5s and a V-22 (first one for me) went overhead going into the MCAS there.
edit on 3/11/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Wow!! F-5s?? I didn't know we still had em! Trainers?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Aggressors. The Navy uses them for Top Gun still. The Navy has 30, the Marines 11, and there are three F-5F two seat versions still flying.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Really?? I understood they closed the top Gun center in San Diego years ago. Did they just move it and continue the program elsewhere?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

It went from NAS Miramar, which became MCAS Miramar to NAS Fallon in Nevada.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Zaph, I just saw that the Indian AF is participating in Red flag 2013.

I'd assume it would be the SU-30MKIs again. That would give the Raptors AND the Typhoons a good "look-see".

I don't think the Eurofighter has been exposed to the SU yet. The question is is it the 2012-3 version or are they making appearances at different times?

You have anything on this?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I know 13-3 just ended, it had GR4s (I saw them) and Typhoons (missed them). When I looked the other day, the lineup for 13-4 and beyond hasn't been released yet. They'll probably be at 13-4, which is July 15-26.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join