It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White South Africans - Is it true that a large majority of white South Africans supported Apartheid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hi guys

White Afrikaans speaking male here, born in 1969, so I was in school with the 1976 riots due to the policy of Afrikaans in Black schools. Had my upbringing in the Dutch Reformed church (cornerstone or instigator of apartheid)

Although my parents were conservative with regards to my upbringing I was never forced to prescribe to certain set ways, and discussions of political nature were quite common in our house, even from an early age.

My parents taught me to question everything, and follow what I see as right.

I was lucky enough that I was in an English pre-primary school, and in a dual medium (English and Afrikaans) primary school, so that enriched my upbringing (English friends never took anything for granted)

I agree that the majority of white Afrikaans speaking South Africans supported Apartheid, but I think it was due to indoctrination from State, Church, Schools etc. Being a minority population it is my belief that apartheid was a method of "self-preservation" and a method of keeping the Afrikaans people as a "close-knit" family so that the do not die out due to acculturation and being assimilated into other ethnic groups.

<< 1   >>

join