What's with energy saving bulbs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It's harder to get the edison screw-in/bayonet filament type bulbs, and from what I gather, the plan is to eventually eradicate them completely in order to save energy...which means we save money, right? Yet the new energy saving bulbs are far more expensive and in my experience don't actually last as long or not much longer than old style bulbs.

Don't get me wrong here, I think saving energy is a good thing, but these things are quite odd.

I noticed the other day that the bulb I put in my kitchen was flickering at a fixed frequency - the light was off, but at a rate of perhaps once every 2 or 3 seconds it would flash on,, for a tiny fraction of a second then go back out.

It really freaked out my mate who thought it was weird, at first I reasoned ok they have a built in ballast/transformer...a small electrical circuit - because I've taken them apart before, so they have small capacitors, etc, which - with my limited amount of knowledge on the subject, I reasoned could store and possibly maintain a small charge, a kind of latching effect like a relay coil/switch.

Still, it kinda got me thinking, these energy saving bulbs are expensive, and I don't really know circuitry well enough to guage whether or not these are merely built-in ballasts/transformers, they could have anything in them.

Then I think about how the whole carbon footprint, energy saving agenda was pushed and by whom...and it's starting to kind of make me wonder.

I'm not really presenting a comspiracy here, just presenting possible grounds of one...what the hell is in these things? I understand how fluorescent lights need ballasts (a transformer with a some kind of built-in starter switch, so I've read anyway, correct me if I'm wrong) but why are they so determined to eradicate the old style light bulbs, I find the energy saving type bulbs quite horrible, take a while to brighten up, the light they emit is quite bad...gives me headaches, I don't like 'em!

And beginning to not trust 'em...they are expensive and crap, they don't last as long as they're said to, some specify the likes of 50,000 hours, I know this an approximation/guesstimate and the more you turn it off and on the more you shorten their lifespan, etc...I think this is true of old filament style bulbs but can't say for sure - I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on these things, and if anyone with good knowledge of electronics has actually dis-assembled and studied the circuitry inside them?

Even if they're harmless ballast/transformet-type circuits, the potential for them to develop into something more sinister is very real...any thoughts?
edit on 14-2-2013 by samerulesapply because: Correction.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

That's not all. They are also trying to give us cancer to.

Everybody knows that one good way to prevent a sunburn is to stay inside, where you're safe from the sun's ultraviolet rays. Right?

Well, that may not be true anymore if your house is lit with compact fluorescent light bulbs. Last month, researchers from the State University of New York at Stony Brook showed in a paper that tiny defects in the bulbs can let through UV light that can damage skin cells and lead to cancer.

The researchers' data, published in the journal Photochemistry and Photobiology, is preliminary, and based on experiments in a lab. In other words, there aren't any known cases of sunburn from light bulbs yet. The researchers say it's also not that hard to avoid the dangerous rays; they recommend putting the light behind glass or keeping a few feet away from the bulb.

www.npr.org...

Its part of the Illumanati's grand plan to begin population control and they are doing everything, including affecting your light bulbs to make sure we all die.

Merry Christmas

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I like energy saving bulbs especially when i want it to be light in about 30 minutes of switching it on.

link   
Not to mention all the mercury that will leach into the ground when not properly disposed of.

If that gets into the groundwater in concentrated levels, we'll all be Mad Hatters!

edit on 14-2-2013 by DeReK DaRkLy because: appended

link   
reply to post by Hopechest

That's quite alarming, I must say - know what else I just realised? The edison packaged fluorescent bulbs come in a blue box with what resembles the EU flag/emblem...a ring of yellow stars...I think I need to find out more about these things.

They make me feel ill if I'm around them too long, some folks I work with have said the same thing, a couple of folks ended up with prescription glasses etc they claim as a direct result of the lights causing migraines, eye problems, etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, i work in a technical department covering 6 hotels, i change lightbulbs every day in huge amounts, or actually i used to, cause after the change to energy saving bulbs, it got cut down to allmost nothing daily, but a few a week, plus the electrical bill has gone down 20% since the change, which is a lot concidering how many hotels and constantly change of guest with no sense on saving energy.

Energy saving bulbs do last longer and do save energy, they are a little more expensive when buying, but with time that money is comming back in energy savings and labour time.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

My wife's grandfather did a sorta self study to actually see if the price difference for fluorescent bulbs would be countered over time from buying less bulbs and using less electricity.

Long story short and I don't have all the specifics of what he did but he will not buy florescent bulbs. He says that they still cost much more over time than incandescent bulbs. Take it for what you wish but he is the cheapest person I ever met (I mean that in a good way) and was an electrician for over 50 years so I take his word for it.

ETA: LED bulbs however are probably another story.
edit on 14-2-2013 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would have agreed a few weeks back but I've since purchased a few new bulbs... energy saving and LED light bulbs and both are amazing...
I did loads of research and I saw this wonderful user comment on Amazon UK that I now have too share as it's so well written and I think they have the same issue you do and I did...

5.0 out of 5 stars My light bulb moment 27 Oct 2011 By M. Harrison.
I have often wondered if 'low energy' light bulbs are so called because they suck the life out of you. Maybe it's the fact that when you turn on the light switch there is still time to trip over in the dark before the light comes on. Maybe it's the fact they have a hue which is the colour of an old man's vest. Or maybe it's because their longevity feels more a threat than a treat: they just sit there, two expensive to discard, too pious to disdain, like a dutiful but reluctant aged retainer that refuses to die. But then came the Philips Tornado; and it blew me away. First of all, when you hit the switch, it springs into life easily in time for you to see your next step. It is truly as bright as a 100w bulb. The light it throws is white, soft and warm like a cosy bed (and let's not get too misty eyed about the yellow tinge of tungsten). It's compact, so you don't have to see it self-righteously peeping out above the lamp shade. And when I bought it it was the price of a pint of out-of-London beer (though the price has fluctuated to London cocktail price since). What's not to like? So the fact that the bulb I have acquired on the eve of my daughter going to school, will be the same one that lights her way to University, feels just fine. And perhaps if I buy a few dozen more, the money I have saved in the interim will help pay her fees. For a morning

This is the bulb.. Philips Tornado 23W B22 CFL Energy Saver Light Bulb - 23W Power Consumption With 106W Light Output, Rapid Start

I bought similar and it rocks! And the LED replacements I've bought are even better!
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: stuff
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: mote stuff

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
They have saved me a bunch of money and they seem to last forever. Never had any flicker or anything but I did notice they take a little longer to get a maximum brightness.

The best way to save on your electric bill is unplug to everything untill you use it. Except fridge of course.

You can also get power strip cords for things like your entertainment center and kill everything in a flip of a switch and only have one plug sucking juice.

People don't realize that if its off and plugged in its still sucking energy.

Since I've been unplugging everything my bill reduced almost 75%.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Fair point, in my house I've got maybe about 12 lights, tops...not all fitted with an energy saving bulb so by no means enough to produce any noticeable savings to be honest.

I've seen me fit one and it going out a few weeks later, though...literally a few weeks, I remember thinking what a rip off, but on the flip side I've one in my bathroom which hasn't been changed in a while...so swings and roundabouts, you made a fair point and from a different perspective.

I still don't like them, though...the light they give off seems un-natural to me and after a while of basking in the fluorescent light they produce I often start to feel kind of seedy and get headaches.

I'm more interested in the circuitry they contain, I remember the first time I took one apart and saw the circuit and components and thinking...all this for a silly light? They could be so easily adapted to contain small devices and most people wouldn't even know...most people probably don't even realise they contain small PCB's in them.

Good point, though, has to be said.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
I like energy saving bulbs especially when i want it to be light in about 30 minutes of switching it on.
I
I get around this problem by just leaving them on...
edit on 14-2-2013 by misscurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I agree LED's are a lot better, for sure. You can power a LED with a small voltage and don't necessarily need complext circuitry/ballasts to do so.

The light they give off is better, too. Good call.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

The thing that shortens the life span of the old style bulbs is turning them on and off frequently. I have an old school light bulb in my laundry room that I leave on at all times and it is over three years old and still shining. It's not even a more expensive brand or anything- just the store brand from Walmart, 60 watt.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

here in Canada our government has outlawed the common filament bulbs as of next year . we are now being forced to use those new spiral twist energy efficient bulbs.; which by the way are full of mercury dust . everyone should read carefully the instructions for the clean up procedures for these new bulbs . as mercury is DEADLY TOXIC TO ALL LIFE. as these bulbs fall under the rules and laws of hasmat.
mercury is such an incredible POISON it is found in warfarin ,used in gold mining ,used to be used for teeth fillings,it is even allowed to be put into our medications by the Canadian government and now light bulbs is this the corporate way of getting rid of their toxic products and POISONING all of us ,something to think on .

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You should try some of the LED lights, they are really awesome.

We have severel conference rooms only fitted with LED's, we havn't changed one of them for 3 years, and the Lumen is perfect for those big rooms.

The first batch of LED light's sucked but not anymore, and you save tons of energy, even if you only use 12 for your home.

But test them out before changing fully, cause there are still some out there that sucks, but they last forever.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by picratus

The spiral type bulb you refer to is the one I have which was flickering while turned off, I really dislike them.

The one I'm referring to is I believe a 26w Edison type...in the blue box with the ring of stars, is that the edison logo or something?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Sounds like some good advice, I think I may just do that.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
They don't get on well with dimmer switches,flicker and don't last long...

house plants love them though

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I dont know how anyone can say that the light they give off seems unnatural.Try growing a plant with an incandesant light bulb,you will get a puny streched plant looking for more light.Try the same with a compact flurescent and it will grow fine whether you have a blue spectrum one or a red spectrum one.The light is the opposite of unnatural and is infact much more like the natural light of the sun.
I will let you guess how I know this as fact but lets just say I did it with a huge 250 watt flurescent bulb.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

I don't really know why I think of them that way if I'm totally honest, I always have.

It just seems really cold, almost too bright and seems to kind of throb/pulsate if that makes sense, I also find it quite unflattering, too...not that I care about that, I dunno, just doesn't seem as warm as the light from a traditional bulb.

Perhaps because they weren't as common when I was growing up I guess.

As an example, in my kitchen I've a simple wire that dangles from the ceiling, it used to house a traditional 60w filament bulb and had no lamp shade. I'd sit in my living room on the computer, with the kitchen door open and the light on - the light being un-shaded, just a bare bulb. It never used to bother me.

The new, spiraly type bulbs I got annoy me, at first it's really dim but after being left on a while it kinda irritates me, I can't seem to help but notice it, so I got a shade but it still bothers me, so I turn it off or shut the door.

The other night it was off and the door open, yet it started to turn itself on, a really quick flash...then off for a few seconds, them flas, off for a few seconds, it really got our attention, my mate was really weirded out by it, I was really intrigued by it, I turned it on and back off again to see if that would stop it, thinkin perhaps some problem with the circuitry, but it continued to do so, so I removed it then put it back in and it seemed to stop.

Anyone any insights into how the cuircuitry might be causing this to happen?
edit on 14-2-2013 by samerulesapply because: Additional

top topics

<<   2 >>

join