It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban knives and cars now - 3rd Person Dies After Guam Crash-Stabbing Rampage

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I don't live in the US anymore and didn't see this story hit the headlines online. Correct me if I'm wrong but It sure doesn't look like it got the same attention that people killing with guns has received.

Now if you go on the logic of gun control advocates then we should ban knives and cars too. It's now up to 3 people dead and 11 injured.

3rd Person Dies After Guam Crash-Stabbing Rampage

De Soto, of Tamuning, is accused of plowing into several people with his gray Toyota Yaris late Tuesday as he drove onto a sidewalk and into a convenience store at the Outrigger hotel in the Tumon district. Authorities say he then got out of his car and started stabbing people he came across.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Why should we ban knives? They have multiple uses other than inflicting maximum damage on another living being. They can be used in the kitchen, out in the campsite, they have millions of uses.

Can you tell me what the primary purpose of an AR-15 is? What is it designed to do?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Crazy people do crazy things. Knives and cars are not a hot issue, so you're going to get people saying,"It's not the same". But, yeah, it is. A person intent on doing harm will use whatever is handy. It's not the tool, it's the person using it. But, anti gun folk just lump us all together.
edit on 14-2-2013 by DAVID64 because: spelling error

Muse7 - I have a .22 rifle that is semi auto, one pull of the trigger equals one shot, same as an AR. [There is a .22 version of the AR] The ONLY difference is cosmetic. There are other rifles chambered for the same round as the AR, they are semi auto and fire as many rounds. The ONLY difference is cosmetic. They single out that gun because it looks scary and resembles a military weapon. Key word is resembles.
edit on 14-2-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Totally agree, cars have a purpose and so do knives. Guns are designed for killing, nothing more. You don't sit down to dinner and shoot your steak apart.

Ban stupid threads like this.....
edit on 14/2/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Crazy people do crazy things. Knives and cars are not a hot issue, so you're going to get people saying,"It's not the same". But, yeah, it is. A person intent on doing harm will use whatever is handy. It's not the tool, it's the person using it. But, anti gun folk just lump us all together.
edit on 14-2-2013 by DAVID64 because: spelling error

Yes a crazy person intent on doing harm will use whatever is available to them. That's why most of the crazy people here in the USA like to use high powered rifles.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

reply to post by Todzer

The so-called "primary purpose" of a thing is moot if you're concern is the saving of lives.

The "primary purpose" of an object in my hand could be to cause bleeding cancerous sores but if that object only affects X number of people annually then concern over it must take a back seat to an object that affects 30*X number of people annually.

That is, if the point is saving lives.

When I hear the "primary purpose" position it tells me the mouth its coming from isnt so much concerned with saving lives as that mouth is simply hating an object.

But keep using it. It fits in with all the other empty arguments like "militia clause" and "WMD's for everyone" and "need".

Someday you could a great political leader of a sea of idiots like "shoulder thing that goes up" McCarty.

Which brings me to a little tangent. Why when one politician says something so utterly absurd like "legitimate rape" that politician is soundly beaten to a pulp for his ignorance but when another politician backs her bill with "shoulder things that go up" there is little if any backlash to weather?

Selectively punishing ignorance I guess.

edit on 14-2-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I apologize I was simply replying to the OP, obviously he created this thread to compare knives to guns.

Perhaps you should create a thread for your object that causes bleeding cancerous sores? Maybe we could have a discussion on it?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I don't see any response to my statement, wondering why you replied to me? I simply said that both cars and knives have a purpose, what are the purpose of guns?

Threads like this pop up every so often and are all the same, but the OP obviously doesn't realise that you use these items everyday.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

You argued "purpose" as muse7 did and you're still doing it with the statement "use everyday."

Purpose is moot.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

How? You use cars to travel everyday and use a knife everyday, are you killing things everyday?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

I explained it pretty thoroughly in my earlier post.

I'm getting the impression you're just going to ignore it and stay on your track. That's fine.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I am staying on track to the OP, are you? A pointless thread was posted about banning knives and guns and I gave a explanation as to why it is wrong. You are going totally off OP talking about politics.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
That's why most of the crazy people here in the USA like to use high powered rifles.

Wow - If you are saying that people who have firearms at all are crazy and when you say "use high powered rifles" if you mean for hunting - I would agree that is true as it is often more humane to use a larger caliber round for a cleaner kill.

However, what I think you are saying since you used the phrase "crazy people like to use high powered rifles" (not including the phrase for murder makes it hard to understand your point BTW).

If that is what you are saying you are demonstrating your ignorance on the topic and a simple regard for the facts.

As you can see by this childlike representation most murders are committed using handguns at 6,009, followed by knives at 1817, then fists at 869, followed by blunt objects at 674, then rifles (hunting type, which may be "high powered", maybe not) at 453, lastly there is "military style" or as the PC crew likes to call them "assault rifles” at a whopping 18.

So, you are;

25 times more likely to be murdered by someone using a hunting rifle or shotgun than an "assault rifle"
37 times more likely to be murdered by someone using a blunt object than an "assault rifle"
48 times more likely to be murdered by someone using their fists than an "assault rifle"
100 times more likely to be murdered by someone using a knife than an "assault rifle"
333 times more likely to be murdered by someone using a handgun than an "assault rifle"

While the definition of a "high powered" rifle is very much dependent upon whom you ask I would wager if you ask about the .223 or .556 which is the most common caliber for the AR platform type weapons you won’t get much of a consensus that it meets the definition.

So ole D. Frankenstein wants to ban the AR-15 why? It's scary looking...is about all I can figure.

Based on the list and information above ban people’s fists before that as they are used almost 48 times more often in a murder.

Bottom line most murders are committed with handguns not “crazy people” with “high powered” rifles…

Lay off the Piers Morgan for a few days and call us in the morning.

edit on 14/2/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yawn, here we go again..............I really was hoping this argument had died down on ATS.

Pro-gun are never going to convince anti-gun.

Anti-gun are never going to convince pro-gun.

All we are going to see is the same arguments being thrown back and forward and more clutter on the ATS recent posts list.

Enough already!

Each to their own.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Add doctors to that list.

In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer
reply to post by muse7

Totally agree, cars have a purpose and so do knives. Guns are designed for killing, nothing more. You don't sit down to dinner and shoot your steak apart.

Ban stupid threads like this.....

I would say ban stupid posts like this. I've often had to shoot my dinner before I could sit down and eat it.

So yes...Guns do have a purpose, they are just not used as often as my kitchware or truck.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by furono

sounds like something out of a GTA game lol

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well it's a good thing that I live in a world where I don't have to shoot my food and I doubt you HAVE to either. You are connected to the internet after all, I'm pretty sure there is a shop close to you

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I always thought gun could be used for hunting game, protecting vermin from farmlands or used in defense.

You don't always have to pull the trigger, most times just pointing a gun at some one is enough to stop most crime as the criminal does not want to die. If a person is trained well in using firearms then there is always the option of wounding potential threats. Guns used in war are probably the defacto reason why guns had been made and then filtered into enterprise for public enjoyment.

I do not know much at all about guns, they don't interest me. I do like swords though.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

edit on 14-2-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: double post. sorry, blame the wi-fi loading time.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join