It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23% Of Americans Are illiterate...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
Oh America...What happened?

I blame the 80s.
In the 60s-70s we had an awesome culture. We had hippies, classic rock, some sweet overall fashion styles....then the 80s came around and it's like we went into a nose dive. Then in the 90s we started to recover, but then this past decade we decided to go full retard.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
The good news is this is study is only 10 years old now.
Want to double that figure?
I can't say I'm surprised. Stupidity has been elevated to an artform in America.
GWBush's legacy is that it's "cool" to be a moron.
No child is getting left behind because they're all being held back.

When the top pop star is named "Gaga" you know we're in trouble.
Don't worry though, we'll invent our way back to the stone age before you know it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think the number is 3x higher. For the most part, I'd say that 60% fall into the categories the OP posted. Why? Because nobody continues learning. Most people have zero desire to continue with education. It's pathetic, but the worse part is who is paying for the illiterates? The educated! That's who! With more than half the population of America on food stamps and/or assistance, I can't wait until the USA goes bankrupt so we can start over and flush out non-productive people!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by curiouswa

I would have assumed the number higher, but I didnt want this to be an America-bashing thread; Literacy is an important issue, as it effects how we read the world.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This is a huge part of what's wrong

www.crossroad.to...

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
Oh America...What happened?

I blame the 80s.
In the 60s-70s we had an awesome culture. We had hippies, classic rock, some sweet overall fashion styles....then the 80s came around and it's like we went into a nose dive. Then in the 90s we started to recover, but then this past decade we decided to go full retard.

What is wrong with the 80s? I am confused by this observation. Maybe because I span a generational gap (I got the best of both worlds?), but I saw nothing wrong with the 80s and growing up. I walked to school without a parent, no crossing guard, did stupid stuff as a kid (like call 9-11 while at home alone and rode my bike a couple of miles to my mom's work), etc, etc.

I love the blame this decade view though and I think your parting sentiment is spot on (except my kids cause they are awesome
)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join