It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are most (if not all) UFOs man made?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I really haven't been here all that long, and a quick search turn up little so...

I was just thinking that it's odd that UFOs have seemed to increase in sophistication and ability since their general debut in the 40's. When the phenomena first became abundant, most UFOs were reported as awkward saucer shaped eratically moving craft that often interfered with electronics. Now they have become far higher in number and ability, they seem to have lost the traditional "saucer" shape and most have taken the form of a triangle, sphere or cylinder. Also, it seems like there are fewer reported cases of interference with electronic devices during encounters.

I remember that in the 80's there was a toy that consisted of a magnetized spinning top, a magnetized platform, a small concave plastic dish and four wedges to balance the platform. Forgive me for the following explanation, as I have only one basic physics class worth of knowledge as far as this is concerned.

The idea of the toy was to use the wedges to align the magnetized platform with either the earth's EM field or it's gravitational pull (I'm assuming that it's that latter, as the earth's EM field is constantly fluctuating?). Once the platform was properly aligned, you were to place the concave dish on top and proceed to spin the top inside of the dish. If you had everything set up correctly, you could lift the dish and pull it from under the now hovering top. Of course, the top would hang there spinning in thin air (looking exactly like a tiny little UFO).

That toy made me think of the saucer shaped UFOs as being far less sophisticated than they are made out to be. With a large enough (artificially created) magnetic field (which would interfere with electronics?) and a gyroscope for balance (perhaps the outer shell of the saucer) these things sound fairly simple right? IMHO, the only thing that sounds beyond our capability is a power source sufficient for creating such a field.

Over time, these UFOs have taken on new shapes, increased in number and performance, they don't seem to need the gyroscope for stability and they don't seem to cause the same interference anymore. Could this be because WE'VE improved on our own UFO tech over these past few decades?

I'm not saying that I don't believe in aliens at all, but what if the vast majority of these sightings were of man made craft?

If anyone out there has a better comprehension of physics, please share your views. Also, I've searched the web madly for this toy and it looks like it's out of production. If anyone knows where to find one, please let me know.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It's some kinda achievement by the military (or maybe some higher organ?) if they've managed to keep it a secret for this long, but there are more signs that point to this as well.

A couple of months back I saw a documentary on the pheonix lights on the discovery channel and I didnt' realize it until now, but what the documentary says is that the military tried to cover up the original sightings in pheonix, by dropping light flares in formation.

As you might remember (if you saw it or just know about the pheonix lights) the original sightings were of a black, V shaped craft with lights underneath. The vitness said she could see the stars being blocked out and the V shape appeared. Shortly after the military started dropping light flares over a mountain formation and, well, all hell broke loose, all probably in order for the initial sightings to just, go away.

We've also throughout history heard tales of optical camouflage and just recently (well) heard about a scientist making a sort of artificial anti-gravity device, making cannon balls and whatnot fly and "melting" metals at room temperatures. Makes you think how far the government has come with unlimited funds.

And as you say. The first UFO pictures were of clumpsy looking saucers with bulbs underneath and large windows. These days they move quitly, slowly and more often have optical camouflage (not perfect I might add).

Still, why move over populated areas at all if they're human? One answer might be that the technology that has to be used onboard the ship has to be so radically different than the high radiant stuff we have today? Maybe they're (forgive me for making up words) "ultra stealth" type crafts that can't use any kind of navigation equipment or any kind of computer at all? Well, I'll leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drexon
It's some kinda achievement by the military (or maybe some higher organ?) if they've managed to keep it a secret for this long

There are a number of "experts" who claim that the US has at least been working on technologies like this. Also, with the right amount of disinformation, you wouldn't really have to cover up all that much... just convince others to dismiss it.

I like the idea about the stealth and inability to navigate without landmarks. Personally, I tend to prefer the theory that this might be just another method to achieve the NWO. Convince everyone that there is an external "alien" threat and unification (or subtle global domination) would be signifigantly easier.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
www.johnsonsmith.com...

I remember the toy you are referring to, I think this might be it.

[edit on 10/30/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
No, that one seems much newer and less complicated than the original. Thanks for the tip though, as that toy is similar. The one I'm looking for was a stationary platform. You could just sit and watch the top spin in mid air until it lost momentum and stability. It's an old and bulky toy. I think that it may have come from one of those science toy catalogs. Thanks again regardless.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I've finally found something that explains this toy in greater detail, as well as provides the reason why this toy can't be found anymore. Seems like the author of this page was just as impressed as I was.

An amazing invention and a patent failure

The article claims that none were actually marketed until the 90's but I'd swear that the one I played with (and finally mastered a few times) was in the late 80's, but I'm obviously wrong hehe.

[edit on 30-10-2004 by veritas93]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Aah haa! I think I may have come acrossed it. Apparently the invention was called Levitron and was published in the American Journal of physics in April 1997.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Nevermind, it was in production in the 80's. The one at this link is newer and sleeker than the one I played with though. I recommend it for those who like a challenge and have tons of patience. Now that I've found the toy, I guess I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts on this theory.

Levitron

Ha! you beat me to it lol. That's the one.

Our links have the same name, but the one I posted is to the toy's official site. There you can even watch a video of the gadget in action

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Quite an intresting post with a few different angles to look at for the answers (if there are any?)
Reading up on the flying disks the Nazis had during ww2 gives a good place to start if your going for the theory that flying disks are made by humans the other theory i would put forward is that perhaps if UFOs are ET craft then perhaps were just looking at different shapes and models of crafts just like your dad maybe takes his classic ferrari out for a spin at the weekends but during the week he uses his super modern BMW? (sorry bit lame but you see my point?)
I do think your post brings up an intresting theory pointing to them being manmade though,i mean look how quickly the jet aircraft has developed over the past 50 odd years? its not hard to believe are goverments have top secret flying disks working on other forms of propulsion that they could have been developing as rapidly as the jet aircraft over the same time period?

Regards.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I certainly agree that some of the sightings are probably of extra terrestrial origin, but you should go to the Levitron site at the link I provided before and watch the video. It makes the whole UFO issue seem much less spectacular (yet no less exciting).

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think the "triangle" craft are man-made, and the spheres may be as well. Not sure about the others.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What about the saucers? Of all the shapes, I'd say that those are the most likely to be man made.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think there is sufficient evidence to support the idea that some (not all) UFO sightings are us. The Cash/Landrum sighting is a good one to check into. Also I'd like to re-mention that retired Admiral and Chief of Staff to either Ronald Reagan or George Bush Sr. was quoted as saying that he works/heads up a company that is developing "alternative propulsion" methods and specifically anti-gravity drives. He would go no further than that because of security sensitivity issues. Based on that, it is logical to guess that we are up to wacky things in the way of propulsion and weapons sytems. Things that "Joe Average" is gonna' think is just crazy.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think that there is a real possibility that most ufo's that we see are man made by the mililitary. And it would explain why only certain areas around the world experience UFO activity. E.g I live in New Zealand and there has been only one ever sighting of a ufo and that was by a pilot off the coast, he may have been experiencing some weather pattern or lightning.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluck
...only certain areas around the world experience UFO activity. E.g I live in New Zealand and there has been only one ever sighting of a ufo and that was by a pilot off the coast, he may have been experiencing some weather pattern or lightning.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Most sightings do tend to be around heavily industrialized nations right? I know that the US, Mexico, India, much of S. America and most of Europe have really high numbers of sightings anually. I'm sure that China has plenty of sightings as well, but I don't hear of them all that often. If the US has them, then we certainly can't be the only ones. Not after all this time.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Is it possible to make an operational 'Levitron' on a larger scale just outside in your backyard? It would be an interesting project for anyone.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I can't see why you wouldn't be able to make a large scale levitron. Seems like all you'd need is two large permanent magnets and some decent tools. As long as the platform and top are shaped correctly, it should work. The problem would be getting a 30-40 kilo top to spin fast enough lol. The first link that I provided (I think it was the first one) basically tells you how to make it

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I certainly do belive that most if not all UFO's are terrestrial in nature. I think that people sometimes forget that UFO does not mean alien craft. Simply Unidentified Flying Object. But I also belive there is life outside of Earth. To think otherwise is in my opinion very narrow minded.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I would say that a large percantage of Ufo sightings are either reflections from the clouds or moon or some other natural occurence. And the other small percent is a mix of both Extraterestrials and Government Aircraft. But really why would the Government fly top secret aircraft during the day? Now the night sightins of UFOS are more credible then day time me thinks

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by THX 1138
But really why would the Government fly top secret aircraft during the day?

Maybe they fly them during the day to see if there is a flaw in their cloaking device?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join