It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Owl Discovered On Indonesian Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Happy Valentine's Day, ATS!

From Discovery News:

A newly discovered owl species lives on just one Indonesian island and whistles a one-note “song” that rhymes with the name of its island. The Rinjani Scops owl is found on the island of Lombok, according to a paper published in the latest PLoS ONE. Its song sounds like “pok.” (Although sometimes it makes a “pooook” sound too.) Its scientific name is Otus jolandae, after the wife of a researcher.

Its not a new owl, per say; before, it was confused with another owl because their plumage is similar. They apparently determined the owl was different based on its vocalizations.

Here's a pic of the cutie:

I love when they discover new animals. Sometimes its easy to forget that there are new species out there, just waiting to be found.

Enjoy, ATS!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Great another Bird I can add to my "Animals I want to eat" list

Jk smylee
Hope you are doing fine

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Owls are probaly my favorite bird species so Im glad they found another one. My favorite is the barn owl, years ago I volunteered at our local nature center and they had a pair. Just beautiful.

edit on 14-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Awesome.

Beautiful creature.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Thanks Smyleegrl, my daughter loves owls that pic got a smile out of her this morning!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So cool, something I can give a hoot about

SnF

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I sure do love me some hooters. All shapes and sizes in fact. The discovery of new hooters gives me hope that nature will keep on keepin' on, even if we treat other species like objects instead of living things. Nature deserves more respect. So lets respect the hooters.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Very cool! I love owls. Just something about them that always captures my interest. Beautiful creatures...wish I saw more of them here in GA.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Just adorable! Last summer at night I kept hearing a weird sound, not your typical whooo whooo sound. It was more like a weird haunting sound. It was an owl. LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Wow, really nice to see we are still discovering and not just bringing more of Earths gifts to extinction.

The bond between man and animal is a beautiful one, and hopefully one day enough people will see that their greed and hate not only destroys them, but destroys us in the process.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

O, Rly?

sorry had to throw that in there. Not too many owl topics.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenJack

Owls are probaly my favorite bird species so Im glad they found another one. My favorite is the barn owl, years ago I volunteered at our local nature center and they had a pair. Just beautiful.

edit on 14-2-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

If you have ever in your life seen a burrowing owl, especially one in the wild your life will be forever changed. A full sized adult is smaller than a robin, they nest on the ground in holes.

www.naturecanada.ca...]h ttp://www.naturecanada.ca/endangered_know_our_species_burrowingowl.asp]http://www.naturecanada.ca/endangered_know_our_species_burrowingowl.asp[e ditby]edit on 14-2-2013 by bronco73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

As much as I love owls, I'm pretty sold on the idea that they are, in fact, bad luck.

I was at a friends new house he just purchased not long ago. We were bbq-ing outback when my girl friend noticed 3 or 4 baby owls in the trees. We all thought they were fake because they didn't move.

Well, we finally saw them move and make noises, and my friend who noticed them said, "Owls are the harbingers of death. Someone will die soon unfortunately. Probably 3 deaths in a row" We all said she was a weirdo and being creepy. Not but twenty minutes later, another friend who was at the party got a phone call saying her cousin was just swept away at the beach along with a friend. They couldn't find him. Another 5 minutes after that, she got another call saying her cousin's body had been recovered smashed up; his friend was lucky enough to survive the undertow. Then the day after a family friend died suddenly.

So that thoroughly creeped us out! I love how owls are so mysterious and cute, but now I just feel so eerie when I see one.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
its an interesting looking bird, ive found owls to be some of the most interesting birds out there so hearing about a new species is always good

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Aww he is adorable, thank you for posting, Smylee!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bronco73

Awwwww... how freakin cute . Im not a gusher but man those things are adorable .

Coung.... Coungh.... ( readjust to manly voice) Ya those owls are pretty bad ass.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

is its name MOLACH? cause thats who he looks like to me ^^ cutie my ass.

E V I L
edit on 16-2-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Very cool
Thanks for sharing
I can't believe we are still able to find new animals
Amazing

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Owls are awesome creatures but where I live they are dumb as hell. I'll probably hit one or two a year in my car... Are they smack into the side of my car.

Reminds me of the story I have. Riding down a dark swamp road in the middle of summer, windows rolled down, music turned up. An owl flys into my car by mistake from my back window.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join