It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Dotcom's lawyer denies delaying tactics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Kim Dotcom

www.nzherald.co.nz

The Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) is appealing against a High Court decision by Justice Helen Winkelmann that it needs to disclose evidence it gathered while spying on Dotcom.

The unlawful surveillance on Dotcom by the GCSB was exposed during a judicial review into the legality of a police search warrant on his home and the seizure of his assets.

The Crown admitted the GCSB's actions were illegal and Dotcom was later cleared to pursue a case for damages against the police and the GCSB.

William Akel, appearing for Dotcom at the hearing in Wellington, said Justice W
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-2-2013 by pillock because: edited the post title

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
It looks like Hollywood players have once again influenced the judiciary in New Zealand .
This saddens me because we here in NZ hold our court system as an institution above any possible corruption or outside influence .
KDC may have made millions from his file sharing website . but he did not post the illegal files.
The NZ government has broken NZ laws to assist the FBI & Hollywood high rollers to try to hang him out to dry .

www.nzherald.co.nz

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I think you may find he provided a platform for the file sharing to happen. This will be the downfall. He knowingly participated in it.

So it is just a matter of time and loads of money and he will be prosecuted.

As an artist I take copyright seriously.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock

It looks like Hollywood players have once again influenced the judiciary in New Zealand .
This saddens me because we here in NZ hold our court system as an institution above any possible corruption or outside influence .
KDC may have made millions from his file sharing website . but he did not post the illegal files.
The NZ government has broken NZ laws to assist the FBI & Hollywood high rollers to try to hang him out to dry .

www.nzherald.co.nz

I think you totally misread the article.

What the article is saying is that the people trying to stop dotcom have themselves breached the law and must divulge how they obtained the evidence they used to sieve his assets.

If they do and it is proven to be evidence obtained illegally then Dotcom can be awarded damages. If they do not then dotcom has the right to sue.

Either way this falls in favour of Kim Dotcom not against him.

Korg.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
I think you may find he provided a platform for the file sharing to happen. This will be the downfall. He knowingly participated in it.

If you are an artist then you should be more conserned about your art rather than the financial gains. I'm a musician and my music if free to all whom would like to listen.

NeoN HaZe - Music Experience

This is the way that it should be and the only way it will be, once the big firms realise the freedom of ever present internet connections and subscription services over purchasing a product.

Korg.

Originally posted by pillock

www.nzherald.co.nz

I think you totally misread the article.

What the article is saying is that the people trying to stop dotcom have themselves breached the law and must divulge how they obtained the evidence they used to sieve his assets.

If they do and it is proven to be evidence obtained illegally then Dotcom can be awarded damages. If they do not then dotcom has the right to sue.

Either way this falls in favour of Kim Dotcom not against him.

Korg.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I think what Kim does and is doing will be proven to be the right action in course of history. Either we have file-sharing, or we loose free speech. Much of our culture is in files. We can't let international corporations hold our culture at ransom. Also, maybe some big blockbuster movies should not have been made. Look at the difference between Star Wars IV and Star wars III . One had huge funding and the other had a limited budget. The one with a small team and a limited budget was best.

As an artist, I take copyright seriously as well. But, there are dangers to art. Huge studios that control media-industries will just keep selling crap to people. They do nothing to art. They might even go to lawsuits in order to protect parts of ideas that should be in the public domain. The copyright las in USA for instance has a part called the Disney-law. That means whenever Disney property falls out of copyright, politicians will receive bribes and make copyright last longer.

The huge studios should be dismantled. They are also doing stuff to sabotage their competitors. For instance the media codec h264 is patented. There is another alternative codec backed by Google called WebM. The people behind WebM sold it to Google because of the amounts of threats they got from MPEG LA. The reason behind the threats was that MPEG LA would control all video through its cartel and be able to make money off any video-clip off the net. Sabotage like this is common.

There is a reason they are called a mafia. Also, property-rights organizations will make money off intellectual property they don't own. And, they won't give anything back to the creator of the work. If you created something and didn't pay and a intellectual property-rights organization profits from it without giving anything back, how is that different from piracy?

Also, people who sue kids because they copied a floppy give artists a bad name. If I'm going to a lawsuit, it would probably not be because of something as trivial as file-sharing. I think we need to dismantle some of the media-industry. After all, these kinds of concentrations of power is the reason this site is running.
edit on 14-2-2013 by nidstav because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
If record companies, artists, movie companies and celebrities are continually making 10's of millions of dollars every year, even though file sharing has been around for a decade, I think the point of 'theft' is null and void especially when i can watch the music video clip any time of the day on youtube.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Absolute nonsense! That is like blaming a drink drive accident on the car manufacturer or the pub landlord! How about youtube? There are plenty of films on there! In fact my partner has an app on her phone that links to full length films on youtube! Are they going to be arrested next?

And btw intellectual property rights is a load of BS! As an artist you can make plenty of money without resorting to being so anal! The same with the movie industry! How much do they make at the box office again? And no matter how many downloads are available some people will still want the box and all the extras etc...

I mean it is just stupid anyway, have you ever borrowed a film off a friend and therefore watched the movie for free? Ever borrowed a CD or a game? Then you have no place to talk because it is just the same! I'm sure you didn't run to the artists to pay them! lol

We are in the digital age... About time you came to join us!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

have you ever borrowed a film off a friend and therefore watched the movie for free? Ever borrowed a CD or a game? Then you have no place to talk because it is just the same! I'm sure you didn't run to the artists to pay them! lol We are in the digital age... About time you came to join us!
reply to post by mee30

Well said brother / sister.
I do however understand how the less well known artists feel, but this is not about copyright. It is about Hollywood and the music industry corrupting our/my judicial system via political back room pressure.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

There is always someone who says this

"I'm an artist, I'm a musician"

And i'm sorry but I have to call Bulla on this statement

There's only one sort of "artist" who looses out because of the Internet the HUGE corporate sponsored variety

In all reality for Millions (literally) of struggling Artists, Musicians, Actors... this is the greatest time in history, the capacity to reach Billions of people, the camera and recording equipment cheap enough to do pro work for well less than a College degrees cost and the capacity to earn money doing what you love...

Prior to the net... unknown musicians mostly played on the streets, god knows how many writers couldn't make rent every month until the blog came along, film makers faced impossible hurdles in regards to the cost of equipment...

Only 2 types of "artists" complain about file sharing....

1: the ones too computer illiterate to promote themselves that DREAM of being discovered

2: The mega wealthy artists... (and meh... they don't loose much) I highly doubt a person who sells paintings for 100 G is loosing a dime because kids download his screen saver, movies still make Billions the viral nature of culture has made things like Comic Con impossible to get tickets for, much money lost is made up via ppv and hulu and a zillion other businesses in regards to downloads... legitimate ones...

Big companies... playing Mc Donalds type games like... the way they no longer give out ketchup packets unless you ask because some jerk off figured out that 2 Billion less ketchup packets saved 7 Million dollars or whatever...

Blatant cheap skate corporate tactics designed to "save Millions" of Billions... Numbers that sound large but equal nothing in the end but greed.

Frankly I rather 32 Million people make a living in the arts that couldn't before... and 1000 elite "artists" of respective genres make a million or so less per year... Guess what? They will still be richer than god when the days done...

And NO small "Artist" looses anything unless they are Internet retarded... and frankly, i'm sorry but that's the equivalent of being functionally illiterate and you wont succeed at anything without those skills these days

Sorry.... but happiest day ever for me.. is when someone pirates some image of mine and sends it viral.... YAY 3 Million people see your work and know your name that never would have until you "got published" a lot of them end up buying something from you.... "get published" like waiting to win the lottery

Your just WRONG

Until the Internet came along "Artist" in ANY form for 99.9% of people = Poverty, loneliness, despair and early grave...

Today... it's a viable Job

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by penninja

Clap Clap Clap

You have put a lot of thought and emotion into that post .
You have read my mind and posted the words I could not find.
Thank you

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by magma

Absolute nonsense! That is like blaming a drink drive accident on the car manufacturer or the pub landlord! How about youtube? There are plenty of films on there! In fact my partner has an app on her phone that links to full length films on youtube! Are they going to be arrested next?

And btw intellectual property rights is a load of BS! As an artist you can make plenty of money without resorting to being so anal! The same with the movie industry! How much do they make at the box office again? And no matter how many downloads are available some people will still want the box and all the extras etc...

I mean it is just stupid anyway, have you ever borrowed a film off a friend and therefore watched the movie for free? Ever borrowed a CD or a game? Then you have no place to talk because it is just the same! I'm sure you didn't run to the artists to pay them! lol

We are in the digital age... About time you came to join us!

You obviously do not understand copyright.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by penninja

There is always someone who says this

"I'm an artist, I'm a musician"

And i'm sorry but I have to call Bulla on this statement

There's only one sort of "artist" who looses out because of the Internet the HUGE corporate sponsored variety

In all reality for Millions (literally) of struggling Artists, Musicians, Actors... this is the greatest time in history, the capacity to reach Billions of people, the camera and recording equipment cheap enough to do pro work for well less than a College degrees cost and the capacity to earn money doing what you love...

Prior to the net... unknown musicians mostly played on the streets, god knows how many writers couldn't make rent every month until the blog came along, film makers faced impossible hurdles in regards to the cost of equipment...

Only 2 types of "artists" complain about file sharing....

1: the ones too computer illiterate to promote themselves that DREAM of being discovered

2: The mega wealthy artists... (and meh... they don't loose much) I highly doubt a person who sells paintings for 100 G is loosing a dime because kids download his screen saver, movies still make Billions the viral nature of culture has made things like Comic Con impossible to get tickets for, much money lost is made up via ppv and hulu and a zillion other businesses in regards to downloads... legitimate ones...

Big companies... playing Mc Donalds type games like... the way they no longer give out ketchup packets unless you ask because some jerk off figured out that 2 Billion less ketchup packets saved 7 Million dollars or whatever...

Blatant cheap skate corporate tactics designed to "save Millions" of Billions... Numbers that sound large but equal nothing in the end but greed.

Frankly I rather 32 Million people make a living in the arts that couldn't before... and 1000 elite "artists" of respective genres make a million or so less per year... Guess what? They will still be richer than god when the days done...

And NO small "Artist" looses anything unless they are Internet retarded... and frankly, i'm sorry but that's the equivalent of being functionally illiterate and you wont succeed at anything without those skills these days

Sorry.... but happiest day ever for me.. is when someone pirates some image of mine and sends it viral.... YAY 3 Million people see your work and know your name that never would have until you "got published" a lot of them end up buying something from you.... "get published" like waiting to win the lottery

Your just WRONG

Until the Internet came along "Artist" in ANY form for 99.9% of people = Poverty, loneliness, despair and early grave...

Today... it's a viable Job

Your talking about marketing not income protection.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

I'm well aware what copyright is and it doesn't make one bit of difference! If you borrow that film off a friend you are stealing money from the makers! Did they get paid for YOU to watch it? No... But you watched it right? THIEF!

This is all we are doing online! The internet has allowed us to share more freely with even more people! Instead of passing the physical DVD around to all your friends (and then sometimes they lend it to their friends), we can now do it with anyone and everyone around the world! How fantastic is that? It's wonderful but people like you want to stifle and control... Well sorry but that ain't gonna happen...

So your only choice is to adapt, think of other ways to make money! Well in fact you don't even have to try! Concerts, plays, festivals, live performances! Hell you can even sell merchandise and the like...

I remember years ago people complaining and saying that soon there would be no films and no music etc... What absolute rubbish! Still there is big budget film after big budget film. You know, one of my friends works security on the film sets and he gets like 1000 pounds a week! Yeah, they must be proper skint! lol

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This guy seems to make contradictory statements.

The discovery would "raise issues"and cause delays to Dotcom's extradition hearing, he said.

"It yielded virtually nothing ... it was fairly bland intelligence that didn't help particularly at all."

They say it's not related to his extradition, was not shared with police prior to the raid, and will only take a few days to gather up the discovery data, so...deliver it already.

They must know there is something in there that will help KDC's case in some way, or harm them down the road when they get sued for damages.

top topics

join