It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

System Shock 2 re-released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The classic FPS/RPG System Shock 2 got re-released on GOG.com today.

I've been waiting for this for over a decade.System Shock 2 is considered one of the best games of all time. It's impact (and the impact of the original) on video games is huge. BioShock was hugely influenced by System Shock 2.

I've never been able to play it. When I was little, I got it for Christmas but it wouldn't run on my computer, so I've made a few more attempts over the years to get it, with no luck. When I found out about GOG, I was sure they would have it. When they didn't, all I could do was wait. Now, it's here.

It's coming to Steam soon too.

For those interested in learning a little bit of why it took such a popular game so long to be available for download this interview explains it a little bit.

And for those who can't stand old graphics, I think there's some mods out there to spruce up the engine a bit.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Nice!
I just finished a track where I used Shodan's voice as samples

Love that crazy biatch. ^_^

www.soundcloud.com/1000faces/are-you-afraid-of-the-dark

edit on 14-2-2013 by purplemonkeydishwasher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

I remember playing this in the dark with a friend and screaming every time we heard "i am but one but we are the many!" What a great game. I wonder if the recent thief patch that added 32bit color and higher resolution support might make it way to ss2, same engine after all.
edit on 14-2-2013 by steppenwolf86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

This game was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

Played it in the same dark room with headphones on with a co-worker during the early days of working DNF and it amplified it to hear each other's reactions and wonder what it was the other had just experienced. It heightened the tension of an already tense immersion.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
You guys dont wanna play this game..

You wanna play THIS game --> www.reddit.com...

It's the same System Shock 2 game but with lots of graphic and sound mods that bring this game kicking and screaming into the 20th Century.

More mods here: www.systemshock.org...

So go buy this game from GOG then download and install all the mods you can get. You will thank me for the tip.

Comparison of Mods vs no mods:

edit on 14-2-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: (no reason given)

top topics

join