It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate typing on touch screens? New tactile screen technolgy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Typing on touch screens for me, just 'feels' odd. I also tend to make more mistakes while typing due to any number of reasons - the screen may be too sensitive or maybe I'm just too klutzy, but I think it's primarily due to no feedback from the screen.

A new company, Tactus Technology has brought something interesting to the world of touch: buttons that actually rise up from the screen when activated.

Here is a YT clip from engadget.com taking a device with the technology for a spin:

I think this could be a welcome option especially for those that need a bit more 'tactile' feedback for their busy fingers!
edit on 14-2-2013 by explorer14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well this is promising, especially for old-schoolers like me who learned to touch-type on an actual typewriter. I type about 60 WPM without looking at my hands, but little bumps on the 'j' and 'f' keys tell my fingers they are in the correct position. Without this, my fingers can gravitate all over the place.

Thanks for posting hope!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This would be most useful for vehicular applications where eyes really need to be somewhere else. Haptics is something that really shouldn't be overlooked when it comes to certain types of UIs.

That's why I see a lot of current generation fancy touch-screen systems as a big failure when compared to the logically placed buttons and dials for my radio and climate control in my older model car. I can reach and tell exactly what I'm doing by position and feel only, and people in newer fancy-schmancy cars can't.

Of course if the UIs use touch, they shouldn't change state until there's a positive haptic feedback of some form. Don't want a button registering as pressed if I'm using the sense of touch to feel out where the button next to it is. It means that such a device will also have to register pressure sensitivity in addition to location. Hopefully people developing this stuff have figured that out and don't cheap-out and cut corners in that regard.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I agree with the need to 'feel' and it would be good if the devices could differentiate between a delibrate push and a inquisitive type of feel - like when your feeling around for a particular area or button.

Quite amazing the hydraulics involved I would imagine.

It seems there is quite a difference between what is being called 'gestures' and regular plain old button pushing!

June E. Botich of Naples, Florida, patented modified versions of the “F” and “J” keys to aid typists in 2002. Since then, these tactile guides have become standard on almost all computer and laptop keyboards.

ehow.com/june_botich

edit on 15-2-2013 by explorer14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
A Utah teen is the current record holder, sending a 160-character standardized message in 42.22 seconds.

It just takes practice my friend.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for the Emotiv and software so I can control my computer with my thoughts and maybe occasionally have to use my voice for voice control and as a last resort I would have to use the keyboard. And by then Windows and Linux would be AI so it would know me as a user and what I plan to do and in case it doesn't listen or gets hacked I could always just turn it off manually.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 18/2/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I always misspell things when typing on your touch screen phone.Moreover typing "hello" is so irritating.I really despise the person who invented touch screen phones.

new topics

top topics

join