It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Republicans blocked Chuck Hagel's nomination

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

BREAKING: Republicans blocked Chuck Hagel's nomination

Republicans blocked Chuck Hagel's nomination for defense secretary, with Democrats failing to get the votes to break a filibuster.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said it's the first time a nominee for secretary of defense has been filibustered.

The Democrats mustered 58 votes, falling two short in the procedural vote, amid GOP questions about the former Republican senator's finances, as well as remaining tensions with the White House over last year's terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya.

F
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Both sides of the isle have been grilling him, especially about his stance towards Israel.

McCain has been the strongest opposition it seems and leading the fight to bar him, as well as Rand Paul.

First time in history is one shot below the belt towards the Prez.

Paul on Hagel...

edit on 14-2-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
good

I wasn't comfortable with this guy, and this is checks and balances at work

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Where is the link to the news article?

Her's a link to the Guardian

It just looks like more partisan politics to me - I am sure that if a Rep POTUS proposed someone with a similar history but from a conservative background the GOP would have no problem.

you simply do not get perfect people with perfect records at eh top - and never have - suggesting that you should do so is just nonsense - from anyone.

What's moer the stated reason is nothing to do with him:

Senate Republicans say they want more information about what Obama was doing on the night of the deadly attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, in September. The attack killed the US ambassador.

Really - they are blocking this guy because they want to know when the President had a crap that night??

You can't defend this nonsense as rational any more!
edit on 14-2-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Good. It's about time the GOP grew a pair.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
there just wasn't enough lipstick in the makeup bag to make him pretty even with some Dems risking their political careers by voting for him.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Good...he wouldn't answer the question, if he thought the President had the power to use drones to fire on American citizens without due process.

Des

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
His performance during his hearing was laughable and Hagel has way too much baggage and too many skeletons in his closet to head DOD. The fact that even Democrats can see this speaks volumes. Hagel is bad news...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Reid also voted a NO, but from what I understand they will vote again
This guy is a clown never the less

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
His performance during his hearing was laughable ..

More like .. FRIGHTENING. Seriously .. I'm glad someone blocked it.
The dude needs to retire. Thanks for your service, Mr. Hagel, here's a gold watch. Bu-bye.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have to say good work on this one. They can sure get stuff done when they really want to... Unless it comes to the real issues...

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It just looks like more partisan politics to me - I am sure that if a Rep POTUS proposed someone with a similar history but from a conservative background the GOP would have no problem.

Hagel is a former republican senator. So much for that theory. Maybe he is just a bad egg eh? Rand Paul's explanation above seems pretty reasonable to me. Did you watch the video?

Here is some basic info on Chuck Hagel
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14-2-2013 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hagel is a blubbering idiot and a sock puppet for Barry. I just hope it doesn't get pushed through on the 26th when they are schedule to vote again. He would be a detriment to the safety of both the military and citizens of the United States.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
Reid also voted a NO, but from what I understand they will vote again
This guy is a clown never the less

A clever clown? Exactly how so?

Hagel was a Republican in good standing who was recipient of two Purple Hearts. How many do you have?

He then made a fortune when he co-founded Vanguard Cellular and later served as president of the McCarthy Group, an investment banking firm. All of this before serving in the U.S. Senate (1997–2009).

This is scandalous? No. What got this guy in trouble was that in 2002, Hagel, along with 76 other Senators, supported George Bush and voted in favor of the Iraq Resolution, yet later withdrew that support and spoke against the Iraq war when he discovered Bush lied to America in order to invade Iraq. Later in a book he stated he also believes that the Iraq War is one of the five biggest blunders in U.S. history.

Hagel was super critical of George W. Bush's foreign policy, calling it "reckless." Is anyone going to disagree with Hagel? Hell no. These days Republicans have put a taboo on even mentioning Bush's name, out of embarrasment.

Other than this, this guy was a model Republican, voting in 2001 in favor of both the USA PATRIOT Act. and then reauthorizing expiring provisions of the Patriot Act in 2006, as well as the House introduced Protect America Act of 2007. This is what you call a "Clown"

If Republicans don't like this guy because he would hold Israel accountable for their actions, they had better reevaluate their position.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Reid voted no so they could have a second vote, expect the filibuster to be broken if there's a second bite.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Amazing is political brinkmanship. Hagels disastrous performance before the Senate should have been the end of this Kubuki theater. Reid's "play" of voting NO means a second vote. How many R's will cave round two?

Now, it the defeat of Hagel holds...can we please also reject the Jihadi friendly Brennen???

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Oh so secretary's defense are given their jobs based on the best out of 2 rounds?

That's nice.

Glad Hagel got shot down.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Hagel cares about America first, not Israel.

Unfortunately, in American politics, that is not allowed.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Some kind of deal is in the works, as the actual vote was 59 for (but Reid voted no to assure another vote). When it is a one vote margin it means that somebody wants something, and will get it. Hagel will be lunching in the Pentagon before very long.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Of-course they did.

Heres a man whos not a slave to izrael, is against the US policy of endless warfare and wants to audit the Pentagon.

AIPAC and the Military Industrial Complex win yet again.

edit on 16-2-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join