It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if there was never an American war of independance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Fellow members.

This is, obviously, a total hypothetical situation, so please stay with me.
Let us say, that during the British occupation of North America, King George granted seats in the House of Commons and ultimately, the House of Lords, to the Colonial politic? So, what I am saying is, if America was taxed with fair representation, how differently would history have panned out.

Please give this some serious thought. I would truly value your opinions.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Taxation was not the only issue that the Americans had a problem with. It was just the catalyst.

There would have eventually been a move for independence no matter what the King did. Once westward expansion happened it was inevitable. The country is simply too resource rich for people to give their spoils to a country so far away.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Things wouldn't be much different than they are today.
Look at Countries such as Austraila, Canada. They never Seceded completely from England, but are seen as Sovereign Countries with merely Formal ties with England.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I see both your points of view and value the time you took to respond. Yes,I think a move to independance would have eventually surfaced. However, I would like to think that it would have followed a more peaceful route, and would the United States of America stayed a part of the Commonwealth?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

We'd all be drinking Tea as the National beverage of choice....speaking in British accents of various forms...and bashing the next country over.....

Des

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
No because of the slavery issue.

Britain would have demanded the South give up their slavery practice and they would have refused which would have ended up in conflict.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Nothing wrong with tea. LOL
However, what about good old fish and chips, eh???

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

As it ultimately did. But the war would have been on different footing, with, I assume, the Union and the British fighting side-by-side. In that case, I would ask you, how do you think that would have shaped modern day USA?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The map would look a lot different, the french and spanish owned most of the land in what is now the U.S. I wonder if they would have sold that land to england like they did to the U.S.? would england have even tried to buy the land to expand their colonies in north america?
It seems like france/england/spain were always at war with each other so a land sale doesn`t seem very likely. Russia would still probably own alaska, mexico would still probably own most of the western U.S. and be a world power now.
The axis would have probably won WW1 and there never would have been a WW2.

History would be so much different than we can even imagine.

ETA: you got me curious so I did a little googling:

The Louisiana Purchase (French: Vente de la Louisiane "Sale of Louisiana") was the acquisition by the United States of America in 1803 of 828,000 square miles (2,140,000 km2) of France's claim to the territory of Louisiana.

18 May 1803 - Napoleonic Wars: The U.K. redeclares war on France after France refuses to withdraw from Dutch territory.

nope, france wasn`t going to sell england any land in 1803 because they were at war with england.
Undoubtedly fighting would have taken place in north america between France and the english (colonist), someone was going to lose some land in north america at the end of the war either the french or the english.

edit on 14-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Thank you. An interesting angle that I did not entertain. Thought provoking.

Star from me.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It would be the same as Canada and Australia. It is highly likely that canada and the US would have become one country. The UK would have taken at least 100 possible 150 years of mineral resources thus making the UK much richer. The US would have joined WW1 and WW2 much earlier.

But most importantly:
1. They would spell things correctly!
2. Drive on left.
3. Have no president but a prime minister and UK style parliament
4. Proper beer the way it has been brewed for hundreds of years.
5. Chips not fries.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Actually I believe the Union would have fought with the South and we would have had the revolution. I really don't see Americans fighting along side the British no matter what the issue was.

Also, the only reason the South did not receive aid from other countries is because Russia had parked her war fleet off our coast and threatened to sink any ships that broke the embargo.

Russia at that time was not a great ally of the British so if the British were fighting a war with the South the Russians wouldn't have blockaded and probably would have aided the South as well as the French. The South probably would have ended up winning.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

It would most likely be like England. There's no other details to add.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Then you would all be talking like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins..saying stuff like.."cor blimey, Hows your father" whilst kicking the sole of one foot with the other in a side kick jumpy fashion...and your teeth would be rotting out your head....but on the upside you would know where to find Bulgaria and Mongolia without the use of a atlas...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Okay, let us go one step further. America remains loyal to the Crown and relations stay stable.
How do you think the global map would look today?

Sorry, I know that I am being provocative, but please humour, (humor) for our cousins, me.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I see what you are saying, but why are you so sure that none of the American states at the time would be unwilling to fight alongside the British?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

Nothing wrong with tea. LOL
However, what about good old fish and chips, eh???

I'll take your Beef Pasty instead.....

Des

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Nah, full of horse meat my friend.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The map would look the same.

Britain, in the end, lost all of her power execpt for wortlhess titles. America may still be loyal, on paper, but we would be independent, same as Australia.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

I see what you are saying, but why are you so sure that none of the American states at the time would be unwilling to fight alongside the British?

Because Americans are countrymen. Its ok if we screw each other over but God Forbid if another country tries to do it.

The first man shot in the revolution was a black man by the name of Crispus Attucks. Arguably he was a "free black" but we all know how blacks were treated back then.

The moment he was shot he no longer was a black man but he was an American, the same as anyone else. We are fiercly loyal to each other when we come under attack. You saw our patriotism ooozing out of every pore when 9/11 happened.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join