It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny state alert; Mom charged for letting son pump gas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
reply to post by micmerci

What would you do if you were there? Its just a quick question

I would have called the police. This took place in Lancaster County, the home of the Amish. For those who do not know, there are several deaths of Amish children each year caused by using farm equipment. These children are far too young to be doing adult tasks. It is child endangerment plain and simple.
edit on 13-2-2013 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Something tells me that, if he hadn't spilled the gas on himself, everyone would have thought; "Oh how cute! That mom is teaching her little man how to pump gas. Isn't that adorable."

That's probably waht a lot of folks at that gas station thought right up until the moment he pulled the pump out of the car.

Then when he sprayed gas on himself and his mom, they all changed to "OMG, I can't believe that hidious woman was soooooo irresponsible! Someone call the cops and lock her away!".

I seriously wonder if anything would have ever come of this had the child not spilled the gas? I'll bet a cop could have pulled up right beside her in the station and wouldn't have given the scene a 2nd thought.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
A little gas isn't going to hurt him. As long as they went home and cleaned up. I don't see anything in the report about the mom smoking while he pumped the gas or anything that suggests she was negligent. Any kid going up in a rural environment is going to become acquainted with the cosmetic properties of gasoline at a young age!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I live in Lancaster County now for 18 years- a NYC implant. I think people out here are very "nosy" for lack of a better term. Everyone is into everyone elses business. People were probably all up in arms from the first sighting of this. I can see it playing out how you described in other places but I honestly think not out here.
edit on 13-2-2013 by micmerci because: cuz I am a grammar anal nazi

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
3 is a little young

Just the handle is probably 1/3rd the size of the kid.

Besides she was probably just being a lazy fat slob.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11

That makes me wonder if the woman't weight had anything to do with people's reaction to this incident? A lot of people equate being overweight with being lazy. Add to that the child appears to be of mixed race in central (rural) Pa and maybe that's another reason the police and the people who wittnessed this event reacted so harshly.

I wonder what part weight discrimination and racism may have had to play in this?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci

Originally posted by Casualboy100
reply to post by micmerci

What would you do if you were there? Its just a quick question

I would have called the police. This took place in Lancaster County, the home of the Amish. For those who do not know, there are several deaths of Amish children each year caused by using farm equipment. These children are far too young to be doing adult tasks. It is child endangerment plain and simple.
edit on 13-2-2013 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

Hey not to go OT or anything but I found it to be quite ridiculous as I was just today reading labor laws and saw that's not against the law for the kids to work on parent's farms and even though it states "any job that is NOT potentially hazardous" I am thinking wth job is that on a farm they're ALL potentially dangerous even feeding because even farm animals are unpredictable.
edit on 13-2-2013 by ldyserenity because: clarify

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yea, I respect the Amish because of their strong work ethic. They work hard right along with their children. I just wish they would give their kids a few more years of childhood before taking on such adult responsibilities. I don't think this woman held the same ethic.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by superluminal11

That makes me wonder if the woman't weight had anything to do with people's reaction to this incident? A lot of people equate being overweight with being lazy. Add to that the child appears to be of mixed race in central (rural) Pa and maybe that's another reason the police and the people who wittnessed this event reacted so harshly.

I wonder what part weight discrimination and racism may have had to play in this?

The show Honey Boo Boo probably played a roll as well.

Besides there is age racism when one is hiring for a job. Many think someone in their late 40s is set in their ways and not much production left in them, health risks etc so the ones in their mid 20s and early 30s get the job.

However....not something to call the police or Attorney General over.

link   

Yeah, just walking out the back door on a farm is potentially hazardous! That being said, I think I drove the tractor the first time when I was 5, And I was pulling the hay wagon regularly by 8. We learned early and quickly because everyone had to contribute, and no one had time to hold your hand. Just the way things are on a family farm.

link   

There used to be a week off from school in Maine so kids could go out and plant potatoes and other crops. And another week to go out and pick them. There are jobs like that that aren't dangerous, as well as other other jobs that can be done. If the animals are in the pen where they just stick their head through to eat, kids can feed them safely.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would have been the reason they would've hat to post signs at Pumps "Must be 15 and older to pump gas" Because I really am ignorant of the law because like I said in NJ you never pump your own gas.

But I think a little common sense goes a long way, my child was very advanced for her age so I let her do it at 8 whereas someone else's kid who may be not as advanced would probably not allow them to pump. But I also let my elder children learn driving on a privately owned street (Trailer park) at 13. I had a beater car that was really an easy driving car for learners. The only trouble I got into was letting a adult learn on my car.
My thoughts though is even the most advanced child shouldn't be pumping gas at three. No way. But to charge her with a stiff penalty like that is ludicrous I think a warning would've sufficed.
edit on 13-2-2013 by ldyserenity because: clarity

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
At this point it's only the police that have filed charges. The DA hasn't filed anything yet as far as I can find out. If the DA chooses not to go through with charges, it can be reduced to a warning, or even just a talking to.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

There used to be a week off from school in Maine so kids could go out and plant potatoes and other crops. And another week to go out and pick them. There are jobs like that that aren't dangerous, as well as other other jobs that can be done. If the animals are in the pen where they just stick their head through to eat, kids can feed them safely.

Yeah what about heat exhaustion, still picking is potentially hazardous. Pick out in the fields in florida weather in mid august and see if it's not potentially hazardous...and then there's farm vermin you have the potential to come into contact with, and snakes that may be or may not be poisonous.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Absolutely.

Having such an extremely early stage of development of a child of three exposed to such a toxic substance, breathing it, touching the pump handle, let alone the danger of spilling it on his self. Incredibly shortsighted thinking, nearly criminally so.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I think it will just be a warning and documentation. With all the accidents that happen out here involving small children, I don't think they will try to make an example of this lady.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

A police review of surveillance video “confirmed that the female driver had allowed her toddler child to pump gas by himself” into a Toyota Rav4, according to a probable cause affidavit. The video, an investigator added, “showed the toddler spraying himself with gasoline as he removed the pump.”

That is incredible. I am one for the state to stay out of personal business and to not nanny us but this is ridiculously criminal stupidity shown by this person. Gasoline is very toxic and super volatile. She let him do this by himself? The child sprayed himself with it.

The nanny state title makes ATS's lose credibility we are headed to a police state but this kind of hyperbola does not help us when the mainstream is already painting us as nut-jobs.

edit on 13-2-2013 by LoneGunMan because: clarity

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
With that kind of parenting
Maybe she was teaching him to smoke at the same time

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I for one don't mind the state enacting and enforcing reasonable restrictions to help prevent me from being consumed in a fireball at the gas station. Gasoline is dangerous. They are very lucky that nothing ignited that gas.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

The child was later punished because he didn't check the oil!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join