It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there were a Chinese trade embargo, USA would collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ok lets just have fun.

Tomorrow you turned on your TV and discovered that China has stopped the export of all products to America. Thats it. Done.

What kind of crippling effect would this have on america?

I would venture to say that the average american household has upwards of 50-60% of chinese imports. From the remote control to the monitor that you're using to view this post.

But in turn, it would nearly paralyze China.

[edit on 10/30/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Considering the consumer-driven society that we are, and that almost everything I see nowadays is made in China, the question is, how could all those Chinese eat cheap shoes? Do you serve lousy sneakers with red wine or white?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Rather than just posting a question, it is customary to giove your opinion in detail as what you feel would happen in the scenario you just described.

Thanks
FredT

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
There are lot's of countries in eastern europe and asia who would love to export their cheap electronics, cloned dvd players and clothes to a wider audience. If the Chinese placed an embargo on the US they would loose their position in the cheap stuff market and that's it.
I do not know how it's in the USA but most of that stuff I have here is labled as: Made in Taiwan.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
If China were to initiate trade embargos against the US, then my guess would be that we would finally have a clear winner of "The Opium Wars"

Oh, no never mind, Afghanistan is US property now. Doh!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The Issue quickly would become not one of consumer items and shortages but one of a steep decline in the value of the dollar as China dumps its huge dollar holdings on the currency markets.

Can you say instant depression ?

China and the US economies are like inseperable siamese twins at the moment.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
yeah, being in china i would say if we could not export our goods we would have quite a hefty problem on our hands...as it is now there are so many restrictions on our exports because there is so many goods to be sent it just floods foreign markets......they make some crazy stuff over here that never gets to foreign markets too...oh yeah i forgot to go buy the new mp3 player they have...128 megs for only 48 yuan, thats 6 dollars!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
China is the new get rich quick scheme for the rich elite, american and otherwise.

There are many ways to cash in on this upcoming cow, and a not so obvious indirect result of boosting their economy was driving up their demand for oil. When their demand increased, Big Oil just got bigger.
Huge money play that probably won't go away anytime soon, and will probably only increase. Big Oil is laughing itself silly all the way to the bank.

It took 30 years for the US to suck a dent into the Saudi oil reserves, but they've tipped the scales on OPEC as repayment for the 70's oil shortage.

Gentleman, the dragon has been busy and no its not China, she's for desert.

join