It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Werewolves with Love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Since that old romantic holiday known as Valentine's Day is soon approaching I thought I would share some tidbits of info about the how and why of its celebration.

To the Romans, February was also sacred to Juno Februata, the goddess of febris (“fever”) of love, and of women and marriage. On February 14, billets (small pieces of paper, each of which had the name of a teen-aged girl written on it) were put into a container. Teen-aged boys would then choose one billet at random. The boy and the girl whose name was drawn would become a “couple,” joining in erotic games at feasts and parties celebrated throughout Rome. After the festival, they would remain sexual partners for the rest of the year. This custom was observed in the Roman Empire for centuries.
The church whitewashed Lupercalia even further. Instead of putting the names of girls into a box, the names of “saints” were drawn by both boys and girls. It was then each person’s duty to emulate the life of the saint whose name he or she had drawn. This was Rome’s vain attempt to “whitewash” a pagan observance by “Christianizing” it, which God has not given man the power or authority to do. Though the church at Rome had banned the sexual lottery, young men still practiced a much toned-down version, sending women whom they desired handwritten romantic messages containing St. Valentine’s name. rcg.org...

Everyone thinks they know the origin of Valentine's Day. According to the most commonly accepted story, Emperor Claudius of Rome issued a decree forbidding marriage in the year 271. Roman generals had found that married men did not make very good soldiers, because they wanted to return as quickly as possible to their wives and children-and they didn't want to leave them to fight the emperor's battles in the first place. So Claudius issued his edict that there should be no more marriages, and all single men should report for duty. rense.com...

?What will ATS members be doing on this celebration day of romance. Please share your stories of past Valentines Day as well.

As for myself I am content to avoid spending ridiculous amounts of cash on overpriced cards and romantic meals for two.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

Well damn, i liked the Romans name picking better then todays flowers and candy. Actually I will be hanging with my puppys and watching my kid play video games. Truly exciting stuff.

new topics

join