Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This woman always gives me bad vibes.
She is so full of herself and not knowing how clueless she is. She's like; just listen to me; because I know! ''I know'', I know better than everyone else! so get on my side! Just watch my smile, i'm so pretty! Not knowing how wrong and ugly she really is (inside & outside).

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Every time you think Congress has finally hit rock bottom, they find a way to sink to a new low! Useless pigs.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Initially, when looking again at the 17th Amendment, I had that kind of knee jerk response of "oh but we're having enough issues with Congress representing us--why take away senators?". However, I think it may very well be one of the fundamental flaws within the checks and balances. Senators were never intended to be swayed by faction and hence their positioning through the state legislature. That made them beholden to the state, itself, through their whole maintaining of their position. If they didn't act in the best interest of the state, as a whole, they wouldn't be re-elected. Opening them up to a populous vote basically allowed them to become prone to the very things that representatives were prone to--listening to faction. In the case that we have today, faction isn't just an angry crowd with pitchforks and signs--faction could also include money really as the reliance on gaining populous votes through campaigning would necessitate it. With a public that is, ultimately, able to be swayed and manipulated adroitly by large consolidated media interests, then it what do they have to fear in regards to their re-elections?

Also doesn't help matters that, frequently, elections are won by only 20-25% of the voting population on a good voter turnout day.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

There's a petition to reduce pay for the lot of them up in the whitehouse dot gov site. I saw the link on my evil Facebook feed.

wh.gov...

It probably won't get anywhere near the required number to go public, let alone the 100k to get answered.

Anyway just throwing this out there.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Its comforting to see the general resentment here over Nancey's callus statement. She may as well refer to the constituents as her personal surfs. Our government is outwardly looking more and more like the crooks I have long known they were.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I know $150,000++ a year is too high. I thought public service was what they wanted not prestige or power, they want to represent the people!! I thought it was an honor to be a representative and not a place of prestige! Pelosi and Feinstein, along with countless others need to be removed and replaced with a representative who will uphold the constitution and actually care/ represent the people!!! Schumer has even been quoted as saying that he doesn't care what the constitution says, its what law makers say, that counts!!!

They shouldn't get more than $50,000 a year, considering they have all their expenses paid for by tax payers. Why is it that Pelosi and others can keep their positions....OH YEAH! there rich to begin with, how can they care about the poor and middle class when they are the 2%, even OBAMA is rich beyond words and he didn't work to get rich, he wrote books.

It should be a place of public service but of course you need millions just to be able to run for office. The common person cannot even try to run, it's a rich person's game to begin with!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
NOW you understand why they said everyone under 250,000 dollars is middle class and she argued the fact and it was changed, Politians are protecting there own assssets..... not ours. reminds me of a joke that was going around. So here it is

A driver was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway outside Washington, DC.

Nothing was moving.

Suddenly, a man knocks on the _

The driver rolls down the window and asks, "What's going on?"

"Terrorists have kidnapped the entire US Congress, and they're asking for a

$100 million dollar ransom. Otherwise, they are going to douse them all in

gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from car to car, collecting

donations."

"How much is everyone giving, on average?" the driver asks.

The man replies, "Roughly a gallon."

Shows how much we really care about politians......

edit on 15-2-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Pelsoi you are a millionaire, and so are most congressman.

If they are not when they get the job they are after all the insider trading and kickbacks start rolling in. I doubt there is a Congressman or Senator who has purchased his own diner since their election. No need for money when people are waiting in line 20 deep to buy you a $300.00 steak dinner every night.

My personal favorite is Roy Blunt (R-MO) - I am watching his investment savvy.

I have written his staff asking for his secret on how to turn 379,000 dollars in net worth (what he had at the start of his term) into a little over 1 million in one 6 year Senate term.

I asked if he could use his personal plan for the SS Trust fund - strangely I have received no answer. He will not be getting my vote. Hopefully, he will lose in the primary. He is a thief...period.

These people all sell out - I suppose there are a few Mr. Smiths out there (for those of us old enough to have watched Jimmy Stewart reruns) who go to Washington with the best of intentions. I doubt they last long.

I think the only cure for this is term limits and making lobbying carry the same as penalty as bribery; I mean in effect it is just legalized bribery.

Pay a politician for political favor and go to jail. Incorporate and donate to his campaign for political favor, take him to diner in a 3,000 suit and it’s not bribery its lobbying? Go figure.

Then again who expects anything less when they are the ones who write the laws - of course they are not going to legislate themselves out of a job (term limits) or legislate themselves out of kickbacks and favors.

Power corrupts - period.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
Not only should their pay be cut, their pay should be removed until they start doing the job they were elected to do. If I went in to do a spreadsheet, and goofed off for 5 years, well...I wouldn't have had a job after probably the first day.

Cut their pay? Not enough. Not by a long shot.

These miscreants are aiding and abetting ..... no ..... colluding with Wall Street in massive world-wide fraud. Since they refuse to prosecute the criminal trash responsible, we should be prosecuting these politicians. All of them. House, senate and the executive. We can start with racketeering charges and take every damn dime they own. Then it's time for some prison time.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

It is the very reason that the Senate has become more powerful than they were intended to be, all at the behest and bemoaning about "empty" seats (pre-17th because of political posturing and bickering). Which brings me to another point -- that is a good thing because when you have posturing it means silly nonsense bills do not get legislated.

There is no easy "fix" and surely you have made some excellent points. In the gutter approval rating for Congress, yet only 40%-ish of the country actually participates in politics (elections)....sad really and don't get me started on party politics...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Note to Pelosi: Congressional pay undermines dignity of the citizens of the United States.
Follow your oath and do your job or gtfo.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
These people all sell out - I suppose there are a few Mr. Smiths out there (for those of us old enough to have watched Jimmy Stewart reruns) who go to Washington with the best of intentions. I doubt they last long.
Ah good reference! It is quite true. Each of us here would probably have the best intentions only to realize that we would be relegated to nothingness and have no "real" power; no committee seat means no power; which is sad. Just look at how McConnell and Boehner reacted to members who stood against them, they were threatened with removal of their committee seats...that isn't politics or statesmanship; that is as you said, corrupted power.

I think the only cure for this is term limits and making lobbying carry the same as penalty as bribery; I mean in effect it is just legalized bribery.

Term limits are already in place and the People fail to utilize them. So you suggest to take more political power away from the People only to lead to 2-termers ramming nonsense through...."term-limits" won't fix it. Lobbying falls under the 1st Amendment and while I despise how our pols accept money for favors, you cannot take away recourse.

If more people actually started to care, we, the People, are effectively the largest lobbying group in the United States but we fail to actually lobby.

Pay a politician for political favor and go to jail. Incorporate and donate to his campaign for political favor, take him to diner in a 3,000 suit and it’s not bribery its lobbying? Go figure.
Agreed on the loop-holes regarding this though. Strict limits on how money is used to voice an opinion is tricky though.

Power corrupts - period.

Completely agreed.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The ugly frog faced liar Pelosi could not even run a successful hot dog cart in down town San FransickO. This nutcase is a complete puke bag, and as corrupt as they come.

Come to think of it, Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein should all go bowling together, and then afterwards all jump off the Golden Gate Bridge head first. I would throw a party the next day. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

I think we'll need something a bit bigger

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
This just proves what they are in politics for. It is all about the money money money

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bri6844
The dignity of her job!
Really

What exactly does congress actually get accomplished today? It seems all they
do is fight and argue like children while the rest of America suffers.

The minimum wage worker has a thousand more times the amount of dignity than she has!

Well to be fair now......

Spending your days twirling in an office chair like a sit-n-spin, throwing darts at a map on a wall to find a next target for the next drone strike and planning for your 12 vacations a year has to be absolutely "exhausting work".

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
This notion of "full time" Congress is relative new and is perpetuated on a very sophisticated campaign of fear and general knowledge of an overly idiotic and apathetic populace towards political involvement. World War I and World War II were the harbinger of the current day "long-sessions" we see in Congress, in which they legislate nearly year round.

It is pathetic and feeds corruption.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
What a perfect example of a cow, I'd say she needs to be put to pasture along with the rest of the herd. Getting nothing accomplished usually gets someone unemployed, funny how that does not apply to the royalty.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
All Federal employees have been on a pay freeze for a few years now, and now they are seriously talking about furloughs. For those who are unaware of what a furlough is, it is a period of time where government employees are in an unpaid status. They do this to save money, although a budget hasn't been passed in 5 years, so how do they even know what they have or what they will save? This is a slap in the face to regular gov't employees, not to mention the pay increase that Obama gave the VP a few weeks ago. Not all gov't employees are high paid bureaucrats... a lot of them in the federal wage grade system make between $10 - $20 an hour. I guess those people don't deserve the "dignity" of their respective jobs.
edit on 14-2-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

I work at a Veteran's hospital and I can verify the above ^^^ statement. Also the Govt may start cutting jobs as well. All of which are around $10-$20 per hour jobs. To me this is just further destruction of the middle class. The govt wants us to either be poor and dependant on them or rich so they can suckle more tax dollars up to pay for wars and line their own pockets.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkphoenix77
What a perfect example of a cow, I'd say she needs to be put to pasture along with the rest of the herd. Getting nothing accomplished usually gets someone unemployed, funny how that does not apply to the royalty.

My question is: who keeps voting for these criminals?

...or are we at that point in our nations history where we just accept the fact that our votes dont count because the same criminals are getting re-elected over and over no matter how crooked they are.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join