Nanny state alert; Mom charged for letting son pump gas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by cody599

The child was later punished because he didn't check the oil!

Or finish the cigarette before mum was arrested, and the pistol was loaded
The police said "It was a smoking gun"

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

In most cases, they're looking at hazardous as cutting blades, or immediate threat of death. If you look at labor laws, under 18 aren't allowed to use certain bits of equipment. If you're going to try to protect them from every single danger, you might as well pass a law that states they can't leave a padded room until their 18.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
A witness, Gregory McCarter, reported that he had observed “a female instructing a very young child on how to pump gas into the vehicle.” McCarter, who said he saw the boy “pumping gas into the vehicle by himself,” added that, “the boy must have pulled the pump out before releasing the handle, because he ended up spraying gasoline onto himself.”

The first time I taught my son to pump gas was when he was fourteen and he did this exact same thing. It was a bonehead move on my part to assume he knew not to hold the lever down while extracting the nozzle from the tank, but sheesh, it was not a big deal! So arrest me.

Slightly more boneheaded on the part of this mother to attempt this with a three year old. But grounds for arrest? Nah.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
It's been illegal for anyone under 15 to pump gas for as long as I can remember. I used to pump gas when I was younger, then had to stop because it was illegal. It's up to the state whether they prosecute or not if they're caught.

I must be getting old. When I was young, no customers pumped gas

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

There were still a lot of them around when I was younger too. But when we did go to places that you had to pump your own, I pumped it, and it was Exciting.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

The first time I taught my son to pump gas was when he was fourteen and he did this exact same thing. It was a bonehead move on my part to assume he knew not to hold the lever down while extracting the nozzle from the tank, but sheesh, it was not a big deal! So arrest me.

Fourteen should be just fine. The province I live in let's you have a learners permit at that age.
Almost all gas stations are self serve, so good to learn at that age.
We learn from our mistakes, so I'm sure he knew how to do it better the next time.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Okay, she's stupid, she's a big fat pig, she's a moron of the highest order.

But.........

Why does the State get money for her actions?

Why does being stupid mean the corporation of the STATE gets several hundred dollars? Was the State, the corporate fiction, harmed in some way? Why does the State have a right to collect from this woman or put her in jail?

What of the moral authority that this policeman is, walked over the woman and said: "I'm officer Fife, I see you've let your son pump gas. While it seems okay, it probably isn't the best idea here, he's small, and physics says his weight to the pump handle weight is out of whack. The gas on his shirt means he's not able to do it. So, how about we take off his shirt, head over the fountain and put it in water on it to make it safe to transport and we agree that he can't pump gas until he drives?"

Now all you "she's a fat pig people" tell me why the State collecting 500 dollars, 500 dollars that might be used to feed this child, is WAY BETTER then the above scenario.

I think, that because the morally superior policeman didn't do what I outlined, he's a tax collecting scum whose using the false position of "protecting" the people to hide is real purpose - tax collection for the impersonal corporate entity known as the State and I think that any of you who think that the impersonal State is the moral arbitor of your life is far more moronic then the woman here. I think that if you require the State to control your behavior through tax collection then you have no clue what is really going on in the very scenario you proclaim to be an expert in.

Just for clarification, city "codes" are "codes of conduct" as in, "they employee handbook of a corporation" and are not "laws" as no impartial, non-government employee has ever heard a case about gas pumping and the damages that result. You all have simply agreed to abide by the "codes of conduct" of the corporation you are employed by and mindlessly applaud when other employees are ratted out and fined for their actions, oddly enough, the penalties never help the other employees, but are used simply to keep the system taxing.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I see it as a safety issue. If 3 year olds are going to be pumping gas at the station, I won't be using it.

I once saw an employee sitting next to a pump smoking while people ran the pumps. Time to move on to another station.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

You go down in the south and they stand on the passenger side of the car smoking while they're pumping. First time I ever saw that I was like "Next!" and kept going.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I wonder if these people who seem to ignore safety rules have ever seen what happens when gasoline ignites. Vapors also make a nice boom.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I see it as a safety issue. If 3 year olds are going to be pumping gas at the station, I won't be using it.

I once saw an employee sitting next to a pump smoking while people ran the pumps. Time to move on to another station.

That is a good point; where were the gas station employees when this happened?

In some places, they won't even let you stretch the nozzle across the car if you pull up on the wrong side of the pump. They'd rather you sit in a big, long line at the "proper" pump while the other pump sits empty because hardly any cars have the gas cap on the passenger side anymore.

You would think that if this was so damn dangerous, the attendant would have rushed out and told her to stop. Maybe the state should look to go after the attendant for allowing such "dangerous and irresponsible" activity to take place at the pumps.

I think nobody saw any problems with this until he spilled the gas. I would bet that she was right there over top of him, letting him pretent to pump the gas (because, really, do you think a kid that small can pull back the lever on the nozzle by himself) when he unexpectedly pulled the pump out which sparked the panic.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
The charge kind of freaks me out.

Endangering the welfare?

So am I killing myself every time I fill up?

If you do not see het problem here then I suspect that yes, you are killing yourself every time you fill up!!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It looks to me like the endangering part comes from the mother being neglectful not the actual usage of the pump.

Which is why she was charged.

And the actual use of the pump was endangering as well....the kid dowsed himself with petrol.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

I think, that because the morally superior policeman didn't do what I outlined, he's a tax collecting scum whose using the false position of "protecting" the people to hide is real purpose - tax collection for the impersonal corporate entity known as the State and I think that any of you who think that the impersonal State is the moral arbitor of your life is far more moronic then the woman here. I think that if you require the State to control your behavior through tax collection then you have no clue what is really going on in the very scenario you proclaim to be an expert in.

So by your reasoning, it should be fine to knock back half a bottle of whiskey and drive your car, if the police pull you over and you haven't killed or maimed anyone then they should just give you a friendly talking to and let you go on your way.....because if you knew that was what was going to happen the next time, and you'd had your friendly telling off, then there's no way you'd do it again......would you?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I think it's pretty well agreed she's an idiot and a poster girl for >FAIL< on parenting in this case, at least.

I don't even have a problem with cops being called. It really is that bad for a judgement thing.

I DO have a problem with outright charges, fines, fees and lawyer bills that will go along with it. A fair part of that to the state, of course.

For what? What precisely is accomplished by running her through the system to have a life record on this and a kid live with that too? It seems a stern talking to, warning and perhaps a report for future reference would have worked as well.

Discretion can be a real useful thing....at least it used to be, once upon a time.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

But at this point we don't know if charges will be filed. The *police* charged her, not the DA. So there may be no legal fees involved, if the DA doesn't press charges against her.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I would barely let a three year old pour milk for his own cereal. What part of EXPLOSIVE and FLAMMABLE does she not get?

Some people are too stupid to reproduce.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

True... Although the charge on arrest will always be with her and particularly on a child issue.

I had a little misdemeanor thing...it was a stupid kid thing from a couple months after I turned 18. Just an arrest.... No DA follow-up. I was told it would never ever come back up. Nawww... meant nothing. Until a dark night on a roadside in South Dakota and a Sheriff Deputy looking over my loaded gun and that arrest from a lifetime and over 15 years in the past at that time. Errr.... Just doesn't seem worth how absolutely everything is an arrest with no room given anymore. 0 tolerance on everything and a record for all on something.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
i'm against nanny state more than anyone else, but

she knows or should have known the law. it's her own fault for breaking the law.

Gasoline is dangerous. Can be fatal if swallowed, can cause blindness if enough is in the eyes, inhaling vapors can destroy the lungs. Would you let a 3 year old play with a machete to learn how to cut things? Seriously.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

NO - it is not " overboard " - due to his inability to operate the pump correctly - the child doused himself in petrol

the risk of immolation was negligable - but petrol can do a lot of damage to the eyes , nasal cavities and throat - and is toxic if swallowed

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join