It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carnival Triumph cruise ship situation is worse than what is being reported.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Originally posted by Britster1821
Some of you are so heartless...
It's bad enough not having proper facilities, but there are reports of food poisoning in some cases. How awful! Can you imagine the stench of that ship?
It's not first world problems, it's not whining...If you were in similar conditions, you'd want out too.
How about the ones that are being jerks, why don't you guys go live in your own filth for a week (if you're not already doing so), then report back to us on how awesome it is. While you're at it, disconnect your internet, and your electricity.

Heartless???
Sweetheart lemme educate you.
I am a retired plumber, my Wife and I raised 6 kids on that.
I have waded in a river of #e to feed and cloth my kids and did it well.
I didn't live in my own filth for a week, I lived in everyones filth for a career!
Now, straighten your tiara, wipe your shoe and get up on deck!
Boo hoo, I got poo on my shoe...

thing is, this was not a ship full of plumbers, or people used to being in such close proximity to bodily waste. this goes for everyone else who is trying to make the tired "third world" argument. yes, in contrast to the conditions in which many people all over the planet live, this doesn't seem that bad. but as individuals, our feelings/perceptions are RELATIVE to what we're accustomed/acclimated to. this was a cruise of predominately middle america, some less wealthy than others, but by and large a group of people used to indoor plumbing, regular meals, orderly social interactions, cleanly facilities, comfortable amenities, etc. so to them this situation is extreme and incredibly distressing BECAUSE it's in such stark contrast to what they're used to.

i'm generalizing a bit, but the fact remains: our perceptions are individual and subject to our interpretation of our past experiences. what one considers difficult, miserable, and hellish will differ from others, each person operating from their own life unique perspective. on a societal level, those accustomed to a western lifestyle likely have a very different understanding of "suffering" than those who are much more familiar with being hungry, cold, etc. based on the extent to which one has suffered. but one person's hellish torment is another person's definition of merely a bad day. this is the key to compassion, understanding, and wisdom - realizing that reality is subjective, and everyone has a right to experience something in their own way.

if you disagree, cool - you're absolutely correct about your own experiences. but you don't have any grounds to dictate how anyone else should feel about THEIR OWN. so the best thing to do is state how you'd feel if you were in their shoes, without holding up your opinion as the correct one for everyone in the situation at hand.
edit on 2/15/2013 by jewdiful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is what happens when you are dependent upon a corporation.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Exactly. People have been trying to get me to take a cruise my entire life and I always looked at it like this, it only takes one idiot to ruin your vacation. Whether it's an accident or some nutcase making threats. There is just too many ways for something to go wrong when you got thousands of people crammed into one place.

If you stay on land, you're in control of your own vacation. You don't have to live it on their shedule either. It really would have pissed me off when they immediately closed the bar, which at the same time I completely understand why they did that. I guess they didn't want to deal with hordes of angry, hungry, hung over slobs! Can you imagine? LMAO! Nope, not me. Never. I'll stick to the Resorts. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jewdiful

Dayauuum, that was a lot of words you put down there!
Fact is according to the pictures I have seen of people disembarking the ship, they all have smiles on their faces.
In fact, most are probably sleeping off a huge meal right at this moment, and they will have a great story to tell their children about their vacation "ordeal".
They also learned how things can be turned upside down in just a small amount of time.
Be prepared and take nothing for granted.
I don't believe anyone died except maybe a crewmember in the fire (I'm really not sure).
So all in all, it was a learning experience and a great conversation to laugh about with friends.

Tough times can be fun, my best christmas ever was many years ago it was also a total disaster.
I had almost 30 people coming to my house for breakfast that morning and it was my first year hosting the family breakfast.
The power popped and my breaker box fried, the whole kitchen was electric...
We had a fire in the fireplace and I broke out the camping gear and made a makeshift kitchen.
Everyone pitched in and it was a huge success.
We still laugh about that day, these "survivors" will laugh about theirs too.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

(KJ, love your avatar!)

You all have probably seen this Carnival commercial,
this is what I had in mind, its funny if you have ever been camping
and survived a bear raid.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-2-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

They closed the bars?? No wonder conditions were so miserable...

Here's my question... for the amount of money the cruise lines pay for each ship, they couldn't see fit to install a redundant system?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

I have been on around 10+ cruises on royal carr. Thats the best way to travel and its fairly cheap. Never been disappointed on them. Granite, I did have balcony rooms.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jewdiful

It may seem heartless but I look at it this way. Someone who has something occur to them through no fault of their own and without judgment flaw, I can have pity for. Someone who has a negative outcome from doing something that they should have known better to do, I have less pity for because they made a poor choice. Look at it this way, children learn in elementary school about how perilous transoceanic or even coastal voyages can be, historically, from the voyages of the explorers to the settlers, to the Titanic and much, much more. Sure, we have a lot of technology but technology is not infallible and the end result will be conditions worse than your typical old ship ride because a. you don't have the lower tech to compensate (dead in the water) and whole lot more people. Not to mention that we've been in a recession for a few years that should also make guessing that corporations, particularly those whose product or service is a luxury, are going to cut corners to cushion the reduction in revenues and loss of profits. If one is going to be counting on a company with one's life, as one should have learned in grade school, then at least do your homework before booking a trip: www.cbc.ca...

Writing was on the wall in a way with this one. However, I do hope that the passengers on board take Carnival to the cleaners on this as they should. Carnival had them in their care and under their responsibility--they obviously failed.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Don't be silly, a diesel generator on a ship is never going to work.

Modern ships are hard wired to the shore and plugged into mains electric.

Sometimes the cable gets snagged on things under the water like rocks or sunk ships, and the cable snaps cutting off power. It's even been known for some fish and other sea creatures to chew though the cables, a bit like how rats do that in buildings and this can problems too.

It would be nice if onboard generators could be installed but it just not technically possible, something to do with sea water I think but I'm not exactly sure why.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm really surprised the ATSers haven't talked about how sex trafficking, kidnapping and murder are so common on cruise lines and how scary it is for young women and families with daughters traveling on these ships.

Just check out the scary stories posted here:

International Cruise Victims

The Sexual Assaults section in the true stories area alone is harrowing; but there are many worse stories shared by frustrated surviving family members on this site.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
As disgusting as this cruise was, I have no pity.

If only you people knew what it was like serving onboard a United States Carrier. I served on 4 of them and this is par for the course my friends. Terrible living conditions, little to no private space, disgusting ass heads (head = bathroom for all you civilians), waiting in lines for chow for over an hour (this is everyday, not just for a few days) etc etc. It ain't so bad when everythings working, but damn when one things fails on a Carrier (like A/C, or potable water, or a kitchen goes down, or god forbid complete power) it turns into hell on earth, fast.

What seperates the above from the Carnival disaster, and rightly so, is that I volunteered to serve my country in her Navy. These cruisers PAID to go onboard for a vacation - not fight in a war on a war ship.
This leaves me feeling bad for the time spent on a ship that was awful, but seeings how I lived in conditions like that for upwards of eight months at a time, I can't say I pity them to much.

I'd be pretty pissed too for the lost time of my life (had I Paid for a vacation and recieved that in return).

Lesson here - DO NOT pay to go on a Carnival Cruise.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
reply to post by Iwinder

Sometimes the cable gets snagged on things under the water like rocks or sunk ships, and the cable snaps cutting off power. It's even been known for some fish and other sea creatures to chew though the cables, a bit like how rats do that in buildings and this can problems too.

It would be nice if onboard generators could be installed but it just not technically possible, something to do with sea water I think but I'm not exactly sure why.

That's not true at all. Carriers have diesel generators on them for emergency back up power.
I know this because I deployed on 4 different Carriers. Yes, they typically use Nuclear Power but we do run drills that engage the desiel fuel generators incases of emergencies.

So, it is possible to have one board. It's just that Carnival would probably like to use the space it requires for something other than backup generators.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
People need to get over it. YOu take a risk by taking such a cruise. I didn't know that simply because you pay some money you are insured to have a good time and be safe.

Just and FYI
LIFE IS A RISK

everything is a risk. Sailing is risky, flying is risky, driving is risky.

Honestly the corp really doesn't have to do anything since it could happen to any other company.

If they gave my 500$ for my time and flew me home that is what is expected since it was agreed iw ould get home at such a time and they did not deliver.

all the crap that unexpectedly happened oh well

people are too used to having everything insured it is sickening. Had i been on that cruise.. i would have said how stupid i was in trusting people out for money to take care of my well being.

If you put your life int he hands of others then that is your judgment call and it is as much your fault what happened on the ship.

Get over it.

And if they think what happened on the ship was bad...

ah people are so pampered.
edit on 15-2-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by FyreByrd
reply to post by toolstarr

My question about this is why haven't the passengers been taken off the ship and taken to shore? Sure some of the staff would have to stay on board to get her into port, but the conditions would be more tolerable the less people on board.

Ships have been bringing supplies - why not take people - especially the very old and very young off?

Yep, I was wonderinging why they didn't use the lifeboats to evacuate the ship.

Could it be that there were not enough? Titanic anyone?

My guess is that the risk of splitting up people from the ship into lifeboats would have been much more dangerous than actually staying on the ship itself. Those lifeboats are NOT fun, and if your even remotely prone to getting sea sick on the cruise ship you will be puking up a storm on the small boats. Once one person pukes, the smell of it will make others throw up... it's not a good situation.

Leave me on the cruise ship please.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

Originally posted by Iwinder
I don't know what to think because I never ever believe the MSM........that said I do have a question for any sea fairing folks here who will certainly know more than this land lubber.

I realize this is a passenger ship and it is huge, so my thoughts are why cannot these ships have a very large generator to run the kitchens and toilets and some other essentials when they have hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel of board?

I know I am reaching but I am thinking of a couple of large sized Cat engines in the hull converted to run off of the ships fuel would be a nice touch.

Regards, Iwinder

In reading several different articles, it does say they are running the back up generator, lights in the main dining areas and the public area restrooms are still functional (23 of them) but 23 restrooms for 4000 people is not what I call good odds.

Well with my limited knowledge I do know that a couple of 12 cylinder Cat engines would be more than enough to power most things on that vessel at any given time ( excluding the drives of course)

On the restrooms I do have a question and that is are they single serve or multi use ones.....
One restroom has 5 urinals and say 4 stalls for the men, 9 stalls for the ladies each in each restroom?

The reason I ask this is because my old High School way back in the mid 70's had a student population of almost 2500 and I recall there were 5 male restrooms with the 5 urinals and 4 stalls, and I am sure the female ratio was that and probably more although I cannot state for sure.

So being a male I can state that there were 45 pots to piss in and I only remember having to wait in line maybe twice to void my bladder or whatever.

But if what I assume you are saying is that there were only 23 single restrooms for the whole vessel that were operational that would make it a tough situation to put it politely.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 15-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

Laughing here so I suppose what I suggested is entirely possible, I figured as much.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Geeez some people in this thread, I mean half of the world lives on less than 2 dollars per day, if only you knew just how winy and spoiled you lot seem from their point of view! A bunch of fat wealthy westerners out to party and drink with their money on a state of the art cruise ship - and it ends up with no AC and have to survive on cucumber and onions sandwiches!!! Cry me a river!

Wonder what this guy thinks about cucumber and onion sandwiches...

I bet these people really feel for you not having air-con or power, must be awful living in filth on that cruise liner.

They should start a foundation, to make sure no fat westerner ever be without power on their cruise liners ever again. Donate to save the cruise ship passengers today!

This is south park material.

It just really irks me when rich people complain about conditions which some people in the world could never even dream of attaining. Some will never even see the ocean, let alone go on a cruise ship - power or no power.

Just be happy with what you got.

edit on 15/2/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon

reply to post by Iwinder

That's not true at all. Carriers have diesel generators on them for emergency back up power.
I know this because I deployed on 4 different Carriers. Yes, they typically use Nuclear Power but we do run drills that engage the desiel fuel generators incases of emergencies.

So, it is possible to have one board. It's just that Carnival would probably like to use the space it requires for something other than backup generators.

Bingo.

I got one..

Don't believe it .....

edit on 15-2-2013 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

The reason I mentioned the CAT engines is that they are very common here in the great Lakes region for actually powering the smaller freighters (450-650 feet) so I know they have the juice to do it.

I have no knowledge of the salt water habitat so if you can could you please enlighten us all here on the breed of fish that eat through these electrical cables?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

Easy to say while on your computer, likely in a temperature controlled room/home, food in the cupboards/fridge, and likely with a functioning bathroom.

When I was in the Navy, we lost ventilation in our birthing and it did not take long for the stink from dirty socks from peoples ditty bag and the heat from people and other parts of the ship to overtake it. We put up with it, but on a ship wide scale plus being civvies, I can only imagine the frustration and concern.

Don't they have backup generators on those ships separate from the engine rooms to supply power? We did on our ship. We had a couple diesel generators that were the size of a train engine.
Might cut into the profits and bonuses for the top dogs.
edit on 15-2-2013 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join