It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why You Should Be Outraged By What Is Being Done to Our Postal Service

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
www.alternet.org...:

You are probably hearing that the Post Office is "in crisis" and is cutting back Saturday delivery, laying people off, closing offices, etc. Like so many other "crises" imposed on us lately, there is a lot to the story that you are not hearing from the "mainstream" media. (Please click that link.) The story of the intentional destruction of the U.S. Postal Service is one more piece of the story of crisis-after-crisis, all manufactured to advance the strategic dismantling of our government and handing over the pieces to billionaires.

Here are a few things you need to know about the Postal Service "crisis":

The Postal Service is the second largest employer in the United States after Walmart. But unlike Walmart, which gets away with paying so little that employees qualify for government assistance, the Postal Services is unionized, pays reasonable wages and benefits and receives no government subsidies. (Good for them!)
Republicans have been pushing schemes to privatize the Postal Service since at least 1996. In 2006 Republicans in the Congress pushed through a requirement that the Postal Service pre-fund 75 years of retiree costs. The Postal Service has to pay now for employees who are not even born yet.No other government agency -- and certainly no company -- has to do this.
Unlike other government agencies (like the military) since 1970 the Postal Service is required to break even. Once more: the Department of Defense is not required to break even.
While required to break even the Postal Service has to deliver mail to areas that are unprofitable for private companies to operate in. A letter sent from a small town in Alaska is picked up and transported across the country to a farm in Maine for 46 cents. While the internet and recession have eaten into some of the Postal Services letter business, magazines, books, newsletters, prescriptions, advertising, DVD services like Netflix and many other services still depend on the Postal Service for delivery. And many people for one reason or another still send letters. In a democracy these people are supposed to count, too.
But along with require the Postal Service to break even, Congress has restricted the Service's ability to raise rates, enter new lines of business or take other steps to help it raise revenue. In fact, while detractors complain that the Postal Service is antiquated, inefficient and burdened by bureaucracy the rules blocking the Postal Service from entering new lines of business do so because the Postal Service would have advantages over private companies.
For example, Republicans in Congress forced the Postal Service to remove public-use copiers from Post Offices and even blocked the Postal Service from setting up a secure online system that allowed Americans to make monthly bill payments.

Sorry about the long post - but it is IMPORTANT. The USPS is arguably the most effecient postal system in the world and Big Business wants to OWN IT.

This is another example of BIG BUSINESS raping PUBLIC PROPERTY for PRIVATE PROFIT. I for one am sick of it. The PRIVATISE b*******t is a scam. Why don't people see it - why are people led by the nose of CORPORATE BOSSES, their media shills and government lackies?

Can't anyone see that it's not the government that is the problem it's BIG MONEY/BUSINESS that is causing 99% of the troubles in the world.

The meme that "business is more efficient than government" is a lie and always has been. Why do people believe it?

Here is some data: www.imd.org...

The following table compares how countries rank in Government and Business Efficiency, and shows the gap in their relative competitiveness. Some governments—listed below—heavily trail behind business competitiveness, others pave the way ahead. Do countries always have the government they deserve?

www.imd.org...

The fact is that the countries that are doing well have more efficient governments then their businesses IN ALL CASES.

We are a nation of ignorant fools that can't think or even care about REAILITY. THIS ISN'T A VIDEO GAME!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

So we are supposed to feel bad for the poor postal worker making $30 an hour to start? Good for them, right?? Yeah I don't care either until I have to pay almost an effing dollar to send a freaking birthday card......It wouldn't be that high if they didn't pay their employees so much money to SORT MAIL!!!

Their job is one of the easiest jobs on the planet, you could literally hire a trained monkey to do it, yet the pay is rediculous...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The fact is that the countries that are doing well have more efficient governments then their businesses IN ALL CASES.

We are a nation of ignorant fools that can't think or even care about REAILITY. THIS ISN'T A VIDEO GAME!!!

I have to stop you here.

From your list:
2nd most efficient government: Japan.

Are you seriously saying Japan is doing well? Please, get your head out of your ass before stating things as facts. There's more to be said on some of those other countries as well.

But, sadly, you have proven already not to be capable of critical thinking and I won't bother you with information about the others. Just simply picking out Japan for one is more than enough.

Hint: "Debt to GDP ratio for Japan", "Fukushima disaster". Just a few things here.. there is alot more but I can't be bothered with someone who just throws out facts like it's nothing.

Edit: Also, nobody ever said business is more efficient, at least not corporate ones. Small to medium sized businesses are efficient because of their size. A small workforce can adapt better than a larger one, common sense methinks. Moreover, many talented guys occupy positions in these types of businesses (or started them) in most cases.

Really putting all "businesses" in one category is weird, but well, maybe that's just me.

edit on 14-2-2013 by longtimelurkerr because: More Info's

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
We dont even really need much of a postal service these days. The majority of peoples bills, documents and personal stuff are sent via email now, so its not surprising countries are cutting back on postal services.
edit on 14-2-2013 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If the postal service was privatized rates would double,employee pay and benefits would be cut by at least half, and the quality of service would drop.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Dear FyreByrd,

S&F. Something else for people to consider is the loss of land lines and the postal service will mean your communications are not protected. Private companies that transport mail or packages do not have the same restrictions on looking inside your mail as does the post office. Same goes for land lines versus cell phones.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Personally I do my share to keep the USPS in business. I rent a PO box in addition to receiving mail at my house. I send packages at least twice per month via their priority mail flat rate shipping services (which is actually cheaper and much faster than UPS or FedEX) and I buy plenty of stamps as even though I do a lot by e-mail I still "snail mail" birthday and holiday cards, invitations, thank you cards, etc. as I like "the personal touch". Also I choose not to "save a tree"- I like to receive actual printed bills in the mail so when it's time to pay I have something physically here to remind me so none are forgotten.

I still know many, many people who do not have internet service (and not all of them are Seniors either) who depend on the USPS every day. For those who think that we could fare just fine without the USPS what do you suggest we replace it with? Many cannot afford computers and internet service to pay bills and stay in touch, and many small towns don't even have libraries much less publicly accessible computers to use- even if they knew how to use them.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

So we are supposed to feel bad for the poor postal worker making $30 an hour to start? Good for them, right?? Yeah I don't care either until I have to pay almost an effing dollar to send a freaking birthday card......It wouldn't be that high if they didn't pay their employees so much money to SORT MAIL!!!

Their job is one of the easiest jobs on the planet, you could literally hire a trained monkey to do it, yet the pay is rediculous...

A whole dollar? Dang, you've got it rough! Without the postal service, how much would it cost to send that birthday card by UPS or FedEx, pretty much your only other options?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Can't anyone see that it's not the government that is the problem it's BIG MONEY/BUSINESS that is causing 99% of the troubles in the world.
Is there a difference between the two?
or are they the one and the same?

Kill the mailbox.
Save the trees.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Its was almost comical when I saw the postmaster on Fox News several days ago say- we have to stop Saturday delivery so that we don't have to raise rates.
This right after they DOUBLED the price for international shipping! It now costs me over $6 to send a
tiny 1 ounce almost flat bubble mailer package internationally! Go up a couple ounces, its $8.88.
Its almost like they Don't want us exporting more product!

Also, I never understood the arguement that they have less revenue since the internet.
Because of the internet, WAY more packages then ever are being shipped. If anything, I would think
they would be doing better.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Maybe this information would be useful too: www.gao.gov...

USPS urgently needs to restructure to address its current and long-term financial viability. USPS has not been able to cut costs fast enough to offset the accelerated decline in mail volume and revenue—particularly costs related to its workforce, retail and processing networks, and delivery services. To achieve financial viability, USPS must align its costs with revenues, generate sufficient earnings to finance capital investment, and manage its debt.

At least the USPS can get free financial advice from the GAO. I don't think FEDEX and the other private carriers do.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Actually the thing about the retirement accounts makes sense. EVERY company that offers retirement will eventually be corrupted by it. At some point there are more retirees than employees and the company fails. This is what happened to the automakers. It is what would happen to the post office. No company can afford retirement plans. Those that offer them are doomed. ALL of them.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Over half the mail they deliver is junk mail. Save trees, get rid of USPS. It is too bloated and just a burden on America. Their pay and benefits are not reflective of the reality of our economy. They are putting America deeper in debt. Privatize and restructure it to be sustainable. Let the employees currently working for USPS stay on. Paper is going bye bye anyway. USPS is on life support. Let it die already.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

What you don't seem to understand (not that it was the point of this thread to begin with) is that you don't create better wages for everyone by undermining the wages of another. By supporting those people, in whatever position, that make a good living wage with good benefits, is how you build a society where everyone gets a fair cut of the pie not just the Monopolists in big business.

You may not make what postal workers do - but your chances of ever making those wages goes down every time we lose another well paying (usually Union) job.

You don't pull your self up by pulling someone else down, that just leads to everyone drowning.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Is there a difference between the two?
or are they the one and the same?

Kill the mailbox.
Save the trees.

No they are not the same though today for all practical purposes they are and, my friends, that is the very definition of Fasciam. My point is that the root of this problem lies with Big Business not with the Government (which is what Big Business wants us to believe).

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
Its was almost comical when I saw the postmaster on Fox News several days ago say- we have to stop Saturday delivery so that we don't have to raise rates.
This right after they DOUBLED the price for international shipping! It now costs me over $6 to send a
tiny 1 ounce almost flat bubble mailer package internationally! Go up a couple ounces, its $8.88.

Also, I never understood the arguement that they have less revenue since the internet.
Because of the internet, WAY more packages then ever are being shipped. If anything, I would think

Hyperbole alert!! Not doubled, more a 48% raise which is high enough but hardly doubled. $6.00 doubled (x2) = $12.00. Check your math.

USPS revenues are down because Big Business is sending more and more bills, statements electronically. Revenues are down because there is less junk mail going through the post office and now it's online. The USPS is still the shipper of choice for small businesses that aren't big enough to negotiate special rates with private shippers.
edit on 14-2-2013 by FyreByrd because: to make the math simplier

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

A whole dollar? Dang, you've got it rough! Without the postal service, how much would it cost to send that birthday card by UPS or FedEx, pretty much your only other options?

I think FedEx would start at around $9.00 and I don't think UPS takes flats at all... Don't really know I use, personal and business, USPS for most everything, have for years and am very satisfied with their service.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
Over half the mail they deliver is junk mail. Save trees, get rid of USPS. It is too bloated and just a burden on America. Their pay and benefits are not reflective of the reality of our economy. They are putting America deeper in debt. Privatize and restructure it to be sustainable. Let the employees currently working for USPS stay on. Paper is going bye bye anyway. USPS is on life support. Let it die already.

You privatize the post office you better home you do not live in a small town because that would not be profitable and service ended. And you hate juck mail? You wait and see what a private company would do with your mailing address to make money. And we all know that shopping on the internet is the future and the UPS is positioned perfectly for that. And you want to talk about pay and benefits not reflecting reality you go look at what the Corporate people in any private company that is losing money are making.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot

Hyperbole alert!! Not doubled, more a 48% raise which is high enough but hardly doubled. $6.00 doubled (x2) = $12.00. Check your math.

USPS revenues are down because Big Business is sending more and more bills, statements electronically. Revenues are down because there is less junk mail going through the post office and now it's online. The USPS is still the shipper of choice for small businesses that aren't big enough to negotiate special rates with private shippers.
edit on 14-2-2013 by FyreByrd because: to make the math simplier

Did you read my post? I said it "NOW costs over $6". What are you talking about "check my math"? It used to cost me about Just over $3 for a 1 ounce tiny package... or it might have been under, and now its over $6. I've been shipping internationally for over 10 years and although my statement wasn't exact, I don't need to check my math. $3 x double is $6 right? I can get you the exact numbers if I need to show you 2 + 2 doesn't equal 3.

edit on 14-2-2013 by SnakeShot because: noyb

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I understand where you are coming from, but the simple fact is that most things the postal service does, the internet does better. And that is crippling the system. I believe that as long as there is internet, the postal service will always have troubles making ends meet.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join