It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23% Of Americans Are illiterate...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I HVN TRBL REDIN D OP
CAN SUM1 XPLANE IT 2 ME?

Joking aside, I blame texting, or, more to the point, text speak for the decline in literacy skills.

Link

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think its deeper then that..

I think kids, parents, teachers, everything that is part of our education system in this Society needs to change their attitude..

Everything is about status quo, sure you may have isolated pockets of integrity, and passion and isolated pockets of kids really wanting to learn parents with integrity, etc. etc.

its more then the education system, its an attitude...

Yet the attitude of the majority of America, is status quo..

Speaking of Integrity, look at our leaders in America, really prime examples of Integrity yes, from Obama, down, where do you think the attitude is coming from?

Literacy is the least of our problems.....

edit on 13-2-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by seabag

lol

I clearly don't think that you actually would think public schools are bad.

Only that they are badly managed and run.

I agree entirely with that. Personally I prefer charter schools, but that's another thread I suppose.

Even here in Canada the public education system is crap. It seems to be an actual, first world problem.

~Tenth

link   

I agree it needs to be reformed and the best place to start would be to dissolve the teacher unions.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

I agree except:

Literacy is the least of our problems.....

I think the un-educated electorate is definitely your biggest problem.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
So you don't believe that our public education system is failing students and is in serious need of reform?
~Tenth

I believe that a small percentage of the responsibility for illiteracy falls on the public education system, but the remaining bulk of the responsibility falls on parents.

The education system had much less to do with my literacy than decent parenting and upbringing, and the deterioration of the American family is mostly responsible for all the dullards we see on Facebook and other social media who can't spell or punctuate properly.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I think our leaders are our biggest problem....

Being illiterate and stupid, are two different affairs...

Plenty of wise medicine men out there smart as a whip may have never invented the wheel,

but were not stupid...
edit on 13-2-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76

I think our leaders are our biggest problem....

And they were elected, mostly because Americans aren't educated enough to pay attention to what's going on.

Or educated enough to care anyway.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

now your disusing ignorance, not literacy...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It all depends on how we as a society view literacy and how the Government measures it. For instance, the basic level of literally content in a newspaper is said to be at a sixth grade level. It begs to question, what is the sixth grade level? Who determines it? Why sixth grade and not higher? Is there an agenda?

These types of questions also play into the quality of literacy that this nation holds as it pertains to critical thinking regarding a subject; particularly one on literacy such as this.

Reading words doesn't make one literate. Being able to understand them, contemplate on them, provide insight on them and actually regurgitate them into a cohesive opinion is what makes a person literate in my opinion. In that aspect, I would wager the number to be much higher than 23%.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I clearly don't think that you actually would think public schools are bad.

Only that they are badly managed and run.

Right! The educational system in America isn’t bad; knowledge is plentiful here. The problem here is that the public school system was long ago transformed into an indoctrination center. The federal government has no business imposing its will in education.

I agree entirely with that. Personally I prefer charter schools, but that's another thread I suppose.

Even here in Canada the public education system is crap. It seems to be an actual, first world problem.

I agree that Charter Schools are the way to go as far as “public” schools go! Personally, I wish I could take the money I’m forced to pay in school taxes and send my kids to private schools that espouse my ideals.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

One doesn't really exist without the other, in most cases

You see, the problem is that nobody forced anybody to vote for who is in office. If you lacked another choice, well that's still the people's fault really.

So Americans, knowingly vote for a politician of their choice, probably knowing full well, that just like the last idiot in office, they would continue the same old tired policies.

If you take a look at nations who have properly educated citizens, you'll notice they have far less problems with government in general.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
I HVN TRBL REDIN D OP
CAN SUM1 XPLANE IT 2 ME?

Joking aside, I blame texting, or, more to the point, text speak for the decline in literacy skills.

Link

Aaginmzgly touhgh yuor jinokg avobe porves the etxnet of the hamun bairn to ietnrepet and dihecper a kownn lganuage; wtih its reuls and cstontucrs.
edit on 13-2-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Actually I always wonder, how native English speakers make more mistakes than I am doing. This is not illiteracy, I know, but just saying. I learned the differences between: their, they are, there etc. somehow English speaking people often confuse that.

But how should you be able to read, when you are not even able to get the basic grammar correctly?
edit on 13-2-2013 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by seabag

Right! The educational system in America isn’t bad; knowledge is plentiful here. The problem here is that the public school system was long ago transformed into an indoctrination center. The federal government has no business imposing its will in education.

Thats why chartered schools are the way of the future. Taking the bureaucrat out of the classroom is the ideal situation. Let teachers and actual educators run the schools and make themselves responsible for the children's success.

That goes hand in hand with proper parenting too though.

I agree that Charter Schools are the way to go as far as “public” schools go! Personally, I wish I could take the money I’m forced to pay in school taxes and send my kids to private schools that espouse my ideals.

I wish I could take a lot of my tax dollars and decide where they went. What a novel idea that is eh?

My children have attended both private and public schools and clearly the private schools are far above the public ones. A combination of greater funds and better management is the difference IMO.

~Tenth

link   

This is more proof that American's school system is failing children and going to create a situation where nobody is qualified to run the country in 30 years.

I don't blame the school system, I blame whatever is stopping people from taking advantage of the school system.

link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980

So you don't believe that our public education system is failing students and is in serious need of reform?
~Tenth

I believe that a small percentage of the responsibility for illiteracy falls on the public education system, but the remaining bulk of the responsibility falls on parents.

I agree. When my son began pre-school this year, he was the only one in his entire class that could read his own name. That's a disgrace. How can the teachers be failing our children, when most kids are failing before they even get to school? My son can already read most of his books cover to cover, and can already do basic math while the rest of the students in his Pre-K class are still learning their alphabet and numbers. Where does the blame fall? I've gotta say... it ain't the teachers.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I don't like reading, but I find myself doing it all the time.
The different levels of literacy is true though. I know several people that cannot balance their checkbook without help, yet read and comprehend well enough. I also know a couple of people that get confused when reading snippets from news articles, but are fine reading other things. I only know one person that cannot read at all, and it is beyond their control.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

I would suggest this doc if you haven't seen it.

It doesn't show that side where parents are not involved with their kids, which is a MAJOR problem I agree.

But I think this piece will shed light on how teachers are party to blame for the problem.

~Tenth
edit on 2/13/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Double

edit on 13-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join