It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simcity is almost here!.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hi, if you played/play any simcity games and have grown bored of it, are you looking forward for the next upcoming SimCity game which is coming out in just a few weeks? I watched several videos and it looks amazing (except for the city size and online DRM forced by EA). I am very excited for the game to come out, because it has been 10 years since a Simcity game came out. If you don't know what this game is about, please don't reply randomly.

Here are some videos that Ocean Quigley released (he is part of designing the game).
Want to hear your opinions!.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I heard you cant play offline - is that true? Cause that would put me off.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

I believe I read that this one features an "Always-On" DLC system. I took that to mean yes, you can only play the new SimCity while online.

Seems similar to how they did Spore.

Anyway with all the hype around the new SimCity, I've replaying SimCity 4 the last few weeks. Really is an awesome game.

"Always Online" requirements aside, I think this will be a good one.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
I heard you cant play offline - is that true? Cause that would put me off.

I asked the same thing and the guy at Game Stop said we could play single player mode - but - that we still had to be connected ONLINE to play it in single player mode! This will be the first Sim City I do NOT have/get.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
DRM. Yeah, probably.

EA DRM. Instant No sale.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Big fan of SimCity games. The thing about simulation city builder is it is casual. There really isn't much to worry about. It's a type of game you can put down and pick up and have fun over and over again.

Being the video game critic I am, I have trouble finding issues (technical or not) with the SimCity games.

-SAP-
edit on 15-2-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
DRM. Yeah, probably.

EA DRM. Instant No sale.

Yeah, EA's DRM is driving more pirates now than the financial gain of illegal copies for free ever did. People who want to pay to buy their games don't because they don't want to deal with their over-reaching antipiracy strategy. I don't know the impacts in regards to SimCity, because of how integrated the online component is supposed to be and how the community aspect is so tightly wrapped up with the entirety of the game, but rest assured DRM cracks will appear on Google within weeks of release.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
There is an advantage to it being online play, it uses the EA servers for some of the game computing.

SC4 has been one of my secret interests lol, looking fwd to sc5. Not sure if I want it bad enough to not wait till the price comes down though, $60 seems a bit much to me when it will probably be $20 before too long. And I hope it isn't like cities xl, just couldn't get into that one for some reason.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yea I won't buy it because of the online only thing.

I have a feeling this game will not do as well as it should because of this. When I buy a game I want it to be mine, not have my play time determined by some corporation somewhere.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I've been playing SimCity4 Deluxe Edition religiously now for the past 5 months. I really want to get SimCity 5 but the whole online thing might not work for me. Most likely I'll wait for Steam to get it and knock the price down a bunch.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
EA games murdered this game.

Is EA The Worst Company In America?

As an avid gamer, you have to get a crowbar to pull me away from video games. Its my vice, its my addiction.
However, I will NEVER and I mean never play a game made by EA games, or Capital games.

I simply will not support their base. Until I am shown they really care about their user.
I mean it is the user that should be factored into the math of what ever system they are using.

I have this gut feeling, that EA is onto this new age SCAM. Its like a virtual scam, and if you sign in and agree to the T&C of their games.. Makes it fully legal to scam you.

Face book games, Supreme City of Heroes and Age of Champions are prime examples. Lots of people flushed their time and money down the drain on those games.
And people are like.. Well I made friends, that is what counts here.
Umm okay, well I have real life friends, and was not looking for more online "buddies". I just want to play a game.
But they go and yank a game that people have paid good money for. Gone. poof. Right after the holidays too.. When people spent money on a game. Bet they would not have spent that money if they where give a 60-90 notice of said shut down..

EA LOL's in the face of its users.

edit on 24-1-2014 by zysin5 because: EA is the worse, and most "scammy" of them all. Don't do it. Do not support EA games in any way. I emplore you!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I love SimCity but didn't get the last release because of all the bad press.

Can't play offline? Not interested.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yeah I would warn you.. Don't do it.
Its not worth it to support EA games in that manner.
I am not trying to make some kind of movement here.. Just stating simple logic here.

I LOVE the old school sim city and Sims.
but sadly had to hang them up due to the very company that made it.. Shame.

But EA is horrible.
And they can legally scam you.

yeah you can not play "offline" and all they want is your $$$$$$$$ And they can then... PULL the game at any time they want. After anyone paid real world money.. Say BYE to anything you put in.. Time and Cash.

I suppose if you're one that has NO life, NO real friends.. Then this might be an option for them.
Plenty of people on the game forums are "thanking" them for pulling games. And being all like.. I made friends that is what counts.. I have no real friends, and this game helped me.
While I sit in my chair, I kind of feel bad for those people. But at the same time, I will not throw a pity party for them either.
Its their choice and if they like being abused and robbed by EA.. Go for it! Choices. You have them

edit on 24-1-2014 by zysin5 because: EA sucks

EA Games
Monolithic games company which acquires talent instead of breeding it.

1. Responsible for shipping their games with crippling DRM.

2. Most of their games are soulless clone less advertising vehicles regurgitated at least once a year, every year.
Guy1 - Hey, reinstalled Spore on your new PC yet?
Guy2 - No, EA Games fu#%ed me

Guy1 - Hey, reinstalled Red Alert 3 on your new PC yet?
Guy2 - No, EA Games #ed me

Source
edit on 24-1-2014 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

This just about sums it up -

I don't even care about the 'always online' thing.

I played SC4 for years. I still play it occaisionally. I played SC2013 for about 3 weeks before I gave up. SC4 is better in almost every way, it has more depth, it at least tries to properly simulate peoples routes to and from work, and most importantly for me it allows for large cities.

SC2013 has curved roads. That's about it as far as I can see on actual improvements.

For SC2013 the city tile size has gone back to the size of SC1. It's minute. 2km by 2km. SC4 allowed 16kmx16km AND LARGER. A big city in SC2013 is like 150,000 people. A big city in SC4 is like 8 or 12 million.

edit on RAmerica/Chicago28uTue, 25 Feb 2014 21:13:46 -06002-0600fCST09 by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing because: I just like to see the edit message at the end of every post

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

Yeah that does sum it up right there!!!

What has happened to the PC games that you go out and buy, and put a disk in and install the game. You have a physical copy of what you purchased. If you are not connected to the internet you should still be able to play your video game.
I do not like these new breed of games coming out, that are virtual games. You hold nothing in your hands. Only the idea that you have a little space in cyber land. To be honest, I feel its a new kind of scam going on.
And its Aimed right at us gamers. We are dedicated folks, who happen to have a slight addiction when it comes to video games.

I will admit fully.. I am a total video game junkie.
But I will not be duped into buying some bunk stuff.
No I need the real thing baby!! Boot those pixies right into the blood stream!!!

And non of this virtual child's play they are passing off for games these days.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

I just accept that it's the way things are going. Always online DRM is the way of the future, whether we like it or not. It will become more and more common.

But for me, that's not what kills SC2013.

I like Diablo 3. It's always online DRM can be a pain at times, but it also helps to eliminate cheating which was a huge problem in D2 and D1. It's just the way it's all going.

D2's unverified LAN connectivity beyond battlenet meant that that game was riddled, absolutely friggin riddled with cheats, player killers and all sorts of nasties that I would rather do without. One of the worst things in D1 was being player killed in town by like 50 firewalls to some entitled piece of # who thought that was an amusing way to spend his time. If always online does away with that, I am the biggest ever champion of it.

So getting back to SC, I don't give a flying # about always online DRM, but what kills the game for me is it's just an ultra lame, shallow version of Simcity which does not deserve the legacy of the name it bears.

top topics

join