It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi: Congressional pay cut undermines dignity of the job

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by ClassicCon

Were gonna need some powerful magic to take that bad witch down.

Dropping a house on them or dumping water on them seems to work.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The hag has the nerve to declare Congressmen have DIGNITY while destroying the country she took an oath to defend and uphold the laws of? Taking any money for screwing people makes her a hooker does it not? How much dignity do hookers have?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

That is precisely what I was thinking though consensus is nearly impossible and it should be based on both congressional approval rating and each senator/representatives' constituent approval rating. In other words, it shouldn't just reflect on whether one's constituents are pleased with you but also on your ability to work with others in Congress to produce effective and quality legislation. Make sense?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I personally can't stand Pelosi and never could. Her entire attitude is that she, and those like her are better than everyone else, deserve to be worshiped and us "little people" are ignorant, smelly farm animals. She is probably the best example of what a "representative" shouldn't be. And forget cutting their pay...we would save more letting them pay for their own offices, airline flights, cars, body guards, etc. What we SHOULD pay for is their toilet paper because their s!@# certainly does stink. Though I'm sure they disagree.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Having read the article and the comments the following can be stated:

The very notion that she is refusing to accept a pay cut for members of congress is reason enough to not only support it, but to demand it. Looking at her personal history, she has been in politics for 20 years, so needless to say she has decided that she is comfortable in that position. More politicians who vote against it the more contempt that they have for the general population and ultimately need to be voted out of office.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm beginning to think she is on something, other than alcohol. She is so out of touch with reality, that she actually believes in and supports a complete class structure and separation in our society. She actually does not understand how the serfs aren't grateful for her mere physical appearance in walking this great earth at the very same time in history.

Dignity would be her taking responsibility for breathing and polluting my, otherwise clean, air. She should be paying fines, not receiving royalty entitlements.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

No more raises? They should stop paying them altogether. Their positions were not originally intended to be paid. And they were never intended to be what they are now. They were supposed to be citizens who went to town periodically and made the laws for all of us. Not just for us. And they are supposed to be compensated for their travel and time spent away from their homes.
They were never intended to be treated like royalty. AKA Pelosi and her booze laden flights on Air Force jets. All these perks they have bestowed upon themselves. And this all the while screwing us and raising taxes, taking our rights away. And then taking months of vacations each year, which we pay for at least in part. Pay them. They should hang from the trees in DC. And then elect a whole new bunch. And have them walk past their previous members every day on the way to work...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Yep and should be facing forced days off like I am in the next coming month. Funny how their job is dignity but mine is what? Expendable? I actually fix things that allow and keep private commerce/travel moving in a safe manner. Pelosi? What a joke, all of them.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

" dignity of lawmakers job" this from the lying corrupt POS Pelosi. She probably thinks that "dignity means you should be payed more the less you do. She is proof positive that these people don't think for one minute that they work for the people.

What a delusional used up COW......................the only way to bring any kind of dignity back to Congress is fire them all and throw about half of them in prison...................like Jackson Jr, now theres Pelosi's kind of dignity.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
One of the most liberal voting districts in the USA. They are so far to the left, they occasionally accuse Rachel Maddow of being too conservative.

Yeah, make it about her being liberal. Throw that divisive wrench into the works...

You snipped the quote I was replying to, BH. There was a comment directed at why she keeps getting elected, what is the deal with her constituents. Her attitude towards Congressional pay is obviously not partisan, but most of the other drivel she spouts is certainly partisan and, for what it is worth, she is one of the most liberal members of Congress elected by one of the most liberal districts. It isn't intended to be a "divisive wrench", it's just the truth.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fondue
reply to post by muse7

Their positions were not originally intended to be paid.

Apparently you missed Article I, Section 6 of the United States Constitution. It reads as follows:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States.

If the Founders felt it would have created a conflict as it is today, it would have never been put into place. Now we can argue how they have a monopoly upon their own pay and can vote themselves that compensation, but it was originally intended to receive compensation.

And they were never intended to be what they are now. They were supposed to be citizens who went to town periodically and made the laws for all of us. Not just for us. And they are supposed to be compensated for their travel and time spent away from their homes.

Agreed and I think I understand better your above notion about intent a little clearer now.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

However, there were also a lot of things that have occurred that the Founders did not foresee. Madison actually envisioned that Congress--particularly the senate--would be of the educated, landed class. Basically, the wealthy landowners, which is what we pretty much have. He saw them as the minority that would be the most likely to be targeted by faction (see the Federalist papers). The thing is, there were also supposed to be checks and balances and these wealthy landowners were to be voted in by the general populous (white men, basically, at the time--another thing that changed and for the better). Another factor that was unforeseen was the creation of the corporation as it is today. The closest corollary to the corporation that existed in the time of the founding fathers would have been the charter company and these things didn't have an eternal life. The intention behind a charter company was to establish them for an express purpose and for a limited time in order to perform that purpose (you can still see the echoes of this in corporations currently as they are required to have in their corporate charters a mission and vision--they just no longer have an end date tied with the attainment of either). Limiting their life span was considered to be prudent in order to preserve free market competition and to assure a "land of opportunity". So that was something they certainly did not foresee and also has had a dramatic effect on our Congress as many of members either a. own interests in these entities or b. look forward to the revolving door. This relationship has taken the interest of serving their constituency almost completely out of the picture (explains the severely low approval rating over the last several years as Congress has stymied) but also, the change in corporate donation to campaigns also has had an effect. There's been research that has been done to indicate that it's who people see the most that tend to win the votes (more money --> more airtime --> recognizability --> votes)--that and incumbents. That wasn't an intention of the founding fathers' either.

Madison's greatest fear was messing something up. It's why he originally was against the idea of an express bill of rights (basically, anything not expressly listed and unforeseen would not be considered a "right" though it ought to be--ie. privacy). The Founding Fathers were brilliant without a doubt. However, they were not clairvoyant.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Agreed and Madison is one of my political inspirations. There have been a few things though that have drastically altered the Federal structure and brought it more inline with a National structure: 17th Amendment being one of the largest blows to Federalism in my opinion.

Other is not only education of those who hold seats in Government but, and you alluded to it, those who continually vote not because of the values and intent of public service, but face time. I cringe when I hear calls for term-limits: there are term-limits its just people always end up saying, "Well, Congress is bad but not my representative!" and they are voted back in time and time again.

Things will only change when the electorate changes (that is to assume they want to be under a republican form of government) rather than the slow creep to a direct democracy with place-holders at the State and Local levels.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
reply to post by neo96

I'm beginning to think she is on something, other than alcohol. She is so out of touch with reality, that she actually believes in and supports a complete class structure and separation in our society. She actually does not understand how the serfs aren't grateful for her mere physical appearance in walking this great earth at the very same time in history.

Dignity would be her taking responsibility for breathing and polluting my, otherwise clean, air. She should be paying fines, not receiving royalty entitlements.

I hear botox can do that to you.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Dignity of the job....."we can read it later" says.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Until they they do what they are paid to do represent the people of their states in a fair and impartial way , I also feel their pay should be cut completely off, and stopped from being able to accept any lobbists money as well. Let them see how the other half has to live for a change.

edit on 15-2-2013 by thunder57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Explanation: S&F!

If she doesn't like the pay cuts she can easily quit and go work in the private sector! :shk:

Personal Disclosure: I made up heard this rumor going around that some lobbyist was profoundly ejaculating wildly that Pelosi gives him the best head jobs that his money can buy ... can anybody confirm this?

[Note @ Everybody ... PLEASE go reread that at least two more times before posting any hotheaded replies or making any alerts to the
ok.
]

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
reply to post by ownbestenemy

However, there were also a lot of things that have occurred that the Founders did not foresee. Madison actually envisioned that Congress--particularly the senate--would be of the educated, landed class. Basically, the wealthy landowners, which is what we pretty much have. He saw them as the minority that would be the most likely to be targeted by faction (see the Federalist papers). The thing is, there were also supposed to be checks and balances and these wealthy landowners were to be voted in by the general populous (white men, basically, at the time--another thing that changed and for the better).

What we have seen is that a senator is a senator is a senator. And if Nancy is an example for the better we would have been just as well off if it were an all male club and the rise of a non-white only congress has been on the back of faction for the most part and not a picture of justice as some suppose.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by Fondue
reply to post by muse7

Their positions were not originally intended to be paid.

Apparently you missed Article I, Section 6 of the United States Constitution. It reads as follows:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States.

If the Founders felt it would have created a conflict as it is today, it would have never been put into place. Now we can argue how they have a monopoly upon their own pay and can vote themselves that compensation, but it was originally intended to receive compensation.

It looks to me like the founders understanding human nature and politics gave congress the power to vote its own pay raises because they knew the people would never do it. And/or they understood how corrupted the show we become if broke congressmen were left to the power of money influence....

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What do people expect her to say? People with money always want more money, they all but lost their morality when they decided to hoard it.

Who in their right mind would ask for lower pay? No one would. I'm not defending her, I'm just saying. Unless you're a banker, in which case, asking for lower is STILL an insult because you're BILLIONAIRE anyway. This whole system/world STINKS and it's this kind of backwards lunacy that's making me go f****** nuts.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join