It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to finish with your partner ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was just hanging out my window having a smoke and 2 girls walked by.
As it seems to be today they were both texting (SMS'ing) when one looked at the other and shouted "The just dumped me) and it got me thinking.
I guess they were around the 15- 16 year old mark.
I was brought up to never hit a woman, always respect others, and if you have a problem with someone go to them and deal with it honestly.
Every ex of mine was taken out for a drink at least, and a face to face chat about out our feelings, and our relationship. From both sides.
Mutual respect is the basis for a relationship I may be getting old; but surely dumping by text is surely the most cowardly act of a male ?
Like I said I may be getting old
edit on 13-2-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Reposted

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Its easy, I'm just going to the shops love for a loaf of bread"

Never return.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I just say "That's that"

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Live by the sword,die by the sword.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Not bread! More likely sausage/s to come (as oppose to go)!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

You think its just males that dump via text or facebook etc..?
Its a generational thing and seems to be perfectly acceptable by both sexes at that generation.
Im not just going on a guess here, my daughter is 15 and hear some things that her and her friends talk about when they are staying overnight.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

It just makes me wonder about what we teach our kids ?
My estranged son asked me on facebook the other night (he's 14) how to dump his girlfriend as he had a new girl lined up.(like father like son)
I said take her for a walk and a talk and be honest.
Take the black eye and learn my son .

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
Live by the sword,die by the sword.

Yes but the Pen is mightier than the sword, so tEXting is cowardly and stop thinking with your Pen...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, since I am part of "that generation" I can give you some insight. The other girls at my school believe that breakup via text message means that he didn't want to have to tell you over the phone and deal with how you would react.

Basically the lowest and most hurtful way to breakup with a girl.

It does not mean he is a coward. Just...a douchbag.

edit on 2/13/13 by Philosorapter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philosorapter
Well, since I am part of "that generation" I can give you some insight. The other girls at my school believe that breakup via text message means that he didn't want to have to tell you over the phone and deal with how you would react.

Basically the lowest and most hurtful way to breakup with a girl.

It does not mean he is a coward. Just...a douchbag.

edit on 2/13/13 by Philosorapter because: (no reason given)

Over the phone ?
What happened to face to face ?
What happened to respect ?
Thanks for the insight

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Have you been to a highschool recently? Trouble, everywhere. Respect isn't really of great importance in here. I'm not like that though. As you can see, I enjoy ATS. Even though there's a thread posted everyday about how bad we are.

And yes, breaking up Face to Face would be much better. Just so long as its not in school. That would be even worse than a text.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well, even I qualify as of "That generation" really (20 now, and I've seen this kind of thing for too long before that age) so yeah, I'll briefly chime in here too. Now, I certainly wouldn't ever do the break up via text thing, that truly is very cowardly, but it does unfortunately happen quite a lot nowadays from what I've seen, even by close friends of mine.

One of the main reason's given - "I don't want to have to deal with it face to face, this is just much easier lol" - Well, that's what I've seen as a given reason anyway. Of course I couldn't, and wouldn't attempt to, speak for everyone. But thinking about one's self is always that little bit more important than anything else in that situation it seems. The girl's, or even Boy's, feelings don't seem to matter anymore as, after all, it's a break up.

It's a harsh world indeed. I would be really gutted is I was on the receiving end of such a cowardly break up.
edit on 13-2-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philosorapter
reply to post by cody599

Have you been to a highschool recently? Trouble, everywhere. Respect isn't really of great importance in here. I'm not like that though. As you can see, I enjoy ATS. Even though there's a thread posted everyday about how bad we are.

And yes, breaking up Face to Face would be much better. Just so long as its not in school. That would be even worse than a text.

My wife is a science teacher so I get stories every day, but no I haven't personally been to school for a while, I did visit my old school last year after 28 years and was treated with complete respect as an 'old boy' I'm guessing the word is respect.

You just earned mine

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think it depends from person to person whether they think it is acceptable to break up remotely. Most people I went to high school with (graduated 2011) thought it was cowardly.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Also depends on how serious it is.

If Ive been seeing someone long enough and I feel a chat is polite to end things then I will do it but if Ive only known the girl a short time I normally just ignore her and shell go away, if she doesnt go away or she does something a bit messed up I have no issues sending a text saying we should see other people.

I wouldnt break up with a serious long term GF by text and as you mentioned the girls were only 15-16 so I doubt the relationship was headed for marriage anyway LOL

top topics

join