Nanny state alert; Mom charged for letting son pump gas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sure, trying to teach him at age 3 may not have been the wisest parenting move but bringing CRIMINAL CHARGES for this is way overboard IMHO.

When you think of all the teenagers and even some grown adults out there who have a hard time figuring out how to pump gas into their own cars, this mom should have been applauded for trying to teach her young one life skills at an early age.

Mom Charged For Letting Son, 3, Pump Gasoline

Pennsylvania woman who allegedly allowed her three-year-old son to pump gas into the family car was charged today with endangering the welfare of a child, police report.

A witness, Gregory McCarter, reported that he had observed “a female instructing a very young child on how to pump gas into the vehicle.” McCarter, who said he saw the boy “pumping gas into the vehicle by himself,” added that, “the boy must have pulled the pump out before releasing the handle, because he ended up spraying gasoline onto himself.”

A police review of surveillance video “confirmed that the female driver had allowed her toddler child to pump gas by himself” into a Toyota Rav4, according to a probable cause affidavit. The video, an investigator added, “showed the toddler spraying himself with gasoline as he removed the pump.”

While Moran Camara and the boy left the gas station before police arrived around 9:15 PM, witnesses provided cops with the vehicle’s license plate number.

The Smoking Gun

Sure, she should have supervised him more closely and probably learned her lesson after both of them got splashed but, getting the police involved was way overboard.

Jeff Dunham on his daughter's first time:

A few real life examples:

I think her only crime is teaching him early so she can't post a funny vid of his first time when he gets his own car.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's been illegal for anyone under 15 to pump gas for as long as I can remember. I used to pump gas when I was younger, then had to stop because it was illegal. It's up to the state whether they prosecute or not if they're caught.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The mother is an idiot.

The child is too young for something like that. You never know what a 3 year old is going to
do from one moment to the next.

“the boy must have pulled the pump out before releasing the handle, because he ended up spraying gasoline onto himself.”
- from the article...

edit on 13-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The charge kind of freaks me out.

Endangering the welfare?

So am I killing myself every time I fill up?

If so it's time to being back full service gas stations. Better a pump jockey gets sick and dies than me.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

because he ended up spraying gasoline onto himself.”

And thats why they are not allowed to do it, and why the mother is probably just infact a stupid person.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This lady was actually featured as the Moron of the Day on a PA radio station. She is in fact a lazy idiot. People saw the child spill gas on himself and alerted authorities- as well they should have. Moronic!!

ETA: Appropriate first name- Moran
edit on 13-2-2013 by micmerci because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

“the boy must have pulled the pump out before releasing the handle, because he ended up spraying gasoline onto himself.”

I think it's totally appropriate that she was charged, kid could have blinded himself!

What the hell goes through some parents minds?.....a 3 year old pumping gas!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

You never really can say just based on the age of the child. I've seen some toddlers who act more mature than some 40 year olds.

Me, I'd like to see the video to know how well she was supervising the whole thing. If she wasn't right next to him the whole time, then it was bad parenting. Based on the fact that they both got sprayed, It sounds to me like she was right there the whole time.

She probably should have gotten a talking to by cops but, if there was no real harm done, there's no reason to bring charges. I'm sure she learned her lesson after they both got sprayed and I doubt she'll be trying to teach him again any time soon. A lot of parents make the mistake of assuming their kids are ready to learn new things before they're really ready. Should all parents who try to teach their children life skills at an early age be punished?

The criminal charges are just plain unneccesary IMO. Why is it that people believe the state needs to step in and bring charges whenever someone makes an honest mistake? I can't understand the mentality of this type of people.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Something tells me it wasn't about "teaching life skills" so much as it was "I'm so lazy my 3 year old is gonna pump my gas"

If she is not monitoring him, she's not teaching him anything.

I'd like to see the footage.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The charge kind of freaks me out.
Endangering the welfare?
So am I killing myself every time I fill up?

How old are you?.....are you 3 years old?

You don't think allowing a 3 year old to play with a gasoline pump is endangering his welfare?

I take it when you fill up you don't end up dowsing yourself in petrol do you?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Three years old is a little young to be pumping gas, but if the child was curious I think it would have been okay IF the mother would have been right there with him to assist and supervise. The woman was an idiot for leaving the child there to pump gas on his own, but I think that a stern warning would have been sufficient to dissuade her from doing it again, at least until the child is quite a bit older.

When I was a kid I always pumped gas for my mother, but I was at least old enough to be in school before I started doing it. Pumping gas before age 15 being illegal in some states is going a little overboard if you ask me, but so is allowing an unsupervised 3 year old to do it.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

It looks to me like the endangering part comes from the mother being neglectful not the actual usage of the pump.

If I put my kid on my lap and let him "steer" the car in a big parking lot at a snails pace am I endangering the child? If I just toss the kid my keys and say "go pick up your sister" am I endangering the child?

Both are against the law however.
edit on 13-2-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

kid looks like he is 4.

My parents let me pump gas.....when I was like 12 maybe.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It only says the child got splashed with gasoline.
I suppose she probably lit a cigarette after leaving for good measure.
My kids no way I would have let them pump gas at that age.
But I tend to agree criminal charges is going too far.
More nanny state money-grubbing.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

What would you do if you were there? Its just a quick question

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Unbelievable.. I remember being a kid and having my old man show me how to pump gas, even riding down a long empty road on his lap with the impression I was driving. Some of the dearest memories as a child, but for crying out loud how could someone just leave their child, unattended to with a substance potentially dangerous?

I believe it was a good thing the police got involved, because this womans clear lack of any maternal instincts is frightening. What else is this child doing while she is not looking? What other bad habits has this "mother" taught her impressionable child. She should be investigated at least to be fit as a care taker.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
As far as I can tell, there's no law pertaining to a minimum age at which someone may pump gas in Pa.

Combustible and Flammable Liquids Act

Probably why the cops charged her with endangering. I'm sure if there had been any specific laws in this case, they would have used them as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Well 3 is a little young. I grew up not knowing how to pump gas (since NJ is the only state that doesn't let the customer pump their gas) But I wonder my kid pumped mine at 8 yrs old here in Florida so I wonder if I could have been in trouble? My kid wanted to pump it though, she asked me to let her do it. Now I am wondering if I could have been in big trouble if a cop had seen, I mean how young is too young to them?

TEA:
Confession, I still don't know how the hell to make the pump stay pumping hands free. I have to hold it the entire time...OMG
edit on 13-2-2013 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
3 is a bit young.

I know my 4 year old wants to do everything for herself. But that's a little way out of the acceptable range of things to do.

As for how do you have to be to pump gas?
Most places say you have to be at least 14.
Though I guess if you have a learners permit you need to be able to pump gas at that age you get the permit.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There are warnings all over the pump about what to do and not do to prevent combustion...I doubt the 3 year old could read them.

This poor child has a long row to hoe with a dipwad mother like this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join