It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was just interrogated by cops as a show of power

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Well good luck if you do not respect them as an authority then you probably will at sometime make a foolish mistake and find yourself at the wrong end of our legal system. Please do not misunderstand me I know and have known many bad cops as in bad attitudes or over zealous, just like the cashier at the grocery store.

I am curious about your comment on recognized authority, if not the police then who do you recognize? Hopefully your parents(perhaps), the elders? teachers, principals or perhaps do you think you are above it all.
Not condeming in any way but just curious?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Doesnt sound like a "show of power" at all. Maybe she was just curious... Im guessing you have an accent. People who are not familiar with it, are curious about it.

The way youre describing the story, the whole attitude thing seemed unnecessary. She didnt ask you "whats in your trunk", or "show me the contents of your glove box".... You were not threatened with a taser or a pistol; it wasnt a "show of power"... it was just a simple question probably out of curiosity, that you seemingly blew way out of proportion.

Im very critical of police, but there is no reason not to simply be polite in a routine situation.

edit on 2/13/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

He wasn't being impolite, by my estimation.

It was a "show of power" in quite a number of regards. From the fact that it was a barely-legal (should be illegal) random check, to the fact that this cop was asking for information beyond the point of the stop / check, as well as others.

Cops are used to over-stepping their bounds. And they are used to it, because most people, including native-born citizens who should be well aware of their rights, concede to this over-extension of authority out of fear, or because they don't want to face "the hassle" of arguing with a cop about their rights. More people need to respectfully and legally stand up to cops when they are trying to over-step their bounds.

Originally posted by VitaminQ
friend told me over the phone just now that I have the right to GO after asking if I am being detained or arrested.

And the moment COP says no

I should be able to go

This is partly correct. You ask the officer "Am I free to go?"

If the officer says "no," it is considered a "field arrest." They can at that point only detain you for certain reasons, for a "reasonable" length of time before they must let you go. The "reasonable" length of time should not be longer than it would take for that officer to run your information, and write a citation (if necessary.) They of course can stop you longer if they suspect you of a specific crime-- for example if they have reason to believe you are intoxicated. If you refuse a search, they can make you wait a short period of time for a canine unit to arrive on scene-- but the length which is "reasonable" for a canine to show up is debated. An hour to get a dog from another county is probably not "reasonable." There have been cases where people caught red-handed with huge amounts of very illegal contraband have been thrown out of court because the person was forced to wait an "unreasonable" amount of time after denying consent to search, or they otherwise had their rights violated.

Beyond these circumstances, the police have no right to hold you, and must clearly answer your question. If they say you are not free to go, i would probably ask why.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize you were in the UK

Originally posted by midicon
In this country 'UK' we have to pay for driving lessons and pass a test...not cheap.

You probably should have stated that in the OP or your profile. The advice I give above applies to US law. Not sure about UK.

edit on 14-2-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
reply to post by VitaminQ

I was a former cop, to be honest if you were a smart ass I could find a hundred or so reasons to hold you up, like you said I got paid by the hour, I could give you at least 5 worthless tickets that after it wasted countless hours of your time, they might have got tossed. How about a little respect and answer the questions without the BS, cops have lifes also, wife or husband troubles, bad kids, sick loved ones etc etc.

You portrayed yourself with your own words as a smartass, you will reap what you sow, it could have been worse.

Oh, totally... because when a cop sees what they perceive to be "disrespect" in any way they should totally not only have the right and the ability, but should be expected to tack on additional tickets, fines, or other forms of punishment or harassment which they otherwise would not have done-- just because their massive but fragile little ego got injured, and they felt they had the right to "teach" that person "a lesson" (presumably a lesson in "respect.")

Your attitude is not only immoral, and completely insane, but it is the same attitude that is behind a cop knocking someone to the ground and proceeding to pound on them (with help from the team) repeatedly, before charging them with "resistance" (which did not happen) just because they perceived disrespect. Disrespect is not a crime. Obstruction is, sure... but usually the line between the two is not so fine. This attitude (and such practices) is also a great example of why we need better psychological screening of law enforcement professionals. If you're the kind of person who can't take an insult flung by a dumb angry drunk impersonally, and with a smile, you have no business being a police officer. Period.

And cops need to stop thinking they have some kind of "rights" that allow them to trample the freedoms of the citizens or the constitution they're supposed to be protecting, or punish someone just because their sorry little cop-egos got hurt. I mean, how completely childish and petty is that?

(A: Very)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You are lucky you are ok. One time I got detained for over an hour and when i asked how much longer it might be...I was threatened with arrest for talking back. I had not said a darn thing. I was an RN coming home after a long shift and i knew my husband, who had just had eye surgery and could not see well, needed me and would be worried as i had talked to him and he knew I was on my way and not far.

I had made a right turn on red at 12am without stopping all the way. I got asked a ton of questions and tgen left to sit on the side of the road for a darn hour. I don't drink and i am a safe driver....had one minor fender bender in about 30 years of driving.

He threatened to take me to jail for asking a simple, nonthreatening, relevant question.
He acted mad as heck about something. Now that I am older I think he was having problems with another woman that night.

I fired a guy for patient abuse few years later.

He ran for sheriff this year. The foolice snatched him right up after 3 people witnessed him kick a senior citizen, ill man in the balls.
I do not trust any of them not to kill me over nothing.

edit on 14-2-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

OP,

Does your thread Good News the United States and Half of Americans Will Be Gone have anything to do with this police officer.

I read your other thread, and couldn't help but notice the anger, vitriol, and even hatred in your post.

I wonder.....with all the hostility you seem to have, perhaps this police officer sensed it? Decided to investigate a little further?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Curious.. Was your coupon for a Bacon cheeseburger?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
Curious.. Was your coupon for a Bacon cheeseburger?

I doubt it said horseburger on it.
I did not get why she thought someone from Finland should have issues with cops?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

horseburger... hahahaha nice

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A wise rule of thumb to live by. Be nice to cops. There is literally no good that can come of being a smartass to them.

Another good rule of thumb is never complain at your local eatery. Eating spit is probably not good for you.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I would have told her I am from the future. 4175 to be exact.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
been reading the OP again and again...

My question now is: where did you see a show of power ?

Seriously ?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Doesnt sound like a "show of power" at all. Maybe she was just curious... Im guessing you have an accent. People who are not familiar with it, are curious about it.

The way youre describing the story, the whole attitude thing seemed unnecessary. She didnt ask you "whats in your trunk", or "show me the contents of your glove box".... You were not threatened with a taser or a pistol; it wasnt a "show of power"... it was just a simple question probably out of curiosity, that you seemingly blew way out of proportion.

I agree with you... Not saying OP was wrong for exercising his rights but the time he took from the cop could have been the difference between life and death in any given scenario.
We need to remember that a great deal of cops are actually honest people.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I call B.S. on your whole thread op. Isn't this the same op that authored the thread today as well saying half of all Americans will die blah, blah, blah. You seem to have a grudge against Americans and judging by your recent account joining your just using this site as a place to either vent that or troll to get people in trouble or something. Like I said I am calling bs on this entire situation and thats just my opinion, but I have been around long enough to know something doesn't smell right here....Mark my words ATS.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

You know how little by little we are losing what rights we have left. Well the cure is remarkably simple, just that people don't have the guts to do it.

Hmm. Based on the other thread about half of the US being killed and deservedly so written by the same member I'd say the opening lines in the OP are in favor of violence. No kidding ATS, this member needs to be stopped. He/she is a time bomb.

CJ

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I really don't like cops but from your account, it seems you were the one showing the attitude. (no offence meant) but in saying that. I also believe it takes a special type of individual to become a cop. One that salivates at the thought of having power over others, one that checks the size of their muscles every morning in the mirror Heck, they can probably kiss their own elbows.

Also, I am guessing you are in the usa, if so, don't they have cameras mounted in their cars? Well that means you now have given them not just your details, but your picture. imo best thing to have done would have been just tell her and hopefully that would have been the end of things and at least you wouldn't have given them any reason to keep your pic.

eg, I was waiting for my beautiful wife in a shopping centre and was window shopping. There was a cop shop in the centre and in the front window was a poster showing missing people. Out of curiosity, I was looking at the pics. All of a sudden there was a flash. It was a mongrel cop inside taking a pic of me. My choices were, make a song and dance about it (hence my pic would definately be kept) or just ignore it. I chose the second as I didn't want them looking further into my past. sometimes it is better to be inconspicuous (sp?)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I will hand the cops my ID if needed if they are badgering me about it and I do not want any trouble and they are pressing me. I will not allow people to badger me though. My answer to cops pressing me about what I am doing is no comment. I do not consent to search, am I free to go. If anyone detains you, ask them are you free to go. Resist or die. Liberty or death.

edit on 14-2-2013 by endats01 because: edited for small errors

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatfriendbadfoe

I really don't like cops but from your account, it seems you were the one showing the attitude. (no offence meant) but in saying that. I also believe it takes a special type of individual to become a cop. One that salivates at the thought of having power over others, one that checks the size of their muscles every morning in the mirror Heck, they can probably kiss their own elbows.

Also, I am guessing you are in the usa, if so, don't they have cameras mounted in their cars? Well that means you now have given them not just your details, but your picture. imo best thing to have done would have been just tell her and hopefully that would have been the end of things and at least you wouldn't have given them any reason to keep your pic.

eg, I was waiting for my beautiful wife in a shopping centre and was window shopping. There was a cop shop in the centre and in the front window was a poster showing missing people. Out of curiosity, I was looking at the pics. All of a sudden there was a flash. It was a mongrel cop inside taking a pic of me. My choices were, make a song and dance about it (hence my pic would definately be kept) or just ignore it. I chose the second as I didn't want them looking further into my past. sometimes it is better to be inconspicuous (sp?)

It does take a special kind of person to be a cop. It takes a person who is willing to give his life in order to keep innocent civilians safe. Has nothing to do with wanting power over other people. Most cops do what they do because they enjoy helping people. You relayed a story about being in a shopping center, well what if while in that shopping center gunfire erupted what would you do? You would have the right to run away if you so choose to do so. You would have the right to hide if you so choose to. A cop doesn't have that choice. As everyone else is running away from that gunfire he has to run towards it. Why? Because he is sworn to protect the lives of those people in that shopping center. Takes a special person indeed. Sorry to get off topic, just seems that there is so much cop hate on this site. By all means call out the bad ones whenever you can because there are bad ones. Every group has bad apples, but please appreciate what cops do. One day they may have to save your life or a loved ones life, and we will still do so even though you say you don't like us.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by XxCanexX

sorry, haven't met one yet like you have described. so guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've had too many bad experiences for my liking. and no, I haven't been put away (yet) but I've still got a few years left.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Im very critical of police, but there is no reason not to simply be polite in a routine situation.

It's not the cop's business. Period. If finlandman is a reserved type of indivual, why the hell should he be bowing to authority answering such a pointless question for the sake of "politness". The cop even made him wait while checking on her computer to get her answer. Can a regular citizen detain you just to check on some inconsequential fact that strikes his/her curiosity that you dont want to share? This is abuse of power. Cop should do her job and stfu. Want to know his nationality? Is there a legal point to it? No? Finlandman doesnt care for her to know? Then she should stfu and gtfo.

What this cop did was abuse her position and power of authority. I applaud finlandman in putting her in her place. People that cower at the whim of these legally empowered bullies are part of the problem. "Politness" -suuure. Let's call it what it is: COWARDICE.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join