It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscar Pistorius 'shoots girlfriend'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I believe it was 4 shots in the head and one to the body. Surely one shot to the lower

body is sufficient to stop anyone??

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

I believe it was 4 shots in the head and one to the body.

Wow. The story is all over the BBC... very unexpected... but then again its often the nice ones that are the ones to look out for.
Sounds like he's bang to rights... when he goes to court he won't have a leg to stand on.
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: stuff

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by manmental

I heard he was legless at the time....

Sorry but you started it !!!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If his story is true, and I have no information to refute his account, then he is an irresponsible gun owner. I own guns. I took safety courses. You NEVER shoot someone you cannot clearly see. NEVER. And since he claims he thought she was an intruder, then he clearly couldn't see her.

I can totally understand how some people want to take away all the guns. It's irresponsible behavior like this that incites people, and rightfully so.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Is it or is not true that many white South Africans supported Apartheid?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by chrome413

Unfortunately, as much as Pistorius was a "hero" and all in the Olympics, I began to doubt his account when it became apparent that the victim - his girlfriend - was shot four times. Four times?? Unless the "intruder" is actively trying to injure/kill you and poses a direct and dangerous threat, why on Earth would you shoot them as many as four times???

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I believe it was 4 shots in the head and one to the body. Surely one shot to the lower body is sufficient to stop anyone??

Off topic, but you surly have never been put into a situation of armed self defense against a subject that is on pcp.

One shot is certainly not enough, and always ALWAYS double tap

While I'm not trying to defend anyone's actions here, a little legal advice, if you are going to shoot someone in self defense, kill them, otherwise you will likely be sued by the criminal. Most people are not trained combatants, you don't have 100% adrenaline and anxiety and shoot once then ask if they are ok before you shoot again. Most people in a real self defense issue will expend many shots in a short amount of time.

It is, in fact, less suspicious when home intruders are shot multiple times by handguns, then a single shot. Rifle's do not have the same statistics, as most cases of true self defense involving rifles involve 1-2 shots fired from a location that the intruder walked into.

IE most rifle defense cases involve hallways where the homeowner established a location of defense and only fired when the intruder encroached upon it, where as most hand gun cases, involve the home owner actively engaging the assailant.
edit on 14-2-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by manmental

I heard he was legless at the time....

Sorry but you started it !!!

He tried legging it from the police... but they caught him...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by vind21

Firstly let me state I know nothing about guns other than they kill...

You said
"most gun cases involve the home owner actively engaging the assailant"

Surely IF you are that close to your assailant you would be able to tell the difference

between your girl friend and a stranger?

Shots to the head? would they not have fallen at the first shot to the head? and then

another to the body? Hmmm..... over zealous comes to mind.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

There are too many factors, 1 shot is never a guarantee.

There is no mention of the caliber or type of round, these both play a major factor in how many rounds it could or should take. The placement of the shots play a big factor as well.

Here is an example of shooting someone 5 times with a .38 in the face and the criminal still escaping.

If you were to shoot someone in the head with a 12 guage slug, it almost certainly guarantees a quick death but a slug isn't the preferred round for home defense in shotguns.

This is why legislating the number of rounds in a firearm is a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Poor little tink tink

Sorry....couldn't help myself.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmental

I believe it was 4 shots in the head and one to the body.

Wow. The story is all over the BBC... very unexpected... but then again its often the nice ones that are the ones to look out for.
Sounds like he's bang to rights... when he goes to court he won't have a leg to stand on.
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: stuff

You is a bad, bad person!

Goddam that's made my day!

On a serious note, his paddy at the London Olympics gave an interesting insight to his character, I watched the whole thing and it was the only sour note that I recall.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
reply to post by Raxoxane

Is it or is not true that many white South Africans supported Apartheid?

Whoa, flying off like that, off topic you're just going to piss people off

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have no idea what totally happened, and I have never been in this type of situation, but I'm thinking that if I was in that situation taking into account the violent nature of crimes, I'd shoot to kill 4 or 5 times.

That said the whole thing sounds off, and doesn't bode well for gun owners. The other case where the man shot his daughter while she was taking the car, was an ex Springbok. So these two are high profile cases.

How many times does this happen and how effective is having a weapon really?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
She tweeted about a Valentine's day surprise right before she was shot. It was really creepy reading her last tweet. I don't have a link, as I saw it earlier today on Reddit.

Absolutley heartbreaking

I wonder if they'll let him keep his blade-legs if he winds up serving time?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Very few facts are out except that he shot her. Let's not jump to conclusions - already contradictory information floating around on the "news" sites.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I just read the police are stumped for a motive.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
reply to post by chrome413

Unfortunately, as much as Pistorius was a "hero" and all in the Olympics, I began to doubt his account when it became apparent that the victim - his girlfriend - was shot four times. Four times?? Unless the "intruder" is actively trying to injure/kill you and poses a direct and dangerous threat, why on Earth would you shoot them as many as four times???

Maybe if you are in fear of your life, and you have only this pissy gun that you don´t think will stop an intruder from hurting you with just one shot, you will repeatedly pull the trigger until it stops moving.

So it was valentines day and she obviously wanted to surprise him as stated on her twitter/facebook whatever. Maybe she did it in the wrong way? Maybe she was dressed like a monster or some killer from scream, and he, being a double amputee probably didn´t have the blades on at home, and where unable to run, fearing for his life he grasped the gun and peppered away.

Tragic story, indeed.
edit on 14-2-2013 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
4 shots is still too many. If she was standing behind a door and she was hit once, she would've screamed or made a noise, unless he managed to shoot her 4 times before she fell?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's not accidental and he wont get of this charge of murder.

He hasn't got a leg to stand on !
edit on 14-2-2013 by pacifier2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join