It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Within

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Why is the idea of going within, always met with such skepticism and doubt? Why is it automatically shot down? What causes people to utterly dismiss it? I fail to understand this.

I see teenagers cutting themselves, and wishing they would die. I see depressed people everywhere. I see people wishing their life was different, that their past didn't haunt them, or that they weren't anxious of the future.

I see people who are nervous and shy, and introverted, that seclude themselves away from society because they don't believe they fit in, they don't believe they are worthy.

I see people that are insecure, and hold onto everything they can get without giving anything back, constantly in fear of losing it all.

I see people strugging with their daily lives, and their relationships with others because of money, or some sort of stress.

I see people addicted to drugs, who believe that it's their only escape, their only way out of their problems.

I see people that drink all the time, and hate the fact that they do it, and wish they would stop, but then go right back doing it again.

I see people that are searching for answers as to who they are, or what they want out of life, or in envy of others who have what they want...

But then, when someone mentions that going within, can solve all of these problems. It's met with a very firm argument that says BS. It's shot down, ignored, and never to be thought about by that person again.

Even though its the solution to their problem.

What causes this level of ignorance? What causes this close mindedness? Why aren't they at least curious to see if it will work? Why shut it down without trying it? It's not something that will work the first time, just like you can't ride a bike the first time. But if you want to solve your problems, you have to work at them, just a little bit. It's not even a lot of work. It's doing nothing. Thats how much work is involved. DOING NOTHING.

But its dismissed, ignored, shunned, thought to be stupid, and totally irrelevant, just like this thread will be.

Can anyone explain this mentality to me? I would very much like to understand. I am open minded enough to learn this. I do not fear the answer. I will not judge the answer. I just want to come to an understanding of where the basis for this ignorance comes from. How is the ego, so sure of itself? How does curiosity not win out? If you are tired of your problems, tired of your life not working out, tired of living in a box, how can you not explore within?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Like meditation?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I do not understand, what is going within?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti72

Some people call it contemplating their navel.
I think he means meditating and seeking answers internally
I do it daily and though on some occasions I get little from it, other days I am astounded at what I see and hear.
You would be amazed at the synchronicity I notice most days with things I have visualised and things that happen, most people call this deja vu, I think its deeper and that on some level we can either control our future or certainly forsee some of it, which gives us a way to prepare.
And I dont mean seeing the lottery numbers or knowing of an earthquake in advance, just small mundane things that after they happen you remember you saw such a thing in a dream or during meditation.
And I like the OP know thatr people are gonna flame me for my thoughts. Thats fine thats their prerogative.
I'm happy with me and to me that's all that counts.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Going within, isn't what I would call meditation, because meditation has so much dogma surrounding it that people tend to shy away from it just because its related to a religion of some sort. It has a bad reputation to meditate... People think you want to become a monk or something.. People see it as strange or weird, and the ego, shuts it out.

Going within, is something different. Going within, is sitting down, closing your eyes, and thinking about your problems. You bring all of the things that are bothering you to the front of your mind. You pay attention to them, and then you ask them why they bother you. Why they affect you. You try to locate where in your body these thoughts come from, and you may find that it feels like pain, or discomfort.

When we are excited, we get butterflys in our tummy. When we are having a good time, we feel light hearted, which is felt in the heart. When we have something hard to say, we get a lump in our throat. When we are nervous, we get a nervous stomach.

Our thoughts do not originate in our brains. Our brains are simply the processor, reading the thoughts, from the motherboard, the body.

So when we have problems in our life, we can listen to our thoughts, learn how to track them back to where they originate, and then ask why they bother you. By doing this, you will release those thoughts from you. You will find a sense of peace, a sense of relief, and your problems will suddenly become much easier to solve.

All it takes is about 10 minutes a day to just sit there and do this. Its literally doing nothing, and costs you no money. Unlike cigarettes, or booze, or drugs, or some form of entertainment to distract your mind.

Going within is a very powerful tool that all humans have the ability to do. If you find that it leads you to meditation and altered states of consciousness, all the power to you. But this is not meditation... it is going within, and looking at your problems rather than being a victim of them.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Starred and flagged Mate, I have meditated on an off for over 20 years and I am now noticing different distinct levels that I can see, its like my minds eye jumps forward and I feel as I have gone to another level, I see amazing buildings, strange faces and feel like I am not here on earth at times. Other times just amazing flowing patterns.
Now these patterns I can see after a meditation in the dark and can touch them and alter their shape and flow like liquid in a sense, I also feel an amazing energy in the tips of my fingers when I touch it.
But many people will call this imagination, and they would be wrong as after 20 years I know it is far realer than they know. Point of fact these are energy beings who we exchange energy with, there are those who will take advantage and take more than they should, they are negative you need to prepare yourself against psychic attack.
I am afraid there are good and bad everywhere, including the astral plane.
Well, its half past nine pm here in Melbourne and I am up at 5.30 for work, I am off to meditate.
Cheers mate and I agree whole heartedly on what you are saying.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
That would be part of meditating but I'm not hereto argue.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Its my enemy number one taboo, this is.......
no one else has the answers but yourself.......
maybe thats why the taboo,, you know,, you have to get pass it....

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Perhaps people come to the conclusion that everthing and/or everyone outside of themselves has caused their problems. I do have first-hand experience with this. I chose to be an intovert because I was thrust into a situation where that seemed the only option. This self-impossed condition lasted for 8 years and it's repercussions for another 17.
In 4th grade I was called by name over the intercom (very humiliating) every week to go to the guidance counselor. I was in a counseling/role-playing situation with 5 other children who were not nice kids. These were bullies, class disruptors...you name it.
Up until this time I believed that I was a good kid. I did well in school. I was polite, did my work, never disruptive, eagerly volunteered for projects and reports.....I loved school. Hell, I even played school at home with my toys.
I never understood why I was being sent to these group sessions. I was never told. I believed that my parents knew. Perhaps there was something "wrong" with me.

I changed. I wanted to be seen as "normal". I cracked the books harder and focused on blending in with the crowd. Not to stand out in any way, shape or form. To be invisible. Forgetable. I got my wish but I was constantly haunted by this. I didn't like being this way....I still felt "normal". Long after graduation I was in a social setting with a favorite teacher of mine. She, my mother, and I were sitting together and I asked her why I was sent to these sessions....to please go into my old records. (sorry, getting a little teary for the girl that I could have been) My mother was shocked. She and dad never knew that I had to go to these sessions. My old teacher contacted me the following week.
I was in these sessions to be a role model for these kids.
For the next 17 years I fought my insecurities. It was hard. It was so easy to fall back into the patterns I had set for myself because they were safe. Many phrases come to mind and some even overlap for me. Going within. Reality is what you make it. I AM. People become comfortable. I did. It's safe there because it was "created by you for you". It takes a big leap of faith in yourself to be the change. It takes courage to adopt this as a new comfort zone. Everyday. On purpose.
People scoff at new ways of looking at/dealing with themselves. But once a person realizes they can overcome and seek the answers inside themselves by whatever means they choose then they can become an inspiration for others. An inspiration for themselves. Thank you ShadowFox.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Ok, here we go. First of all what exactly does "going within" mean to you? If I consider a heroin addict, the advice to "go within" alone might not do very much.

I can only assume that you refer to meditation, and I think that is a good thing. I think meditating is not a solution for the problems you describe though. In fact if you´re an alcoholic, meditation should be the least of your worries.

Maybe you should try to see things from the perspective of others a tad more. Not every character does even want to meditate. A lot of people maybe shouldn´t even meditate and look "within", for some it works to repress stuff.

You can´t just say "go within" to everyone and think it works for all different characters in the same way.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I understand your frustration and that's what I recieved from you OP. The state of affair in this world is not healthy and your list of examples are legitamate. I cannot answer why people shut others down and call BS when people say go within. Some people lack the ability to go within, most people don't want to face those problems and would rather fantasize about a different life. Maybe that's why we have so many children and adults hooked on MMORPG's they'd rather spend there time in a different world where they are appreciated on a Virtual basis.

I've gone within many times, actually daily... It's a different world inside. A better world than any programmer and make virtually playable in the "Real 3d world"

When you start thinking about all the BS in the world it overcomes most. Most recluse into a shell and remain there affraid if anyone really knew who they were they would be ostracized by the public. So where is the room to be yourself? There is no room only the room you create for yourself.

I'd rather live in the "Now" i'm not going to worry about the past or the future only the "Now" that I am present and accounted for. I will only change the things in the "Now" that can be changed and work towards the world I have envisioned in my dome~

Hope that helped OP~

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Because intuitively we all know in our core how we got ourselves where we are even if "others" were influences along the way. Which scares the pants off most of us, even those actively "working" to move out of that rut.
edit on 14-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

join