It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant teen sues parents over abortion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Nawww.. They've both felt that way at times...but No. I was the typical Cop's kid. The children of Cops generally go one of two ways as I saw with my own eyes and learned in a more formal way later. We either become rebels to seek the opposite of 'Dad'....or follow in the footsteps to become a cop ourselves.

Me? Well.... As I mentioned, they instilled the moral foundation early on which gave me something to come BACK to ...as I was well on my way to being the first category. I certainly went far enough to make the second category impossible, formal record from anything or not.

It was things like a point blank and honest 'birds and bees' talk without the uncomfy moments or giggly awkwardness some parents I know have described. I think having it straight, in that area, is what made condom use something I didn't see as optional but survival. Pregnancy was a BIG one....but so was having VERY detailed descriptions of Venereal Disease, Vietnam style, from a guy who'd been there to ..ahem...know.

Some things don't even have to be seen to never forget or get out of one's head.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
At this stage the parents should let her know that there are two options.

1. She aborts. Doesn't ruin any life because the baby doesn't even know it exists.
2. She gives birth. Ruins her life and the baby's life due to the conditions they will be living in, since her parents are not obliged to help her.

Choose carefully.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'd like to pose a question to all those that have responded here:

What if this story was about the opposite? What if she wanted an abortion, and the parents were trying to stop it?

Would you feel the same way?

Here is my 2¢....

This really isn't a question of the teenager's rights versus the parent's rights, or even the rights of the unborn child, it is about where the line is drawn when it comes to outside influences dictating to you, and limiting your ability to make a choice.

So, if we say that because the "child" is only 16 she doesn't have the right to make a choice, and her parents have the "right" to dictate to her what she must do then aren't we also saying that it is ok for our peers, our churches, or our government to have the ability to make choices for us because it is "in our best interest" or we have been deemed "irresponsible" or unable to make a decision? Does it end with the abortion issue? With a marriage issue? With a job issue?

As I see it, the problem with society today is that we spend too much time trying to dictate to others without taking responsibility for our own actions and how they affect others. Instead of taking responsibility, or allowing someone to take responsibility, we are teaching our children that someone else will take responsibility. Rather than educating ourselves and our children about responsibility and the consequences of our choices we are teaching them to cave to pressure from parents, peers, churches and the government. And THEN when we cave to that dictated choice we stand around pointing fingers and placing blame instead of facing the consequences of our actions and our choices.

Should this teenager be allowed to make the choice? Absolutely, but she should also be educated as to what the potential ramifications of that choice are, and be able and ready to face the consequences. If she chooses to overcome them she will have a good life, if she chooses to stand around and place blame then the probability is that she will wind up on the welfare rolls.

THAT is the reality of what this is about.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
What if this story was about the opposite? What if she wanted an abortion, and the parents were trying to stop it?

Yes. And I said so in my post.

Love your post! I agree completely. So many parents try to prevent their children from experiencing the "pain" that they went through. This story seems like that. I wonder how old the parents were when the daughter was born... Sad fact is, preventing that pain, also prevents the precious learning that actions have consequences. Consequences that we have to deal with. How are kids supposed to learn that if parents prevent them from it?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

Yes. And I said so in my post.

Love your post! I agree completely. So many parents try to prevent their children from experiencing the "pain" that they went through. This story seems like that. I wonder how old the parents were when the daughter was born... Sad fact is, preventing that pain, also prevents the precious learning that actions have consequences. Consequences that we have to deal with. How are kids supposed to learn that if parents prevent them from it?

I think some degree of pain is good to learn. But if it's the kind of pain that will complicate a person's life too much, then it is better that the person gets a second chance.
edit on 13/2/13 by Jepic because: To correct a grammatical error.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If you abort that baby you might be aborting the next Einstein .or Jordan,you might be killing the next Springsteen or Bill Gates.

While I might be all for aborting the kid that got my 16 year old daughter pregnant
I could never have my children abort my grandchildren

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Having read the article and viewed the video, the opinions are going to be split down the middle on this one.

There will be those that will argue on the part that she should carry the child, as abortion is wrong and that she is old enough to make that decision.

And there will be those that will argue that the parents are right as this could very well ruin her life and the life of the father, as they are in short children.

The problem here is that both sides are right. The child is old enough to make that decision, but ultimately is still a child under the protection of the parents, who have to feed and cloth this girl till she is 18. While some think that the parents are wrong for wanting their daughter to have an abortion, the reality may be that they don't want to be burdened with the cost or having to raise another child, all cause their daughter got pregnent, and from the article, it also sounds like that the parents of the boy do not want that burden either.

Then there is society, in this day and age, the problem being that society can not afford such either, as it will cost everyone, as there will be medical bills, and other costs associated with this as well. And there is no guarantee that the child will grow up either wanted or healthy if left to this child.

The parents have no choice, but to go to court, to either argue for their right as parents, to raise and ensure that their child is given proper medical treatment or to be forced to allow for thier child to be allowed to keep the baby that she will now bear.

Make no mistake this is a lose/lose situation all around, cause if the courts rule against the parents, they will have a choice to make, and what happens if they decide something that the girl does not agree with, then what more court? Cause if the court rules against them, then they will either have to persue a course to either put the child up for adoption or the have their daughter emancipated and no longer their responsibility. And the same would have to go for the boy, as he is half responsible for such.

There are many issues here that are on trial, one is the right of a child versus the right of a parent.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you.

More-so than parents trying to save a child from "pain" the question is who has the right to dictate to make a decision for you, and under what circumstances? It doesn't end with a parent trying to save a child pain, and that is the scary part. Look at all the "nanny state" type laws. This mentality runs rampant through our society and is gaining momentum because rather than take responsibility for our choices (good and bad) we place blame, therefore allowing others ( peers,churches, governments, etc.) to step in and make that choice for us. It limits our ability to think, to use common sense, and to make responsible choices and learn to deal with the consequences thereof.

I applaud this young lady for standing up for the right to make a choice and not allowing herself to be dictated to. I also think that in this way she is saying that she able and willing to take responsibility for her choices. The sad part is that most of society doesn't, and is why all these "nanny state" laws are being passed, limiting our ability to make choices and therefore be able to act in a responsible manner, and ultimately the ability to think for ourselves.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
At this stage the parents should let her know that there are two options.
emphasis mine

It's a little late to lay out her options "at this stage."

My parents made me very aware, well beforehand, what my options were.

This kept me from having sex without forethought. If I chose to play like an adult, I would have to live like one or suffer the consequences.

Nothing wrong with setting ground rules/sticking to them. Maybe if this family was more consistent early on they wouldn't be dealing with this now. The fact they are leads me to believe they didn't instill their values/rules on their daughter well enough.

Maybe she just didn't get it or thinks rules don't apply to her. If she needs mom/dad to bail her out she wasn't adult enough to have sex to begin with. I doubt she's mature enough to know what the "right thing" is.

If she decides to keep the baby, someone is going to have to re-raise her while raising the child for her. Otherwise she'll just keep making more exactly like her. Sadly some parents end up with full grown forever children.

Too bad my parents weren't as strict with my man-child brother, he's nothing but sad. Parents don't do their children any favors by shielding them from responsibility.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There awful parents, in my opinion the only reason there should be abortions would be medical reason. Inconvenience is not a reason to abort a baby.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rumor21

I'm assuming that if the girl wanted to abort and the parents were trying to force her to carry it, they would be "good parents" in your eyes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's her choice, not the parents'.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
i'm amazed at some of the post, so far in life i have raised 5 kids,
none of them were mine. But that did not mean i did not claim them.
Sure, they cost a lot, and there are times they are a pain in the butt,
but what you get out of it is worth more than any amount of money or overtime.

It would be rough if my daughter came home pregnant, i hope she never has to
face that decision, but i would not be one to encourage abortion.

You also have to think of the mental issues that would arise, imagine your self at 16
knowingly killing your child.. to live with that for the rest of your life.

I am not pro abortion, while i do believe its mostly the woman choice, i say mostly,
because there should be a discussion between the male and female involved.

Loosing a child effects the guy as much as it dose the girl, i know this from experience,
my first wife was pregnant, we did not know it, she slipped on ice going down stairs
out of the house, and that was that. It is a hard thing to deal with, especially at a young age.

kids raising kids is never a good thing, but with a little help and guidance from the parents
it can be done, with a good outcome.

such a disposable society we live in now days, if its broke, throw it away,
if its not working, get a new one.

its no wonder we are where we are. Some days i'm ashamed to be human.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Or option #3

She gives birth to the baby there by not killing it. Put's it up for adoption, and not ruin her life. Makes a couple very happy that can't have children of their own. And her parents do not have to raise a grand child they do not want.

I would say option 3 is a win/win/win situation for everyone involved. I'm wondering why no one in her life is suggesting this as a viable option?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by Jepic

Or option #3

She gives birth to the baby there by not killing it. Put's it up for adoption, and not ruin her life. Makes a couple very happy that can't have children of their own. And her parents do not have to raise a grand child they do not want.

I would say option 3 is a win/win/win situation for everyone involved. I'm wondering why no one in her life is suggesting this as a viable option?

You have a very good point. That is the best solution.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Please keep in mind that for the vast majority of history the kids you had were workers. That's right, labor. Didn't mean a parent couldn't love their child but life has played by a different rule book recently. And in turn played a cruel joke on casual minds.

To make it possible for children not to think and degrade our society and nation is not a good thing. Look at our schools now, look at all the people on welfare. We need people that can do and not people that can take and take and take. This child's "baby" would become a burden on the parents. They would be forced baby sitters, their finances would be robbed, the child would very likely not achieve anything in life. They don't deserve that because this girl liked the feeling be being screwed.

I always say take away all of these incentives for women opening their legs for anything that looks good at the moment and you'll see society take a curve to the better. Why? Because then these girls will be very careful who gets inside them and when as well as whom will father their children. The idealism of loved based on hormones is societal suicide.

Oh, and for the people who say "They could have been the next Einstien", this is EXTREMELY unlikely. Usually the people that become something great have faced great difficulty in life. They haven't been sucking on the government tit or feeding off their parents in a slovenly stupor all their lives.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
They probably just don't want to be supporting another mouth, and they don't want her to wind up as a welfare mother that never manages to graduate high school and it permanently dependent upon the system.

I don't think that they should force her to, but I absolutely do believe that they are looking out for hers as well as their own welfare.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join