It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I Believe That Humanity Will Truly Become Extinct...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
We live in a culture in which it is the norm for each and every person to be overly concerned and distracted by the activities of celebrities.

Instead of simply living our lives, we choose to focus on the doings of others. Open any supposed news page on the internet, what will you see? Oh, you'll see world news, weather, sports and the like, but what else will you see? "Is Kim K. Pregnant?", "Justin Beiber goes on a luxurious vacation with some other untalented celebrity", "Snooki proves just how much of pig she really is with her latest antics" etc. etc.

Concerned readers can get any and all juicy tidbits on some random athlete and his insanely arrears child support, or which news anchor has decided to tell the world that he/she is gay or bi, or pan-sexual (whatever the hell that means), yes, THESE are the topics that come up at the water-cooler these days, it disgusts me to be honest.

Ridiculously STUPID "issues" like these are going to be the indirect cause of the extinction of humanity. How? More people know the most minute of details about the lives of these unbelievably imbecilic attention-whores than know about the goings on in their government, town or even neighborhood.

When whatever event is about to occur that will finally do us in, most of us will be too busy ogling Gisele Bundchen's "post-baby bikini bod" to even take the slightest notice.

I understand that this is purely a rant against this tabloid culture that we live in, but I find myself griping about it constantly and was hoping to get a little of it off of my chest.

These people are like leeches that do not subsist on blood, but on the intelligence of their host (us). How many episodes of 'Honey Boo Boo' or "All My Babies' Mamas" are enough for people to snap out of it and and take stock of their remaining brain cells?

If the point at which someone is able to recognize the intellectual destruction being committed upon themselves doesn't truly exist, then, I submit that mankind is doomed.

PHEW! That felt good! I have plenty more in the tank, in fact, probably enough to write a hundred of these rants, but it wouldn't change anything anyhow. I'll just settle for rambling nearly incoherently once in a while in order to preserve my own sanity.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

We live in a culture in which it is the norm for each and every person to be overly concerned and distracted by the activities of celebrities.

Not all of us, but yes, far too many. I honestly believe it is a deliberate attempt to dumb us down. The celebrities who are publicized are getting more and more stupid, immoral, and famous for doing nothing. I'm not sure it will lead to our extinction, but possibly a society which is so stupid that intellectual evolution of the masses my go regress.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

I realize that it isn't everybody, I also realize that the rant itself is merely that; a rant. I guess ultimately I am sick and tired of celebrities and their sickening influence on the minds of so many.

So many forms of media have become little more than a hyperactive version of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and it makes me sick.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I`m glad i`m old enough and wise enough to not be interested in what celebrities say or do.
If all the celebrities disappeared overnight the world would continue without even a hiccup.
They get paid a lot of money to contribute nothing of value to society.The janitors at your local hospital provide a more valuable service to society than all the celebrities combined do.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

They (celebrities) could be classified as agents of propaganda for the distraction they cause.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Hugs from me!
My wife is one of those willing sheep.
She is an awesome Mother and Wife but, wholly ignorant to many important issues.
Now that you know this, how do I live with it??
Awesome semi expensive Noise cancelling headphones, an epic music library and a couple of dogs to be my outward ears when I am vulnerable.
This allows her to be oblivious to the worlds problems and allows me to keep the filth out of my ears.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

The obsession with trivial details may not lead to our extinction, but it is certainly leading to our imminent enslavement.

top topics

join