Our friend, the social network.

page: 1
5

log in

join

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Just have to say... I LOVE the internet.

Sure, when I post on various sites and join chatrooms, I get called names and ridiculed by nearly everyone I dare to say two words to.... but hey, that's life.

I always wondered why the same thing doesn't really happen to me in real life anymore... I mean, I got bullied in elementary and middle school, even jumped when I went to a certain ghetto magnet school. But, since I started going to high school, people have been backing off. Not giving me as much hell.

Wonder why.

OH yeah!

Because I'm SCARY now.

Spikes, chains, a fascination with weapons, scary make-up, and the attitude of an ill-tempered teenage rebel enraged with the world to match. Now I give scary looks to people, veering them away. Now I'm the one they worry about. If somebody provokes me, they'll know it... and they won't do it a second time.

Not only that, but I'm more respected by my family now. My family, the redneck cult-like mafia of southern gun owners. Such a twisted sense of loyalty it takes to match with them. I don't entirely fit the mold, but I'm good enough.

I have friends now... and even some that I like. Hahaha!


No one attacks or provokes me purposely anymore... it almost never happens now, though when I was younger (and before I was such a gothish punk), it was a routine thing.

Still, it happens a lot on the internet. People will say the worst things they can think of to me. And it hurts, hurts like a shotgun slug to the stomach. So, what do I do? I retaliate. Ten fold. Even if I'm arguing with five people at once, getting "cyber jumped." I never give in.

Then, it hit me.

I know why everyone on the internet is quick to insult me, but no one will do it face to face anymore.

They're scared of me.

Any worthless loser can sit behind a computer screen and type up some nonsense.

And listen everyone, the same goes for you. If you're a victim of being "cyber bullied" or whatever, know this; they wouldn't say, think, or do the same thing if they happened to be arguing with you face to face.

None of them would.

Even ATS is guilty of this.

Don't get me wrong, this is my favorite website in the world... but I guarantee that ALL of you have said something on ATS to someone that you would NEVER say in real life. At least once. A lot more if you're a troll, though.

But... trolls don't count as people.

The internet allows us to detach from reality, and, since we aren't seeing, hearing, or touching another person, its hard for our minds to register that we're actually talking to other people.

So, as a result, its easier to argue with them and call them names. Its easier to degrade, demean, condemn, and insult them if you find yourself in a heated argument without feeling badly.

I fight with people on facebook a LOT.

When do I fight with people face to face?

Nowadays... almost never.

The internet is tricky.

It allows us to make friends across the world, share information, play games, share our stories, and give or research information.

It also gives us a gateway to insult and hurt other people without the burden of conscience stopping us... driving a lot of people around my age to suicide.

Eh... whatever. That's my rant.




posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
It's easy to be tough when you're talking smack to someone on the Internet and you have a 5,000 mile buffer zone and complete anonymity.

My whole philosophy when it comes to people. Online or in person...
I am who I am. If you don't like it, piss off and die PERIOD.

I don't care what anyone thinks or says of me. Its all like water off a ducks back.

Kids and people in general now a days have lost their toughness. They take offense way to easily, to everything.

Personally, being bullied as a pre teen made me tougher, it thickened my skin and gave me my present attitude towards others.

In the end always remember this....

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 

So what you're saying is you've realized fear is a very good mechanism for indirectly controlling other people.

/salute



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX


It also gives us a gateway to insult and hurt other people without the burden of conscience stopping us... driving a lot of people around my age to suicide.




just like your comments calling gays an abomination and not natural from a thread i replied to you in you said

'The entire concept of marriage is based around a Christian/Jewish tradition, and comes from the Bible, just like the idea that gayness is an abomination. The thought of gays getting married is sort of a contradiction in itself.

[snip]

followed later by
"Also, many people preform gay sex simply because it's a sin, not because they particularly care for it. Same reason some people get the impulse to hurt others or steal things. It's a trill.

There's a million reasons people choose to be gay. I just don't care for the lifestyle, and that's all."

so okay for you to make nasty hurtful and deeply ignorant comments about whole groups of people but not okay if someone picks on you, just so we know. you should look into the amount of teen suicides that have happened precisely because of hate and ignorance being spewed online by people who think gay people dont deserve equal rights and are unnatural or abominations, also you say that people wont say these things to peoples faces i would imagine you wouldn't go into a gay bar alone and repeat the things you say on this site. and those are just from a thread i was involved in i'm sure there are plenty more similiar comments from you.

if you're going to make a thread saying that people shouldn't be mean online better if you dont do it yourself
edit on 14-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

So, as a result, its easier to argue with them and call them names. Its easier to degrade, demean, condemn, and insult them if you find yourself in a heated argument without feeling badly.


isn't it just!



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by glassspider

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX


It also gives us a gateway to insult and hurt other people without the burden of conscience stopping us... driving a lot of people around my age to suicide.




just like your comments calling gays an abomination and not natural from a thread i replied to you in you said

'The entire concept of marriage is based around a Christian/Jewish tradition, and comes from the Bible, just like the idea that gayness is an abomination. The thought of gays getting married is sort of a contradiction in itself.

By f@#$ing someone in the ass, you can't create a baby. Your butt hole is used for excreting waste, not to transport sperm and house a baby. Therefore, it is NOT natural."

followed later by
"Also, many people preform gay sex simply because it's a sin, not because they particularly care for it. Same reason some people get the impulse to hurt others or steal things. It's a trill.

There's a million reasons people choose to be gay. I just don't care for the lifestyle, and that's all."

so okay for you to make nasty hurtful and deeply ignorant comments about whole groups of people but not okay if someone picks on you, just so we know. you should look into the amount of teen suicides that have happened precisely because of hate and ignorance being spewed online by people who think gay people dont deserve equal rights and are unnatural or abominations, also you say that people wont say these things to peoples faces i would imagine you wouldn't go into a gay bar alone and repeat the things you say on this site. and those are just from a thread i was involved in i'm sure there are plenty more similiar comments from you.

if you're going to make a thread saying that people shouldn't be mean online better if you dont do it yourself


Damn... that was a long time ago.

Listen, I admit I was an ass.

I remember that thread, and I remember replying. I also remember that I was experiencing some serious family AND room-mate drama, and I was pissed. I took it out on everyone who even slightly opposed my personal beliefs, and for that, I apologize. That isn't me at all.

The internet makes it easier for everyone to be an ass. Including me.

I am deeply sorry I offended you.

......................

Also, TO EVERYONE, including my trolls;

Recently, I've been busting my arse to force myself to admit to others when I'm "new" to a particular topic, and admit to them when I'm wrong. Both online and face to face. And, I can honestly say its the hardest change I've ever made to myself.

I'm essentially slowly twisting a knife in my pride, and to beat it all, instead of being mature, most of my trolls (especially on facebook) aren't taking my apology as an apology. They're taking it as; "Ha! See? I was right! You're just a stupid worthless kid who dun't know what she's talkin' about!"

So, before any ATS trolls show up, I'll go ahead and say that I don't care what you have to say.

I am not perfect, and I am admitting it. But, I will not admit to being a stupid kid. I'm not one.

I am very naive sometimes, depending on the topic at hand. But I am not stupid.

So, go ahead and whine about how I'm not perfect, go ahead and point out the flaws which I have already admitted to, go ahead and cast judgement. I can guarantee you, no matter what you say to me, I've heard worse.

Some of you should really draw a line between disagreeing with someone's beliefs, and attacking them because you don't like their personality.

A lot of people don't like me. And ya know what? Tough for em!


You can't expect everyone to fit your cookie-cutter ideals of a worth while person.

And I sure as hell don't fit that mold. For anyone.

I accept that a good deal of people don't like me, and I accept that I'm wrong sometimes. But, I always admit when I'm wrong, and always attempt to fix it... and that's more than anyone can say about my critics.


edit on 14-2-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
It's easy to be tough when you're talking smack to someone on the Internet and you have a 5,000 mile buffer zone and complete anonymity.

My whole philosophy when it comes to people. Online or in person...
I am who I am. If you don't like it, piss off and die PERIOD.

I don't care what anyone thinks or says of me. Its all like water off a ducks back.

Kids and people in general now a days have lost their toughness. They take offense way to easily, to everything.

Personally, being bullied as a pre teen made me tougher, it thickened my skin and gave me my present attitude towards others.

In the end always remember this....

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind.


My thoughts exactly.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 


Actually I am just as nasty or pleasant on the internet as I am in person.
But who the hell would beat up a fat old crippled guy???

Plus I'd prolly just shoot someone in the knee if needed.
I said fat old and crippled, not stupid!

Actually I just chock it up to getting old and senile.
I really am pleasant though, as long as my dogs like you!



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 


Actually I am just as nasty or pleasant on the internet as I am in person.
But who the hell would beat up a fat old crippled guy???

Plus I'd prolly just shoot someone in the knee if needed.
I said fat old and crippled, not stupid!

Actually I just chock it up to getting old and senile.
I really am pleasant though, as long as my dogs like you!


Well, by that logic, you sound awesome.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 
Aw, you don't look scary to me love! My oldest at your age makes you look like an angel of light! And yeah, people can be complete jerks on the internet because they are hiding behind the safety of their fictitious online persona- safe in their mommy's basement.

I try to make it my goal to be nicer and more sensitive to the feelings of others in my online interactions than I would be in person to person live conversation (in my real life I'm not known for my tactfulness or even temper). There are times that if I were actually speaking to some in person they would definitely get their feelings hurt- along with a fist to their nose or a knee to their groin!



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 
Aw, you don't look scary to me love! My oldest at your age makes you look like an angel of light! And yeah, people can be complete jerks on the internet because they are hiding behind the safety of their fictitious online persona- safe in their mommy's basement.

I try to make it my goal to be nicer and more sensitive to the feelings of others in my online interactions than I would be in person to person live conversation (in my real life I'm not known for my tactfulness or even temper). There are times that if I were actually speaking to some in person they would definitely get their feelings hurt- along with a fist to their nose or a knee to their groin!



Thank you


Believe it or not, I used to make it a goal to be nice and sensitive to others too. As fights and arguments broke out, though, I guess I entirely lost my sight of this goal.

I'm tryin' to get it back. Nothin' doin'.



posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 


Fair enough. good on you for saying so. We're all still growing but you know what its like to be judged by people who havent gotten to know that you're creative and artistic just see the make up and clothes. so dont do it to other groups. terry pratchett says
"never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. that way when you do judge him you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes "
:0D
do what you are asking of others



posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by glassspider
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX
 


Fair enough. good on you for saying so. We're all still growing but you know what its like to be judged by people who havent gotten to know that you're creative and artistic just see the make up and clothes. so dont do it to other groups. terry pratchett says
"never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. that way when you do judge him you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes "
:0D
do what you are asking of others


Always.


I come from a relatively judgmental family... both sides. Felt like I was being "judged" all my life, so... it's normal to me, I suppose. I'm not making an excuse, just stating a contributing factor to my jadedness. I'm not half as bad as I sound on the internet... in fact, sometimes I go back and read my old stuff, and think... God, the other people reading this must think I'm a lunatic. Even I do, half the time.


Most of the time.

Well... all the time, really.

Lunatic. On and off line.

God bless





new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join