It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if all 250,000,000 adult citizens in the US were required to carry a gun?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Oh goody...

A country full of booze drinking, prescription pill popping, road rage screaming citizens with a Glock tied to their side hip.

Well OP, if nothing else, I admire your optimistic viewpoint on the maturity and mentality levels of your fellow countrymen.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Actually the crime stats they gave had us at below half of the national average. That includes all crime.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

if we are going to quibble on numbers. it's some 315+Million.

en.wikipedia.org...

Age structure

0-14 years: 20.2% (male 31,639,127/female 30,305,704)
15–64 years: 67% (male 102,665,043/female 103,129,321)
65 years and over: 12.8% (male 16,901,232/female 22,571,696) (2010 est.)

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I say do that today.

We would have close to 0 crime.

And btw. An armed society is a polite society.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

It is around 25k people. It is 50 miles from 2 larger cities that have over 200k people.

Most small towns have close to zero gun crime...it has nothing to do with people owning guns or not.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The Second Amendment is not a licence to violence... which is the biggest obstacle for those who cannot overcome the desire to hold the inanimate accountable for that violence of our culture.

Historically, there was once 'demon rum' and the outcome was a failed prohibition on alcohol.

People hurt. People kill. Taking away guns or booze or frying pans has never come close to addressing the human condition... and you can bet that no politician of any party wants to address the root causes of what our culture has become.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

It is around 25k people. It is 50 miles from 2 larger cities that have over 200k people.

Most small towns have close to zero gun crime...it has nothing to do with people owning guns or not.

Where are you from that 25k is a small town? Where I live there is only one city with a population of 3500+ in the county. There are only 9K residents in the whole county.

Proportionately very few of the cities in the US west of the Mississippi are over 25k.

When we talk about going to “the city” (meaning a place with a movie theater and a restaurant) we mean the 45 minute drive to the city with 8k people.

I would never want to live in a place that big – 25K people is a recipe for insanity.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't think anything extraordinary would happen.

For the most part, those that want to carry a gun already do.
For those with no experience, there will be many accidental discharges.

Many violent psychopaths will be culled from the herd.

12 months later America is free of violent criminals

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
That would be the only real solution to Chicago's gun crime. Short term it would be bloody, but in the big picture fewer would die and the quality of life there would improve dramatically.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Quoting a nice-sounding sentence doesn't make it true, there would be just as many people who will "become polite" as there will be people thinking that it gives them the right to push people aside. How do you think it'll end up when you point your gun at a wannabee though guy because he went berserk after you hit his car inadvertently ? He'll get his gun out too and you'll find yourself in a stupid situation.

Hell, even the fact that you think guns could push people to act more politely is a dream, how many times have you seem someone get a gun out and act nicely ? How do you think people will react with a gun under their nose, whatever the situation they are in ? How do you think people around will react when they see a guy with a gun drawn out without knowing anything about the situation ?

A society in which everyone has guns is a society living on the edge where politeness is merely an imitation of fear.

I'm always amazed by people who think having a gun will help them when it comes to self-defense, the element of surprise alone is enough to give the offender the upper hand, not everybody is a Marine or a trained soldier (and even them would have a hard time overcoming that kind of disadventage).

Here's an experiment for you trigger-happy-cowboys :

1. Find three people to try that with you.
2. Empty two guns, be careful, keep the safety on.
3. Take one, put it in your holster/pocket/whatever is the place you keep it usually.
4. Give the other one to the group and ask them to chose one person amongs them that will carry the gun (without telling you).
5. Let them come at you from different angles and try to attack you
6. Count how many times you ended-up winning the round.

In the end you do what you want, I'm neither pro or against guns, I don't give a damn, you could even give automatic rifles to kids and crazies I wouldn't mind but you should really think about your claims because most of them are complete dellusions (especially the one about getting rid of criminals, christ some of you are clueless).

edit on 14-2-2013 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Where are you from that 25k is a small town? Where I live there is only one city with a population of 3500+ in the county. There are only 9K residents in the whole county.

Proportionately very few of the cities in the US west of the Mississippi are over 25k.

When we talk about going to “the city” (meaning a place with a movie theater and a restaurant) we mean the 45 minute drive to the city with 8k people.

I would never want to live in a place that big – 25K people is a recipe for insanity.

I live in the Chicago area which has a metro population of around 9 million...a town that is 25k that the closest "city" of 200k is 50 miles away is a very very small town.

The person claiming that the reason for their low crime is that everyone carries guns is full of it...the reason is more likely because they are a very small town where everyone knows everyone and they don't have the same issues that large metro areas have.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hell no....

People get into fights all the time knowing that they will go to jail, when they calm down they regret their discussions. Some one acting out of anger will not think twice even if it means risking their own life to kill one of their enemy's.

Thats ^ only the second argument. The first is freedom, you are free to own a fire arm you are not forced, if you are forced then you are not free. Not that we are free in today's society but that does not mean we should tighten the ball and chain, how will ever escape?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

That would be the only real solution to Chicago's gun crime. Short term it would be bloody, but in the big picture fewer would die and the quality of life there would improve dramatically.

You are absolutely insane.

You have already stated that you live in a little rural town...you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to a city and it's culture. More guns in Chicago is not the answer...that is just a pro-gun persons ignorant opinion because they don't understand the situation in Chicago.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think every American should be required to carry a bananna and a suitcase thermonuclear device.

Nothing says "danger, do not approach" more than an American carrying a bananna and a nuke!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
there are 270,000,000 million guns in the US

what's the difference ?

lol
edit on 14-2-2013 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

More guns in Chicago is not the answer...that is just a pro-gun persons ignorant opinion because they don't understand the situation in Chicago.

I don't see any measureable metric that indicates their draconian gun laws are working either. The criminals don't give a crap about laws that's what makes them criminals.

There is a direct correlation between strict gun laws and high rates of gun crime. When DC had to change its firearm laws because of the Miller decision their crime rate dropped. There is some evidence to suggest that more guns does = less gun crime.

I think demographics have more to do with crime than guns actually.

It is the 800lb gorilla no one wants to tackle because it is not PC to say where there are more blacks there is more crime. Some would argue that is due to poverty rather than race but like I said I live in a rural county with 10,000 people, 98.5% are white, .8% black, the other .7 are other.

We have had one gun crime in 3 years and that was a domestic incident. The average income here is 23K a year for a family of 3, the unemployment rate is near 18%, 52% of households qualify for government assistance and free lunches and there is surprisingly little crime. I wonder why the disparity?

It is sad that no one will really study this issue because frankly I don't think they would like the answer.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Probably end up just having shoot outs.

Hell...all the guys at my Gym walk around like they are some kind of Super Soldier UFC fighter Jason Bourne wannabe showing off their bootcamp and crossfit moves.

Who cares if you can vertical jump 5 ft onto a platform or fight.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Right...black people are the problem.

So if I call you a racist...are you going to cry about it...because you seem pretty damn proud of it.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Golf66

Right...black people are the problem.

So if I call you a racist...are you going to cry about it...because you seem pretty damn proud of it.

If that is what you got out of my post I think you are a bit presumptive. I am only citing facts there. That is not racist as I recall.

Where is there more gun crime? Inner city America especially in cities that have one thing in common - a majority minority population (D.C, Baltimore, St. Louis, Chicago etc.,). Are you saying the statistics don't support that statement? If that makes your butt hurt I really don't know what to say.

I see the correlation between gun crime and a dense population of blacks and minorities... I think the facts will support that. I don't see a lot of evidence that socio-economic factors is the prime casue; in my observation race seems to be more of more of a factor than poverty. I think statistics also support that.

I do not see the same correlation between extreme poverty and violent crime in the rural poor who happen to be mostly white. Is there a higher crime rate in the rural poor than in those who are not poverty stricken? Sure there is but not even near the rates as poor urban minorities. Why?

Making an observation and a statement doesn't make one a racist.

Your reaction is pretty typical of the left leaning urban dweller. I understand you have been exposed to institutionalized Negrophilia and do not fault you personally.

Thus there will never be a reliable study into why the higher rates of violent crime exist in minority and especially black populations.

edit on 14/2/2013 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join